S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Looking to buy an S-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No longer car shopping...
Originally Posted by AMGS500
As posted before, the MY2000 is the car to avoid.

On pre-MY2004 (btw including MY2003) you should expect two things to fail:

1) Airmatic pump

2) Instrument Cluster Panel

Unless they were replaced already, these items most likely to fail on pre-MY2004 W220. I had my IC and air pump replaced on MY2001.

Other than that there are no common problems known. Some of the S-Class owners report random issues (I am watching this and a couple of other forums for years).

Also I would STRONGLY recommend to get aftermarket warranty for as long as you can get it (2-3 years probably from companies like warrantydirect.com).

And also stay away from MY2000 model. There were a huge number of changes implemented in MY2001 (like COMAND upgrade, etc.).

The last thing is I prefer S500 because of many standard features that were optional on S430.

Good luck

I hear (and understand) your concerns but this guy appears to have a restriction on what he can spend. This means that although a MY2001 S500 may be a "good idea", he simply may not be able to afford that level. I agree that it would be wise to "plan" on spending the $'s it takes to address those common issues you mentioned in your post. If he takes into consideration your warnings and can pick the car up for around $22K, he may have a few thousand more to spend on the maintenance (or it may have already been done already by the prior owner). With only 30K miles on it, it's one of the lower milage oneson th emarket.

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-06-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Skylaw

That said, I love the car. As to driving, it is the embodiment of the fine luxury sedan. I drove a new Audi A8L some time ago, for comparison (I drove Audis for 20 years before buying my S500). I prefer the S500. Wish it was a 4-Matic; and if the right deal comes along, I will trade for one.

Good luck!
No sooner had I said this than I came across a gorgeous 2005 S500 4-Matic at the right price. Traded yesterday.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:55 AM

W220 S500 AMG
Post S500 4matic

Agreed, my next S-Class will be 4matic only!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
The cluster in older S classes is a big problem and they expensive to replace unless under warranty.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota Camry SE
haha you guyz are starting to scare me..

I just bought a 01 S500 for about a week now..

Knock on Wood - hoping the instrument cluster doesn't go out on me... or any other stuff...
Old 09-08-2005, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
haha you guyz are starting to scare me..

I just bought a 01 S500 for about a week now..

Knock on Wood - hoping the instrument cluster doesn't go out on me... or any other stuff...
Congrats on your purchase I have 80k on my S500 ... oil,plugs an rotors have been my only issues which is wonderful for me. I will gladly fix my airmatic when and if it goes ? The instument cluster can be fixed...You can search on the forum for repair detail. I am more than happy with my ride ! woooohooo !

ps. I have 5 buddys(not on the forum) who has the 2000-2002 S Class and has 0 issuses as well as a few Buds on this forum so do not sweat it and enjoy !
Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 AM

Toyota Camry SE
^
I feel a safer.. hehe..

The car only has about 45,000 km's = 28,272miles on a 2001
Old 09-10-2005, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
^
I feel a safer.. hehe..

The car only has about 45,000 km's = 28,272miles on a 2001
Sweet
Old 09-10-2005, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Check out my '00 S500

I have had very good luck w/ my car. Bought it new on 03/31/00. The only problems came right before the end of warranty, and dealer put in all new and updated COMAND system and new air pump for the airmatic system. It's all OE except for AMG wheels and Goodyear Eagle tires (still have the original wheels w/ Michelin X-Ice tires on them). 61,000 miles.

I haven't had a better car in my 63 years, and would buy it again in a NYC minute.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy an S-Class-new-wheels-003s.jpg   Looking to buy an S-Class-new-wheels-005s.jpg   Looking to buy an S-Class-new-wheels-011s.jpg  
Old 09-11-2005, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice ride ramp ... I luv mine too
Old 09-14-2005, 10:30 PM

No longer car shopping...
2000 S430 with 33,000 miles went for $28K

DSC2000 - Were you the winning bidder on the 2000 year S430 I pointed you towards on the net. Looks like the final price was $28,000. The car looks to be in good shape with 33K miles. Seems like it was a fair price for the right buyer and it was at your price target. Were you successfull in bidding? Here's the link to the final auction http://www.bid4assets.com/auction/in...ctionID=200087
Old 09-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 S600, 2002 S430, Bently Continental GT coming soon..., Falcon 50.
2002 S430

