S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Squeecky/Cracking Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Squeecky/Cracking Suspension Noise

Ok, I've posted this in the past about this squeecky noise coming from the front suspension (driver side)S500 65k miles. I went in for service and after 5 days in the shop the guy replaced my lower control arms, ball joints, and other issues I had going on not related to this noise. Anyway, $1300.00 later I still have this squeecky ratling noise at low speeds and when I turn or go over bumps. I just don't get it. Any one with info related to this can please advise. I'm at a point of throwing this car into my empty pool and just putting the cover over it never to see it again. I dont think I'll miss it. Hey, thats a good idea. I know when I make another appointment with the local service guy I'll get another shocker and more$$$$$$$ going to them.I also have a 2001 chevy suburban with 125000 miles on it and this truck gets abused like crap. Believe it or not the only time I've taken this truck to the shop was to replace the alternator after blowing one with my amp. I do my own oil change. Still original brakes (no dust), original everything else, no tune up yet and still runs like new. Paint looks great despite off road abuse, no scratches on it. I hate to say but MB has a lot to learn from Detroit about a lot of things. In 2010 we'll be talking about the new W221 just the same way we are talking about the 00-02 S-class. Mmmmhhhhhh
Old 11-05-2005, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Its usually the upper ball joints, make sure they are greased well with a needle tip grease gun. Very common in S class
Old 11-12-2005, 11:09 AM

It's me again. I hate to be such a pain but I just greased up just about everything I could and I'm still getting this squeacky sound. It's just not as loud now but it's still there. My MB tech doesnt seem to know, but they never know anything anyway.

I have now eliminated the ball joints as the source of the squeack simply because I have new ball joints and I injected some serious grease in them things. Could there be another hidden joint that I'm missing? Could it be something to do with the shocks? Could it be the airmatic? Could it be that I just sick of it? Love the car but hate the squeack.

Any ideas? My next option is to drive to Atlanta (500 miles away) to the nearest reputable MB tech since these guys here dont know what they are doing.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:38 AM

Found The Sources Of Squeack

Now I'm really really happy. I found the source of the squeack. I used one of my lapel mics with a small micro camera from my studio and while my son was shaking the car I tried to trace where the squeack was coming from. Took the tape back to my studio and digitized it and my efforts paid off. I dont know what the part is called but it's between the plastic fender shrouding under the wheel weld and the engine. There's a round looking rubber covered type part that is under there and with a little grease the noise was gone. Pardon me but I dont know what that part is called.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
WOW!!!! I'm impressed!! That's good ole' American ingenuity at work.