S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Are you dissappointed in your w140?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls550, s320, 300se,323ic
Since this will be my first post here, I will start off with a bang.
My 140 is junk.
I have owned MB since 84 starting with a 123 (great car wish I still owned it). Then several 126 again great car. The 123 and 126 are cars that anyone can work on. So my wife wanted a newer car, along came a 1997 s320. Bought from a old lady who only drove it when in town. Now open up the check book. Car won't start, towed to dealer several times (allways started at dealer) finally replaced trasmission cable. Failed heater motor controller$$$. Besides numerous other small problems allong came the head gasket. Then the trasmission failed. My transmission was removed 9 times, 6 times by 2 different indys then 3 times by the dealer, who finally installed a used trans. The looks of the car? My 89 300se has less rust. So I just bought a 09 CLS550 and I can't wait untill the 140 is gone.
BTW 1996 S320 For Sale.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1997 Mercedes S420
Dissappointment with W140

The grief you have experienced with your purchase from "a little old lady who only drove in town" serves all of us as a reminder that when a used car is purchased it is ALWAYS worth the cost of an inspection and report by a competent mechanic prior to transaction. The doesn't mean the mechanic will find everything but it does mean that your sense of the vehicle will get past appearance and apparent operation.

I am sorry you had this experience and hope your new car is a much more pleasurable vehicle for you.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
alot of little old ladies are stingy and won't spend money on maint.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM

cls550, s320, 300se,323ic
Originally Posted by oldsinner111
alot of little old ladies are stingy and won't spend money on maint.

The money was spent and the car was well taken care of. When I bought the car there was only 30k miles on it and 4 years old.
I just feel the 140 is an over engineered car and expensive to repair.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:00 AM

1997 S500 coupe
I just brought a 1997 S500 coupe w140 really nice for4, 500 now I know I was going to have some problems with it but so far all I had to do is get a heater valve for now this part new cost about 6/7 hundred dollars thank god I found a use one for a hundred on ebay but my girl hate the car she said I spend more money on the car than her but is worth it an be sides if my girl leave I can still keep my car just kidding I love the car very very nice so far
Old 12-07-2013, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

s320
Dear 97; be prepared soon to replace your flex disk,on the driveshaft.Just maint. done now will save money down the road.
I always spend between 500 and a 1000 on parts when I buy a Benz for maint. parts.It gives you years of trouble free driving.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 PM

1992 500 SEL
I am new to this whole world of w140 ownership, a very well thought out vehicle, especially easy to work on, and lots of genuine entertainment to drive.
I recently got a w140 that was destined for a salvage yard, the problem it had was dirt under the distributor caps, a faulty blower fan, and the oil filter in a car 22 years old, was the same one installed at the factory when the car was assembled. Alitle bit of tinkering, a little cleaning, and just a few dollars at a salvage yard, the car runs fine, the air circulation and heating and cooling is okay, (cost 16 dollars for the blower motor), took twenty minutes to install, it is nothing short of amazing as to how easy the maintenance is on that bodystyle.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 PM

1988 Mercedes 300SEL, 1991 Lexus LS400, 1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate, 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville
I will chime in here now. I am a bit disappointed as well, but I love my W140, lol. I wanted a W140 for years, researched, etc. I knew all of the big trouble areas and wanted one that had all of these issues addressed, so I went out and purchased a local 1-owner 1993 400SEL with service records stacked to the top of the trunk since day #1, including the $82K window sticker.

This car had already had the main engine wiring harness replaced, A/C evaporator, blower motor, heater core, valve cover gaskets (one is apparently already leaking again less than 2 years old on right rear of engine - can smell hot oil after driving), air pump, etc over the past 4 years. One repair (a/c evap) alone was $3400, which is $100 more than I gave for the car. I thought I was smooth sailing, I had a 1-owner W140 with all of the big items already addressed - I am good to go now right? Not really.

Well I drove the car a few weeks after purchase in September of 2012 and soon developed a rough hot starting issue... in March 2013 it had got so bad, there were times it would not start, or would and run rough, so I parked it. I finally sold another used car to have some money to spend on the MB. Turns out the check engine light never worked (wrong bulb in there apparently). Well I had the car to three different Mercedes mechanics and the car made a liar out of me, ran fine, ever stalled, or had any hard starting issues. Really never did know what the issue was, but it seems OK now. One said no clue - couldn't find no problems. One ran in Seafoam through the tank and car does run better. One said distributor caps/rotors had some corrosion, cleaned up, runs even better now - actually like a new car now- he also repaired the check engine light with new bulb (someone had put in wrong bulb??) - cleared all old codes - there were no new codes.

