S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Michelin vs. Pirelli for my '02 S55??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin vs. Pirelli for my '02 S55??

I need to replace the tires on my 2002 Mercedes S55. It currently has the Michelin Pilot A/S tires but I've only had the car for about 2 weeks.. so I can't decide whether to get these tires again or try the Pirelli P Zero Nero's.
Can someone please e-mail me some advice and opinions on how these tires compare?? The Tire Rack has the Michelin tires for about $1150 and the Pirelli's for about $831. Are there any cheaper/better places out there to look into for these tires?? Are the Michelin's worth the extra money or will I be o.k. with the Pirelli's?? I need to get these tires very soon.. so I'll look forward to your e-mails! My e-mail address is daw@jhu.edu.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Last edited by Dawson9a; 09-22-2005 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Toyo tr1's Best tire for the Money... Michelin Ps'2's on the High end but I would never waste the cash cause I burn them up fast. Toyo then Nitto for me on the West Coast .......pm me if you want a deal on those I can refer someone in socal that also ships anywhere ..very cheap
Old 09-23-2005, 08:45 PM

Does it matter?
I just put on Michelin PS2's and I love them! Absolutely the quietest and smoothest high performance tire yet. Yes I agree they are expensive, but if you want to keep your ride quiet and smooth, maybe the extra $$$ is worth it to you. By the way, do not run pilot A/S on mercedes. Apparently, that specific tire causes a lot of drivability problems with Mercedes. Michelin recently put out a bulletin regarding this. Check with your tire guy. Good luck and you might try posting in the tire forum if you do not get good response here.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Well I've decided to go with the Pirelli's. There are reports of the Michelin Pilot A/S not being a good fit for the S-Class/ S55. They say they pull right and that's exactly what I'm experiencing! I think the Michelin may be a better tire in general.. but not for my application. I'll hope for the best with the Pirelli's and see what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! Would love to hear more if you have anything else to offer!

Dave
Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Goodyear Eagle F1's are excellent tires

I recently put on a set of F1s and have been very impressed w/ ride and performance. I went from my stock 16" Michelins to 18" (staggard) F1s and expected a much rougher ride w/ the lower profile tires. But the ride is actually MUCH better w/ the Eagles! They are soft and sticky and I can honestly say I have never had a better ride, even when I set the ride adjustment to the firmest setting.

Have never had PS2s or any of the others you discuss, so cannot make comparitive assessments. BTW, the A/S "problem" was fixed by Michelin soon after they came on the market, and no longer exists.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....7&postcount=11