S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 S500 possible airmatic problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2005 | 03:11 AM

2000 S500 possible airmatic problem...

Hello all, I just recently purchased a 2000 s500 with sport pkg. after few month I notice that the Right Rear is slightly (about ½" - 1") lower then the Left Rear, I press the raise botton in the car and whole car raise no problem and it didnt say anything on the dash that there is any problem with the airmatic. its just the fact that the right side is slight lower then left kinda bothers me, on the road it drives fine. but some time when I park and turn off engine I hear a little Hissing noise coming from the front bumper sounds like some air is leaking. I did a bit of search in the forum about other peoples having problems with the airmatic is either working or completely failed. the previous owner did mention he had the car lower by changing some kind of "LINK" in the car, sp please help me out with this, much appreciated.
Old 09-13-2005 | 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
was the car parked on an even surface? Our '01 S500 does have the hissing sound sometimes after parking and the car lowers itself a little after all doors have been shut. When the car is started back up, the car raises itself again. Not sure if this is normal but has been doing this since day 1, so we assume it is :p

I do remember one time we were NOT parked on an even surface...on a bed of gravel which the front end was slightly on an incline. The rear right was infact lower than the other 3 corners...so I'm guessing it's normal, the suspension leveling itself out possibly?

Most airmatic failures were on '00 models, however I think more towards the early-mid models. By '01+, the issue I think had been resolved.
Old 09-13-2005 | 04:34 PM

yeah where I park the car at my house has a slight incline towards the front, and thats where I look at my car the most lol. I havent really check it out when I drove it out there and park on a even surface, hopfully its like what you said that the car some how adjust itself. I guess now I dont really have to worry about the hissing noise lol. but I'll check again today when I get off work. thanks for the info
Old 09-13-2005 | 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
no problem. yeah, check it out and post back your findings
Old 09-14-2005 | 02:47 AM

I park at a open area near work today on a even surface and still find it the the right rear is slightly lower than other 3 corners, and still no error code coming up from the dash. so I dont know what to do at this point.
Old 12-15-2010 | 09:55 PM

2000 S500 Benz
I also drive a 2000 s500.. My car does the same as you explained your car does. It has a hissing sound and sometimes the right side is lower than the left side when parked so i think that's just normal.
Old 12-16-2010 | 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
yes if you park on an uneven surface this may happen, perfectly normal
Old 09-05-2011 | 02:12 PM

S430
Back end of car rises when parked

I have an S430 with airmatic. I have 220,000 miles. I have replaced the airmatic and both rear shocks (138,000), and replaced both front shocks (210,000). Last few days when I park the car ANYWHERE and leave it for three or four hours I come back to find the back end jacked up about six inches over the wheels. I start the car and it returns to the normal height. Does anyone know of this phenomenon?
Old 09-06-2011 | 04:31 PM

S430

I have an S430 with airmatic. I have 220,000 miles. I have replaced the airmatic and both rear shocks (138,000), and replaced both front shocks (210,000). Last few days when I park the car ANYWHERE and leave it for three or four hours I come back to find the back end jacked up about six inches over the wheels. I start the car and it returns to the normal height. Does anyone know of this phenomenon?
Old 09-16-2011 | 02:11 PM

W221 s65 amg
After sitting for night: Front down --> back up

I have the same problem as Mrgpa. My car is a 2000 s430 with 107K miles. Just replaced the front struts with the 'newly redesigned/improved' versions from Arnott (http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...26_gid614.html). I also replaced the compressor at the same time. (actually a tech from a MB dealer did all installation).

Now, when ever I come out in the morning, the front is down and the rear end is as high as it can go (like all the weight of the engine pushed the front's air supply to the back).

Any ideas, where to even start troubleshooting?

Last edited by bilicek.com; 09-16-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2011 | 08:33 PM

S430

Yes, it's frustrating! I called my service rep at the dealership he tells me he has never had this complaint. He is usually super good at trouble shooting.

I don't think it has anything to do with the front shocks, although I replaced my front shocks with the Arnott shocks too.

I didn't see the problem manifest itself untill about six weeks after replacing those front shocks.

Since it always returns to normal height when I crank it up, I've been reluctant to take it into the shop (again). I have replace so many things on this car since buying it back in 2004. New shocks, new airmatic, new water pump, new transmission, new driver side controls, new gas tank, new trunk latch, upper and lower control arms, and a couple of different sensors.

I will say, I have never had a problem with the engine and it still runs like new.

I'll let you know when I find out what's causing this, but I won't look into it until probably after the first of the year.
Old 09-18-2011 | 07:20 PM

W221 s65 amg
Solution

Dug into it today with a soapy water solution and water bottle. Found a leak in the 'ABC Suspension Manifold valve' (part#: 220.320.02.58).

The manifold is located right above the compressor, and the air line out from compressor runs into this manifold, then the manifold electronically controls the flow of air to each of the four air lines (for each corner).

Look like mine has a hairline leak in the manifold itself on the side of the manifold that regulates the front suspension (created air bubbles with soapy water test). Looks like can get new part for like $240 on eBay.

Kind of a tight/rough area to work on and install new manifold without a lift, so I think I'll get the manifold and take it to a reputable shop to have it installed (so I don't have to worry about all the airlines being tightened/sealed properly. Figure 1 hour at $50-60, plus $240 for module should fix it.

With MB's - you hate to take them in to dealer for 'troubleshooting' unless your about 98% sure you know what it is, or else you're likely to get sticker shock or a heart attack when they give you labor/parts total

Hope that helps,

Jarrett

Last edited by bilicek.com; 09-18-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2011 | 03:23 PM

S430
Possible airmatic problem

Thanks for the advice on the airmatic manifold problem. You are surely more talented than I since I would not have had a clue on how to diagnose the problem. I haven't tried spraying soapy water on it yet, but I will when I get around to it. Let me know how it all works out. I'm glad you solved your problem and in turn, solved mine. Thanks a lot. TIM