S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Paint quality issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Paint quality issue

We all know how superior the finnish is on our W220 cars. I have however started noticing some interesting "flaws" beneath the clear coat on our Pewter S500. On the trunk lid at the trailing edge where the lid flips up, I have noticed a few dark streaks that run from side to side in two places. These streaks look like the polychrome has streaked beneath the clear. If I can figure out the best way to photograph this I will post the pics. I might be able to use the macro setting on my Nikon D70.

The other spot(s) are on the passenger side rear door just below the window. These spots are also beneath the clear and look sort of like a blurry "fish eye". There are two of them and I have to stand at the correct angle to see them.

Has any one else seen anything like I have described? Is this something that might be covered under warranty? I still have two years left under the original new car warranty.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try turning off the flash on your camera then move as close as you possibly can to the image without distortion but zoom all the way out then take your pic. Be very steady or just use a tripod. Avoid direct sunlight or reflective sky. If you cant avoid the reflection try covering youself (and camera) with an umbrella while taking the pic. You should get a fairly descent pic that you can post.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
OK...I've decided that the "flaw" in the trunk lid was shadows created under the lights in the garage. I moved the car out this AM to wash it and the trunk lid looks perfect. I will still try to get that rear door shot and post.