S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Are you dissappointed in your w140?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
Are you dissappointed in your w140?

Are you dissappointed in your W140?

Dont misunderstand my question. I am sure most of you love your w140's, like i do.

But arent you dissappointed in what you have had to face in quality issues, maintenance problems, money $$ and effort you had to put in dealing with these problems ! Specially for a car cost so much, and supposedly has a reputation of a high quality and a prominent name !

I raise this subject, because i have owned few w140's and i have been a car broker for over 10 years, and have driven, owned, bought and sold all kinds of cars from A to z, over and over.

Anything can go wrong with the w140. Even simple stuff that doesnt even go wrong with cars thousands and thousands less and with double the miles of a w140. Its a shame, to see a car like the w140 that is 100k new and have to encounter poor quality issues that you never face with cars that have double the miles or abou 20k new (i.e honda, toyota,buicks.. etc.).

My car has around 84k, and i baby it to the most part. i have put less then 7k in year and half, and i had issues with sunroof, my window buttons sinking in, my keys, the rear shocks, speakers, and now the good old expensive climate control problem (heater/ac), among other issues.

Yes you have some people that drive their car for a year and not have to face these issues. But i think they are lucky so far, or have not YET encountered issues.

I bought my best friend a 97 s420 with 60k, looked virtually new. Now a year later, he has to replace the transmission. Even though its a 97 and one of the last years of the w140s.(supposedly better built)

Dont get me wrong, i love the w140s. I consider myself a w140 addict, always felt they are the most powerful looking automobiles on the road. Even though i owned a few so far, every time i see one, i still double look at it and admire it. They have their good qualities. They have great presence. They scream success, they make you feel good. Almost like a feel good Drug.

I feel like the w140 is like an expensive hot trophy girlfriend. You spend alot of $$ on her, because you like the way it looks or perhaps the way she makes you feel when your with her or in public.

Please comment if you have any dissappointment or dissatisfaction with the ownership of your w140s ?

Are the issues raised in this post justified?

Are your ties with the w140's more of an emotional issue? (rather then quality, performance, and logic).

Do you think that buying a different car would have been or would be a better choice in future?

Please comment about any mixed feelings regarding your w140?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec, 1996 S320 & 2006 E320 CDI Sold to my son & 2017 GMC 2500 Diesel Pick up
Thumbs up OH...MY.....GOD as she would say

I relate more to one of your statements "I feel like the w140 is like an expensive hot trophy girlfriend. You spend alot of $$ on her, because you like the way it looks or perhaps the way she makes you feel when your with her or in public." I love driving my w140 ! The only issues I have are small ones. 1) Cost of repair 2) Radio reception 3) cost of repair !!! I have 107K on my S320, drives great I drive all the time. This is my 2nd MB & the nicest auto I've ever owned. I will go smaller next time, maybe skl 320.
Thanks for the chance to share and I hope you have less issues in the future and miles of great driving.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:31 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
Let's put it this way, about two years ago I paid $30k for a brand new Honda Odyssey with all the bells and whistles. After just 16k miles of driving the transmission digested itself. I was given an inadequate loaner car for two weeks while they located a new transmission for my van. This is my definition of disappointment, what a piece of crap that thing was/is. Leather faced seats, vinyl elsewhere, carpet that barely covered the metal floopan, power only on the driver's seat, etc. What a disappointment.

Four months later, I sold it and purchased my '95 S420 for $12,500 with a full four-year unlimited mileage warranty. My payments are now half of what they used to be and the smile is hard wipe off my face.

There is simply no substitute for MB in my book, I have owned them for 15 years now and loved every one, this is my 11th. I buy them, fix what is broken and sell them for close to what I paid. There are certainly many areas for concern on these cars (W140s), but considering the vast amount of technology involved I expect there to be issues. Much like the trophy girlfriend analogy. Consider the mid '90s 740i/iL, a great car by any standard, many of which had to have their engines replaced.

Bottom line for me is, if I wanted boring, I would have bought a Toyota pickup. What I wanted was something interesting, but not too interesting (Land Rover) that I could take on the road, and that is exactly what I got.