He said the clutch fan was getting weak - the car will run up to the line above 80°C in stop/go city traffic. This was not a problem when I last drove it in early 2013. Another mechanic said I had a temperature sensor (one of the temp sensors on the front top engine - it was the one in the center - he said it had something to do with the ignition and engine temperature and may have something to do with that fan) needed replaced, so took back to him today and he replaced it today for $45.00 (parts/labor). He said he thought my fan was ok - so I am confused, lol.

Well the car is running fine now, except the left turn signal does not even work 1/2 of the time and now when I use it, it turns off the radio and now the radio will not turn off when the key removed. Passenger side signal works, but it will also cause radio to turn off. No one knows what is wrong, not even MB mechanic. Trunk pull down has stopped working - sometimes the soft door closers work, sometimes they don't - no big deal, I don't need them, but there are times my left rear door will not open from the outside even when unlocked. I would like to have my trunk seal tight, but heard this was costly repair!!

Parts are high, very few people around here will even touch them and a lot of strange things happen to these cars.

I love how the car rides, drives and feels so solid and safe. I just wasn't expecting these other small issues that no one could figure out on it - mostly this current issue with the radio and turn signals.

Overall I love the car, but so many people tell me to sell... they say it is a rich mans used car... and that I am not... NOT RICH. lol.

I have a 2012 Honda that is paid for and of course it is reliable and I still have 31K miles left on the warranty, so no worries from this car for awhile. I just want to get my W140 working right and be able to enjoy it.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

s320
order your parts online,I buy thru ebay good parts,learn to do some maint. yourself really saves money.expect to buy parts after a 160,000 miles and water pump around 200k.I'm lucky I do all my work,with exception of interior trim.Good luck fellow tennessean
Old 04-06-2014, 05:14 PM

1988 Mercedes 300SEL, 1991 Lexus LS400, 1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate, 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville
Yeah that is the cheapest way. I just cant do major mechanical or major electrical... like the screwy issue I have with my turn signals and radio right now. Even the MB mechanics I have spoke to said they do not know. The turn signals when used will turn off the radio and the left one only works when it wants to and will make a clicking sound in the dash.

I am very close to trading this once $82,000 Mercedes for a 1993 GM car that once cost $26,000 - at least someone could work on it or can steer you in the direction to repair once you know what it is. lol.

Last edited by 86560sel; 04-06-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Just bought a 1999 S500 with only 80K on the clock. The dealer in question (out of state, Private Collection Motors) lied about the driver's seat, it is stuck in the highest position possible. You would have to be 5ft tall to drive this car and not notice the seat in this position. Pure bull****. A $2500 repair at the dealer, it needs a whole new seat motor. 2 local shops wouldn't touch it because of the labor involved. Not happy, but I expected something to need attention, but I didn't expect it to be delivered in such a condition. This is why I HATE dealing with anyone on a used car in another state.

Haven't even got the drive the car really yet. I expect to have the car back this wed and then the AMG wheels arrive which I'll have installed this Friday or Saturday. Not happy so far.

If this car becomes a money pit I will sell it and most likely get a late model/facelifted (1999-2002) R129 SL500 that I think is more worthy of the expensive upkeep than the W140.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 04-07-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 AM

1999 S500 Grand Edition
The R129 SL's are actually more costly than a W140 car. Same power plants, same crazy pneumatic locking system plus all of the convertible top motor-hydraulic repairs. It is around $3k to go those top repairs.

I had a great independent mechanic in Jacksonville and got a pretty good education on Mercedes from him. They had a early 90s R129 for sale and he talked me out of it.

The key to any of these cars is NOT to buy sight unseen and get a ppi before purchase. I learned that one the hard way as well!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And I did that and they still didn't catch the seat or they simply lied about it. Really frustrating.

The R129 I think would be more worth it, IMO. I hope I don't regret buying this W140 S500. If I can't get it "right" within the budget I have in my mind, it is outta here.

I only want to get about 2 years or so out of it, just so I can have the experience. I don't intend to keep it forever.