I have a 2002 S430 and I must say that I love the car. The car now has about 55K on it and hasn't had any major problems yet, knock on wood. When I bought this car it was between the S430 and S500. I test drove both and honestly couldn't tell much difference between the two. The S500 has the nappa leather on the interior, which can also be had as an option on the S430. The S500 also has burlwood trim where the S430 has some other type of wood, which I actually like a little bit better since its lighter. Other than that they are the same car. BTW the 30 extra horsepower in the S500 is hard to notice. If I where you and on a budget I would get a newer, lower mileage S430. Then when you have some more money saved up go for the S55, thats when you can really tell the difference in power. Good luck! Post some pics of your new car when you get it.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 PM

S500
Originally Posted by Ramp
I have had very good luck w/ my car. Bought it new on 03/31/00. The only problems came right before the end of warranty, and dealer put in all new and updated COMAND system and new air pump for the airmatic system. It's all OE except for AMG wheels and Goodyear Eagle tires (still have the original wheels w/ Michelin X-Ice tires on them). 61,000 miles.

I haven't had a better car in my 63 years, and would buy it again in a NYC minute.
Curious to know, why did the dealer update the comand system? was there a problem w/ your old one? i just bought a 2000 s500 w/ 51k miles. It has the starmark till 08/100k miles.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Comand

My dealer/serviceman had told me of some W220s that had problems w/ their COMAND system so I was looking for any sign that something might go wrong w/ mine before warrenty expired. When I noticed that my NAV was giving me incorrect information--telling me to turn when there was no turn or bogus milage information--I figured my CD was messed up. I have a very good dealer and when they couldn't determine exactly what was causing the problem, they replaced the entire system w/ a new (2004) COMAND and CD! They also checked and replaced several other possible problems at the time, which was just one week before the warrenty ended. I don't have an extended warrenty and haven't lost a minute of sleep.

These are EXCELLENT cars and extremely reliable. I don't think you have anything to worry about--especially w/ the warrenty you have. My theory is that when some people pay a lot for a car, they have unrealistic expectations of it, and complain bitterly when anything goes wrong.

Enjoy you S500!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'00 - '05 S500 differences

This is probably better-posted on some other threads - but folks sometimes ask for differences in models of the W220. I can't speak for all model years but I can compare the new 2005 to my former 2000, to some extent. From front to rear (sort of):

Hood and lower air intakes are restyled (probably much like the '03 facelift).

Air conditioning system has far more cooling capacity - something I really notice in Florida and in DC.

The suspension is much firmer; I kept my '00 on the intermediate ride setting always (except in crosswinds, when I would use the firmest setting). The '05 soft ride is at least as firm as the '00 was on intermediate setting, and provides excellent road feel.

The steering is more precise and responsive; this is probably because of the 17" wheels, vice the 16" on the '00. Even with stock Continentals, it is better than the '00 was with Michelin MXV-4s. Can't wait to get the Pilot Sport A/S on the '05.

That said, I was happier with the '00 W220 steering and handling than I was with the W140s I test drove before buying the '00; though well-built, the W140s handled "heavy," more like trucks than fine sedans. Mercedes made a good move in my book in re-tuning the suspension and steering for a sportier and more precise feel. They have improved it even more in the '05 vice the '00.

The '05 is a 4-Matic, and the '00 wasn't. Huge difference, and well worth the extra money. This car has replaced my '00 Audi A6 2.7T (twin turbo Quattro) as the benchmark for handling in a fine luxury car. Dry roads or wet (and I was in some of the hurricane-related downpours in South Florida just last week), the car is in control of the road - far better than the '00 was.

The body is tighter - far fewer squeaks. I believe this is due more to Mercedes’ efforts to reduce body squeaks than to having traded a 5 year old car with 63K miles for a new one.

The COMAND system is thought out far better; for Nav, the large screen is great, the split screen for turns, the DVD data base, street names in map mode, the ability to track current location continuously, adaptability of personal symbols, expanded Points of Interest (and sort options), and overall ease of use (especially when entering and saving destinations) are significant improvements. The ability to switch between functions is easier, and access to submenus is great. The 3-D (bird's eye) view is nice but not especially useful. The voice command is extensive, and of course, controls many useful nav functions in addition to radio, phone, and CD. Regarding the radio, the provision of only one user-programmable FM memory band is a disappointment; the autotune function as a second FM memory just isn't that useful, especially when I use the car in 2 very different geographic locations. I do miss the digital readout of fuel tank capacity in the instrument cluster submenus, but of course that’s not major.

