S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

HELP - Power-assisted vacuum door NOT working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
HELP - Power-assisted vacuum door NOT working

hi all, unfortunately i must post here as there are no qualified S-class service reps anywhere near where i live.

what's happened is this: recently, the power-assisted vacuum door closing on my W220 S350 stopped working. the doors close fine but they are no longer power-assisted.

at around the same time, the right rear interior door handle illumination (not sure how else to describe it!) stopped working as well. i'm not sure if the two are related.

my dealer (who is not fully qualified on the S-class) pulled a fuse and put it back in, and the power-assisted doors came back but not the light.

however, after a few days, one or both of the doors would stop working again. we go through the same process and again, everything works for a few days, then one or more doors stop working again. right now, only one vacuum door is working (left front door).

everything else in the car is functioning normally.

given that pulling the fuse only cures the problem temporarily, i'd like to know if anyone has any idea what the root problem MIGHT be - at least we can start looking. the dealer has absolutely no idea and he says he can't find anything wrong on Star Diagnose. besides the fuse being bad (which would be the last thing to check because it's really hard to get spares here) is there anything i can do to check why the doors are acting like this? it appears to be a central problem as all four doors are cured, although temporarily.

any help would be hugely appreciated!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350 2004
hi , this happened wih my old S320 97 , the problem was with the power assisted pumb, you need to replace it. the fuse will always solve the problem temporarly.

Good Luck
Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
The pump sounds like the answer to me too, but I don't understand why r/r the fuse would make it work temporarily, if at all.

Regarding your dealer, if they sell the S-Class and have the Star Diagnostics (and know how to use it) they should be able to solve the problem. I don't understand this either.