-D
Old 10-22-2004, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W140 is actually the pinnacle of german engineering, it was one of the last mercedes to be truly hand built and put together. now everything is robotics and etc. sure it has its mishaps but all cars do. I think its well worth it becuase the engineering that went into our cars was years ahead of its time and so many of the common extra features in most cars today were availble LONG ago in the first 93 W140's. I love it, especially my 6cyl b/c its pretty much bullet proof hehe.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:48 PM

1998 E300

Hey everyone...
as many of you already know, 97/98 was the year of the merge with chryster, and perhaps the down fall of quality coming out of the mercedes factories. In 96, they came out with the new 5 speed transmission that is "fill for life," if there is even such a thing. As for prices, the w140 is an S-class, so parts are always going to be more. I am a firm believer in preventative maintinence, so as long as you treat your car well, it will do the same back. You can always save a couple of bucks doing the maintinence yourself, my pop and I take our time while working on the 600, but it is very enjoyable...
Old 10-31-2004, 07:37 PM

1998 cl 600
Ghost,

Your post hits home for me. I love my MB, like everyone else on here, but I have been disappointed in the amount of problems I have had.

I like the hot trophy girlfriend comment, but I expect if I take care of her and treat her right that when the time comes she will "perform." That has not always been the case with my CL. I still love her, but she is a pain in the butt - maybe a more appropriate comparison is a trophy wife!

Z
Old 10-31-2004, 08:29 PM

1987 300SDL aka the "Money Pit"
I don't even own a W140 but am thinking about one.

"I feel like the w140 is like an expensive hot trophy girlfriend. You spend alot of $$ on her, because you like the way it looks or perhaps the way she makes you feel when your with her or in public."

Stick W126 in their and that is about how I feel now!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Almost a Member!

96' S420
I have had a few problems but I manage

This is my second MB my first was a W126 and I redid my interior wood, stereo, leather... fixed problems like my sunroof, heater, ABS brakes not working properly.

And now I finally bought my first W140 and I feel really comfortable with this car. Being that it is an older car there are more options for used parts and oem, (Ebay, Wrecking yards etc.). I just replaced my front headlight lens for $52 (new)versus paying MB $650-$700 for the whole unit. My rear view mirror was falling apart and was able to fix it. Personally I enjoy it when something minor goes wrong because I feel more attached to my MB (cheesy I know) when I am able to fix it. I hope nothing major ever goe's wrong with it but if it did I would fix it. I think Mercedes are one of the best aging cars on the market.

My 86 W126 was totalled 2 weeks ago (in show room condition) when this lady made a left hand turn on a red light and I ran into her and totalled my car. My heart sunk because that car not only saved my life (literally) but took a piece of me with her. I see other cars on the road that are new and look at my 9 year old car and wouldn't trade it for any of the new ones. My mother just bought a Toyota Avalon and it is no comparion. Nice but Japenese vs German. W126 and W140 Kick *** in my opinion!

Now does anyone know what the heck is wrong with my heater? It sucks (it works but not very well) 78 degrees feels like 65. Something is wrong.

Last edited by MEINBNZ; 11-13-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if you are worried about reliability in terms of drivetrain just get the 6cyl S320. i love my 300SE and its an awesome car. I'm going to put some springs on it (eibach) and then rework the exhaust and intake and then be finished with it. The motors are strong motors, they put down 200HP at the wheels which is same as my stock M3 motor, not bad if you ask me. the 6cyl is bulletproof and actually gets decent gas mileage if you can resist to put your foot down. hope that helps.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Banned

1995 w140 s500
just changed my starter, flywheel, motor mounts, belt for a price of 1300. but listen the car drives like its new, I swear the day I bought it with 0 miles to this day it drives the same. The dealer said I may have a factory power house. I finally took it to the track and ran a 14.5 I call that FACTORY BEAST! I'm gonna run it one last time to get the 14.3/14.4 mark
Old 11-15-2004, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by s0vietbenz
just changed my starter, flywheel, motor mounts, belt for a price of 1300. but listen the car drives like its new, I swear the day I bought it with 0 miles to this day it drives the same. The dealer said I may have a factory power house. I finally took it to the track and ran a 14.5 I call that FACTORY BEAST! I'm gonna run it one last time to get the 14.3/14.4 mark
your car modded could easily run 13's with intake, chip and exhaust. just a suggetions :v
Old 11-20-2004, 07:38 PM

2018 GLS63 AMG
I couldn't be happier with my 1998 S600. I bought it in early 2000 and it now has 54,000 miles on it and has been problem free except for a oil leak that was fixed under warranty. I do not drive the car much and so far the most expensive service was the 50K. You have to expect a certain amount of money to be spent on maintenance with these high performance luxury cars, after all, they do not cost $68K-$138K new for nothing. If I wanted a relatively problem free auto with cheap maintenance, I would have bought a Accord or Camry. This has been my ninth Mercedes and by far the most enjoyable. I had a 1978 450 SEL, 1982 380 SE (euro spec), 1985 380 SEL, 1986 420 SEL, 1989 260 E, 1989 560 SEL, 1991 300 SL, 1996 S320, and finally the 1998 S600. I spent the most money on the 300 SL which was an electrical nightmare! I have also kept this one the longest and do not see myself trading it for a newer model anytime soon. The W140 is one of the best built and still holds respect no matter where you go.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:59 PM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Originally Posted by s0vietbenz

drag racing an s class!!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 10:54 PM

To leloz !