The COMAND plays MP3 CDs and DVDs. I had great success with one such DVD, and problems with another (probably related to the fact that I wrote 1500 songs to root level of the DVD, and I should have used subfolders). Still learning the tricks of authoring music-only DVDs. The system recognized only MP3 music format on the DVD, however; not AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF, or WAV.

Of course, there is a 6-disc CD changer in addition. Unfortunately there is no AUX input on the Siemens-built COMAND, and unless Mercedes makes their iPod adapter available for the '05 S500, I can't use my iPod. The Dension Ice>Link I had used in my '00 is not usable in the '05; nor is the MikBox I had used to free myself from Mercedes-branded phones. I bought the Mercedes/Motorola V-710 for an outrageous $525; however, the tech mech at the dealership confirms that Mercedes will soon make a Bluetooth adapter available for their standard phone installation - and with that, any non-Mercedes Bluetooth phone will be compatible. I don't know how far back in model years the Mercedes Bluetooth mod will go.

I have experienced some minor electronics glitches - ESP cycling off briefly on one occasion, a warning that load leveling had been cancelled on another, both without any action on my part. The A/C fan never shows less than 4 of 5 bars for speed in auto mode, but very plainly has slowed down below that speed; the A/C display is always blue (night)- possibly a malfunction (it does not respond to any user-programmable changes of the COMAND display). But, those will be addressed at first service. The written information on the symbols and options for them (personal, default, etc.) in the Nav display is sketchy, but once you get to the menu in COMAND it is intuitive.

I did not get Distronic or the fully adaptive Airmatic option, so cannot contrast those.

The finish of the interior is better. Doors and interior trim line up better. The underside of the wood trim over the steering column is fully finished, where it was a sanded edge on the '00. The chrome trim across the underside of the wood trim on the dashboard and doors is nice but nonfunctional. I love the electric rear window shade (didn't get the side shades). The '05 is silver/Ash interior, which is MUCH cooler in the sun than my black on black '00 (duh!!). However, I feel no need for window film in the silver car, which I did right away in the black car. It is at least 20 degrees cooler after being parked in the sun. The coin holder is not as useful in the '05 as the '00, and the cup holders take up some of the storage space the '00 had (however, the phone is easier to access, and the '05's cup holders work better and hold more).

The rear window defroster offers better coverage; have not had to use it yet, but the design (finer wire much more closely spaced) would seem to afford faster defrosting. The automatic (rain sensor) wiper function will kick into high speed when necessary (the '00 would only step as high as the low setting). The Bi-Xenon lights are nice looking, but since my ’00 had xenon low beams there is no practical difference under most conditions.

The trunk requires more force to close, but has the auto-retracting handle to assist. The trunk space is less than the '00 because the Nav DVD reader is added and the CD changer sits higher (it is not recessed into the well behind the rear wheel as it is on the '00).

The front passenger footwell has slightly less space because of the 4-Matic. However, the floor mats are the same between the 4-Matic and non 4-Matic (according to the dealer, stock #s are the same) - but the right front floor mat doesn't have the fit I would expect.

I certainly hope that the reliability has improved as much as I have read, and as much as the additional thought in the way things function might indicate. Many items are truly better thought out; I will leave the car largely stock, since I am very happy with it - especially the all-wheel drive - but likely changes will be adding the BT phone mod, the iPod adapter if available for the '05 S-Class, and Michelin Pilot Sports A/S tires.

There are probably other differences, but I have only had the '05 for 3 weeks.

Except for a new 7-speed transmission I couldn't see many differences between my '05 and the current '06 W220, so I opted to save the $ (about $10K).

My '00 is being certified as Starmark at R & H Motor Cars in Baltimore, MD. It will be a good buy if the price is competitive. However, R & H removed the MikBox, V710 cradle, and Ice>Link mod to Starmark it, and returned the parts to me. If anyone buys that car and wants to re-install the mods, they'll fit right back in with minimal problem. The last 5 of the VIN on my '00 are 93291. If you get that car and want the parts, and the V-710 phone, PM me.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-27-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Do you work for Mercedes-Benz?

