S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

W140 S500 Very strange electrical situation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 W140 S500
W140 S500 Very strange electrical situation

Hey all. I am looking for some help with this strange electrical issues that started two days ago, but got really bad yesterday.

What began happening two days ago was when I signaled right, the left turn signal came on, and when I signaled left, the left worked normally as it should. This issue was fixed for the rest of the day when I turned my car off, and started it up again.

yesterday, however, everything was working normally until it was happening again. Only this time, it got worse as time went on. Now, when I signal left, nothing happens. When I signal right, the left signal turns on. The aftermarket radio would not turn on anymore. Further in the day, the windows stopped rolling up, the airbag off light turned on, and the wipers do not work, along with the same signaling issue.

Randomly, everything works perfectly after cycling the key on and off, but the next key cycle it all doesn't work again. I had this happen twice yesterday.

So, the long story short:
Everything was fine for two days after purchase of the car.
Installed proper new battery because a smaller battery was installed by the previous owner.
Next day, turn signal issues happened one time, but stopped after turning the car on and off

Yesterday:
Signal left, there is no signal
Signal right, left turn signal turns on
No power to aftermarket radio
Power windows do not turn on
Windshield wipers do not turn on
"Airbag off" indicator turns on and flickers
Everything begins working again at random with a key cycle.

Today:
No turn signals, windows work intermittently, wipers work intermittently, heated seat switch. flash red

Any ideas here? I am stuck

I tried: Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, inspecting fuses (no issues there), and cycling the key on and off.

Battery was tested and found to be charged. Alternator load test passed. Any ideas?