M
Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 PM

1994 S420
I Love My Car...I Hate My Car

As the title states, I love my car...I hate my car. When this old German lady runs she's like nobody else. When I need to repair her, she is like nobody else! She's picky when it come to OEM parts, she hates aftermarket anythings, and rejects it within a short period of time. When it come to her beverage of choice, she likes the expensive stuff. When a problem arises, and it will, she will act like the problem is "HERE" and its always somewhere else. She just loves to keep you guessing, I think in her mind she's "playing had to fix"! She always wants me to prove my devoted love to her by emptying out my wallet, especially at the most inconvenient times. She wants my leisure time too as she sits in the driveway waiting to be pampered and bathed! She's a very heavy set lady, and she's murder on her brake shoes and tires. Any my insurance company must be related to her because they treat me the same way! I love my car...I hate my car!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
I bought a 97 S500 coupe last year 164k miles, had a PPI, flushed all fluids and changed one engine coil. Got a great deal on the price and have placed the car on several road trips (over 700 miles) and it drives like a dream. The speed and power and the balance is exceptional even in winter weather(surprise storm) the car has exceeded my expectations. It is a 17 year old car so it's not unusual for small things to start to break and this will happen to any vehicle regardless of original msrp. These issues aren't a major concern as this isn't my primary transportation but I have an expectation of $800 for annual maintenance as an average, and expect at least one major issue $2500k, outside of that range may consider retiring the car. As the owner of few older cars (1990 Honda Accord and a 2000 RX300) that I bought new, and both are experienced issues. RX needed a tranny and having issues with power door locks, the Accord rear wing lights and power window. The cars are like me as I age little things don't operate as well as when new, but with proper maintenance and repairs for the cars, and exercise for me, this old soldier plans to be around to enjoy the cars!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

s320
I just put a newer engine,in my w140.I plan to keep it till I die.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update: I am so satisfied with my 1999 S500. I have driven it for days on end now and it is just satisfying to drive. The ride is great and on certain types of pavement, like fresh black top (like the North Dallas Tollway) it just glides like it is on air. Love this car. Plan on keeping it forever also. She does need attention though. Drivers side door auto close stopped working.

M
Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1997 Mercedes S420
No Disappointment Here!

I too enjoy my 1997 S420 and am convinced that I will never sell it. Of course, at age 70 never isn't all that long.

It is a wonderful automobile, is exceedingly safe to operate, "floats like a butterfly", and gives me no trouble at all after 256,000 + miles. Everything is original except for user service parts like tires, filters, fluids, and so on.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 PM

w140
Originally Posted by ghost
Are you dissappointed in your W140?

Dont misunderstand my question. I am sure most of you love your w140's, like i do.

But arent you dissappointed in what you have had to face in quality issues, maintenance problems, money $$ and effort you had to put in dealing with these problems ! Specially for a car cost so much, and supposedly has a reputation of a high quality and a prominent name !

I raise this subject, because i have owned few w140's and i have been a car broker for over 10 years, and have driven, owned, bought and sold all kinds of cars from A to z, over and over.

Anything can go wrong with the w140. Even simple stuff that doesnt even go wrong with cars thousands and thousands less and with double the miles of a w140. Its a shame, to see a car like the w140 that is 100k new and have to encounter poor quality issues that you never face with cars that have double the miles or abou 20k new (i.e honda, toyota,buicks.. etc.).

My car has around 84k, and i baby it to the most part. i have put less then 7k in year and half, and i had issues with sunroof, my window buttons sinking in, my keys, the rear shocks, speakers, and now the good old expensive climate control problem (heater/ac), among other issues.

Yes you have some people that drive their car for a year and not have to face these issues. But i think they are lucky so far, or have not YET encountered issues.

I bought my best friend a 97 s420 with 60k, looked virtually new. Now a year later, he has to replace the transmission. Even though its a 97 and one of the last years of the w140s.(supposedly better built)

Dont get me wrong, i love the w140s. I consider myself a w140 addict, always felt they are the most powerful looking automobiles on the road. Even though i owned a few so far, every time i see one, i still double look at it and admire it. They have their good qualities. They have great presence. They scream success, they make you feel good. Almost like a feel good Drug.

I feel like the w140 is like an expensive hot trophy girlfriend. You spend alot of $$ on her, because you like the way it looks or perhaps the way she makes you feel when your with her or in public.

Please comment if you have any dissappointment or dissatisfaction with the ownership of your w140s ?

Are the issues raised in this post justified?

Are your ties with the w140's more of an emotional issue? (rather then quality, performance, and logic).

Do you think that buying a different car would have been or would be a better choice in future?

Please comment about any mixed feelings regarding your w140?
Over the years I have had three w140's the latest being s280 a gorgeous carfrom new.It was supposed to be the last car I ever bought. I found that every time I serviced it at the main dealers, the car was always returned to me damaged. It was very frustrating.it seemed that the r people, who should know everything about the car, knew nothing about it.If they fixedsomething,they always broke the next part go here they worked.it got to the point that I had to content. Myself to the damage to prevent. Worse. Finally, after 8years and 90,000 miles the car was still like new but the edge of the exhaust under the bumper fell off setting fire to my car on holiday and I lost the whole car.I approached Mercedes telling them,and they told me that I messed about with the exhaust,something that I did not do,and it was my own fault.which it clearly was not.to be fare to the car,it was never running better than the day it went up in smoke.the incident almost completely ruined my life.people I was to have visited and we're very old,I was not able,etc to go to them,a division now they too are gone.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Checking out a 1998 one-owner S420 tmrw...wish me luck!
PL
Old 04-23-2015, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

s320
check if oilers,have been changed,and heater tee.