Leloz:

I really cant believe you just said that.

Your telling us that if you wanted a more reliable, better built, less problematic car you would have bought a camry or accord ! !

So basically you find it ok, to pay an additional $100,000 MORE for a car that is of lesser quality reliability, and of more maintenance problems......why....because of so called respect !

I think , its the opposite, your disrespecting yourself for allowing this.

Look, i am not talking about if you love your w140... we all do..no one is debating that... infact i have owned 3 w140s.because i like them alot... been in the auto industry as a broker for 15 years...and consider myself a w140 addict and a member of all w140 forums i can get my hands on....and bought and sold many w140s among other cars.

But i have enough common sense to find it unexcusable and unacceptable ! to pay up to $135000 in some cases for car A that has more reliability problems than car B costing 1/5 the price.

I want to bring awareness, and not have us be blinded by image or name, thus making false claims like the car is best built, best quality, best reliability.......Its not fair to us or to future prespective owners.

And I think enough people are becoming aware of that, and finding that throwing tens of thousands $$$ more on a car that is less reliable, is foolish and unacceptable ! Thats why Mercedes has dropped from the top of best rated cars to the bottom of the list due to poor quality issues.

We have to make it clear that when you pay $ thousand upon thousands upon thousands more for a car it should be better built and more reliable than another cost costing thousands, and thousands less. It only makes sense. We can not continue to hide behind so called respect, image or name. We love our w140s enough to at least to admitt that and demand better !

Thank you

thank you
Old 11-22-2004, 12:47 AM

2018 GLS63 AMG
We all have our opinions and I appreciate you expressing yours. My two W140s were virtually problem free. When you buy these cars you have to keep in mind that parts and maintenance is expensive. I really do not understand what you can't believe or why such a long drawn out response was necessary. I just posted my opinion, thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:07 AM

ghost

I think that you've got it backwards. In my opinion, the correlation between price and reliability falls off after about $50,000. Above this price you are paying for more; more power, more performance, more sophistication. The price of this is more attention.

Using your argument, a million dollar car should run forever with no attention. On the contrary, the McLarren F1, the Enzo Ferrari and other super cars require very expensive service and upkeep. What do you think it cost to maintain a new Turbo Bently or a Saleen S7?

By the way, my well maintained 1998 S600 has been virtually problem free and is a joy to drive every day.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:22 PM

leloz:

Please dont take what i mentioned personal. The reason for the long post is to cover the points i needed to mention. I know you have been lucky and you havent faced much reliability issues. But i am talking of my experience in the car industry, and the experience of the majority of w140. Just read the issues on this forum and other mercedes forums, or even talk to a service manager at an mb dealership about the issues they run into.
I also have a charcoal 92 300sl with 80k on it, and i know what you talking about the electric nightmare leloz. I dont even drive it much, and i just had to replace the electric window regulator assembly..almost $800, to have the driver window working probably......This leads me to answer the walkstep.

walkstep:

I am not trying to formulate a linear direct proportional mathematical equation based on price. As i mentioned previously, i have been in the car industry for 15 years so i dealt with many issues that your average car owner doesnt see. I also know that some expensive cars like ferrari , saleen supercar,etc..are expensive to maintain. For example an oil change on an enzo ferrari is $750, to replace the brakes is about $24,000... etc...etc... Bigger and more complicated engines with more horsepower require bigger and more complicated and costly maintenance.. This is acceptable and understandable......

But what is not unacceptable, is when you pay a $100,000 more for another car, you would expect the standard items to function good or at least better then a car costing 1/5 of the price. Why should i and many other w140 owners have to deal with sunroof problems when the car only has 70k or even less. I have bought and sold many camrys, hondas and even chevys and have not come across something like that at low miles. I have even seen some of these cars have 175,000 and still not face an issue like that. Having to deal black tar breaking down ,blocking and prohibiting your sunroof from opening and closing is simply unacceptable, not at 40k, 70k, or 100k. There are many other quality issues.. I had my windows buttons sink in the center console, light bulbs not functioning properly over and over again. Speakers becoming fuzzy, keys comming off the base, the closing latch assembly on the hood becoming loose and out of place, air conditioning and heat problems, window problems...etc..etc.... These and other quality issues are some of the problems that i and many mercedes owners face, and what is sad they are happening on cars with 40k, 50k, 70k, 90k...Just go and search the mercedes forums online, and you will see quality and reliability problems all over the posts....