If not, you should. To make that many mods and totally improve the S500, they must be the best auto manufacturer in the world! WOW!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:44 PM

Mercedes all the way!
haha yeah the 2000s were a bit of a step back in my opinion - if you saw my other post on this forum you'll know my friend just got one. basically, the interior LOOKS the same, but touch it and it's very different. the rear-view mirror is also kinda flimsy, and there's no COMAND as standard! haha, and it has a cassette player, which i found amusing in a year 2000 car :p

the point about the ride is very true. the 2000 cars are much softer - almost SUV-like at the Comfort setting. i always put my own S350 to Comfort and the body control is good, but Comfort in my friend's S280L means wallowing over larger undulations and rocking gently from side-to-side. guess it was a 90s thing
Old 09-26-2005, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Your friend got screwed...

Perhaps the "standard" 2000 W220/S500 in Singapore is very different from the USA. Here is mine...
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy an S-Class-comand-001-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-27-2005, 05:35 AM

Mercedes all the way!
yup, it doesn't have COMAND. that persisted until the new 7-series came, and buyers unsurprisingly departed in droves. when the S was first introduced, Merc was selling 14 S-classes to 1 7-series! there was no competition.

btw my friend was in Malaysia, but it's the same spec. there's just a big compartment where COMAND normally sits. it looked VERY blank.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
What do you mean by "COMAND?"

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing? Mine, and I believe ALL, W220/S500s from 2000 on, came statdard w/ COMAND. The above photo is of my COMAND system, and I have an entire 215 page Operator's Manual that came w/ stock S500. (See photo below.)

What do you mean by COMAND?
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy an S-Class-comand-manual-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-27-2005, 01:03 PM

Mercedes all the way!
yes, it's exactly what i'm talking about. no COMAND, just Audio 20 (or whatever it was called at the time).

oh, i know the *possible* source of the confusion - my friend's is an S280L - that should explain the especially low spec. but i think even S500s did not have COMAND as standard initially, at least around this part of the world - you literally pay for the engine and that's it. of course, now every S comes with COMAND as standard.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ramp
If not, you should. To make that many mods and totally improve the S500, they must be the best auto manufacturer in the world! WOW!
Thanks, Ramp - I don't work for Mercedes. However. something had to justify spending the extra bucks and trading a car I was happy enough with in the first place (once I had gotten its many, many problems fixed) on a new one - and the features and improvements in the '05 did (especially the 4-matic option and better record of reliability). I am happy that after accepting lower quality components from its suppliers for the 2000 model year to meet price competition, Mercedes has finally tightened up and gotten back on track with its quality. The W220 models since '00 have improved each year in quality and functionality, an upward trend that seems especially noticeable beginning with the '03 facelift version (judging by what I read in the forums). The '05 model year looks like it continues the upward trend; I would surmise that the '06 will also.

The switch to the MOST fiber optic bus seems to have gone smoothly, and its software suite for COMAND seems much better than for D2B bus models; I hope the new 7-speed transmission works out as well in the '06.

Recall that some years back, Audi and BMW went through quality problems similar to Mercedes; both seem to have overcome them as well. They just went through it sooner. Publicity over one of Audi's problems (unintended acceleration) nearly killed it in the U.S. - I never experienced that (and question whether it actually existed) but my biggest problems with '79, '84, and '86 Audis were very frequent and expensive breakdowns. But Audi improved its quality by tightening down on its suppliers, and my '97 A4 and '00 A6 2.7T were nearly trouble-free. In the late '80's and early '90's, the BMW "Ultimate Driving Machine" catchline was a joke, not only in competitors' commercials, but in reality, due to breakdowns (mostly electronic malfunctions, especially with the computer controlling the engine).

Hopefully Mercedes is permanently past those problems. And hopefully the '00-'02 W220s have been around long enough to have had their problems fixed with better quality replacement components. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the '00 I just traded to another buyer - but would advise the buyer to 1) get an extended warranty, 2) expect a lesser breakdown rate than the car had in the past, but 3) expect it to be expensive to fix when it breaks no matter who pays for it.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-27-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
You are talking about a different car

Originally Posted by ruykava
yup, it doesn't have COMAND. that persisted until the new 7-series came, and buyers unsurprisingly departed in droves. when the S was first introduced, Merc was selling 14 S-classes to 1 7-series! there was no competition.

btw my friend was in Malaysia, but it's the same spec. there's just a big compartment where COMAND normally sits. it looked VERY blank.

I think the problem is that we are talking about different MB cars: Mine is a W220/S500/2000 and every one of them came w/ COMAND as standard equipment. The only option/s were 6 CD changer and telephone--but COMAND was standard.

I'm afraid your Malaysian friend's car is not of the same ilk...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:47 PM

Mercedes all the way!
no need to be afraid, ramp - i KNOW it isn't of the same ilk lol