So excuse me if i find it unacceptable that a car like a honda accord or camry or nissan etc..etc..can build a standard item like an electrical window, light bulb, air conditioning, sunroof ...last longer and function better, with less problems then a car costing 5 times as much.... like a mercedes...

These are just standard items in your normal car, your window going up and down, sunroof going back and forth, heater and a/c working properly, light bulbs, buttons..pumps..etc....These are not your big 700 horsepower advanced motors that i am talking about...just basic equipments...

I love my w140, but i will not make claims that is the best built, most reliable..best car....etc...etc... yes you will get respect with this car like the other poster mentioned, but i am not blinded by respect or love of this car to automatically jump to defend the car and trying to justify why its not the case.....anytime owners try to point out the unacceptable quality problems with their mercedes.

thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 06:54 AM

2018 GLS63 AMG
I can fully understand where you are coming from and do not worry no offense taken, after all this is the internet I was just posting my response to the title of this thread: "Are you dissapointed in your W140?" In which my response was "no." Maybe it has to deal with how well your vehicle is maintained? But whatever it is, I had excellent experiences with my S320 and S600. The main reason I haven't bought a newer model is because a good friend of mine is a MB Master Tech and he said the W220 is full of problems the W140 did not have. I have been an auto collector since the 80s and have seen my share of German cars.. and generally they are very expensive to keep running once they get older. I spent $11,000 in one year to keep a 1989 928 S4 running! I guess we all have different experiences, and since you have dealt with many of these cars you probably know about the W140 in a more general sense. My experience is purely specific to the two I have owned. I am an engineer and my side business is an ebay based luxury car sale venture.. however I stick with antiques and collectibles. One thing I can say with confidence is they do not make cars like they used to!!
Old 11-25-2004, 07:13 PM

1994 S320
1994 S320...It'll pass everything but a repair garage...

WOW, This has to be the simply the best looking car on the road. However, after spending thousands of dollars trying to keep this beauty up I am thinking of buying a bike. I have replaced everything including: wiring harness at $1500.00, transmission at $4500.00, numerous electrical problems costing around $1800.00, A/C $1150.00, headlight assembly, both rt/lt $1200.00. Yes folks, that's over a thousand dollars a year beyond the regular maintainence like oil changes every 4000 miles, new tires, insurance, and I only have 103000 miles on it. If this car was hand built, i have a feeling the guy in charge of final assembly only had one hand. I have also noticed that the local MBZ dealer is about as nice as a wet pit bull. I'm not sure what to do next. Should i just wait for the next costly breakdown, or should I sell it to some poor unsuspetcting buyer that comes along? Like i said above, this car is the best looking car on the road, but at a cost.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:13 PM

S280
MBZS

What else would you buy is probably the answer to your question. If the answer is "I would be happy with a reliable mainstream car" then you should probably do that.

My personal view (and please don't slate me Ghost) is that owning a W140 is more personal than just a ride. I just can't get excited about driving anything else. This is why most owners will say they are happy regardless. They just accept the unacceptable.

I accept that there is practically nothing practical about a W140. It huge, it's thirsty (£95 to fill in the UK), 3 point turns make you look foolish, maintenance is sky high but there is no other car (supercars and super prestige following a lottery win excluded) that I would want to own.

I look at it this way. If I owned a Honda/Ford and the window broke, once fixed I still own a Honda/Ford. It might cost a lot more but once repaired your Trophy girl is once again there and you own probably the best MB ever to be produced.

The acronym of Trophy Girl is so apt. You know she is going to be expensive to maintain, you know that she will cost you heaps, you know that you are going to have to do everything within your power to keep her happy and if she lets you down it's gonna hurt but ultimately the feeling of owning such a beauty fools your mind from all logical emotions.

In years to come I hope to own an S500 or S600 but the one thing I fear is that there will be few good ones left. (LELOZ - one like yours would do nicely)It was a sad day in 1999 when the W140 ceased production.

One final point. Ghost-I fully understand what you are saying but I also look at things in reverse. Back in 1996 an S600 could have cost you £100,000+ in the UK and was probably out of the reach for many. In 2005 you can probably get a good example for £10,000. If you take the comments of s0vietbenz where he says that his $1300 made his car drive like new then I see that as a positive cost saving whilst still owning a 100k car.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
When I got this car, 4 weeks ago, I couldn't sleep at night just to go down to Garage and drive it again.

My mechanic who is fanatical about his own 98 S500 told me right away, "you got yourself a wife now, be good to her and she will do you good, or else."

I would never pay more than $20000 for this kind of a car, cause i dont think a vehicle is ever worth that much. I cann even picture anyone paying 90k for this brand new, but god bless them, thanks to them taking the biggest depreciation hit I am a proud owner of a 500SEL for pennies.

I think this is one of the best cars of its time, and still. It handles like a dream even in tight corners, surprisingly, and at high speeds, 130+ its as stable as a tank, and that rates high in my books.

Next car will be either E420 Sport, or BMW 740I Sport.

I do believe its best to buy the best example money can buy, than buying a fixer upper.

Last edited by tbilisi79; 09-07-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:33 AM

S320 & 500SL
Smile

Originally Posted by leloz
I couldn't be happier with my 1998 S600. I bought it in early 2000 and it now has 54,000 miles on it and has been problem free except for a oil leak that was fixed under warranty. I do not drive the car much and so far the most expensive service was the 50K. You have to expect a certain amount of money to be spent on maintenance with these high performance luxury cars, after all, they do not cost $68K-$138K new for nothing. If I wanted a relatively problem free auto with cheap maintenance, I would have bought a Accord or Camry. This has been my ninth Mercedes and by far the most enjoyable. I had a 1978 450 SEL, 1982 380 SE (euro spec), 1985 380 SEL, 1986 420 SEL, 1989 260 E, 1989 560 SEL, 1991 300 SL, 1996 S320, and finally the 1998 S600. I spent the most money on the 300 SL which was an electrical nightmare! I have also kept this one the longest and do not see myself trading it for a newer model anytime soon. The W140 is one of the best built and still holds respect no matter where you go.
I would like to hear more about your bad experienced with the 300 SL.I always like the SL, maybe i will own it someday.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:16 PM

S280
Originally Posted by joetucc
Hey everyone...
as many of you already know, 97/98 was the year of the merge with chryster, and perhaps the down fall of quality coming out of the mercedes factories. In 96, they came out with the new 5 speed transmission that is "fill for life," if there is even such a thing. As for prices, the w140 is an S-class, so parts are always going to be more. I am a firm believer in preventative maintinence, so as long as you treat your car well, it will do the same back. You can always save a couple of bucks doing the maintinence yourself, my pop and I take our time while working on the 600, but it is very enjoyable...

Joetucc

Couple of things I wanted to ask about your comments. Was the merge you mention only applicable to the US? Also are you saying that potentially a 1995 or 1996 W140 is going to be better built than a 97, 98 or 99?
Old 09-08-2005, 04:20 PM
SSL
Almost a Member!

W140;R107
Not disappointed.

In replying to Ghost`s original question.

So far I have owned two W140s both of which have been my daily business driver and they have been excellent. Neither has ever let me down. Keeping my fingers crossed `cos I bought my first V8 today,an S500L which is going to be taking over the driving duties. I have put 60,000 on my S280 in the last two and half years and the newbie is going to have to do the same.

It`s a 1997 with 58,000 miles. Eight years ago it would have cost £77,000 nearly double that in US$ terms. Today it cost just over one tenth of that amount. In a sense that is a nice irrelevance because DB designed these cars to be serviced and maintained in such a way that as the years pass the cost of looking after them, either within the MB franchise or at independent specialists, becomes less sense. They are great cars but if you start passing on the maintence schedule they will bite in an unpleasant way.

For my part I have been fortunate enough really use my cars and had the means to look after them. Perhaps because of there usage it has benefitted rather than have them laid-up over the week and taken out as as weekend or fun drive.

So, no I recognise the point that Ghost is making but my experience has been not been tinged with disappointment and I have everything crossed that the S500 will prove to be the most enjoyable of them all.

Chris.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

98 CL600
Originally Posted by Supercon
Joetucc

Couple of things I wanted to ask about your comments. Was the merge you mention only applicable to the US? Also are you saying that potentially a 1995 or 1996 W140 is going to be better built than a 97, 98 or 99?
I really can't see where the merger made a difference in quality.... the cars are certainly different, but go down to the dealer and look at a new CL600 and tell me that my 98 model is better.

Anyway, just spent something like 5800 bucks at the dealer over the last couple of weeks on maintainance.... Had to send it back two days after they were done with it. I think the jury's still out on the reliability issue. I've had other German cars before (2 Porsches, 1 Audi), and they are all expensive to maintain. I used to have a Ferrari 308, and it was also a bit pricey to maintain, although it was really just a fun car, not an everyday kind of thing.

Until recently, I drove an Infiniti Q45. Built like a tank, very comfy, and as reliable a car as I've owned. The service dept could teach Mercedes what customer service means.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Are you dissappointed in your w140?