S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

W220 - No audio & "CD Changer not found"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 - No audio & "CD Changer not found"

Hey guys,

I am hoping someone has seen this before. My 2000 S430 Comand system produces no audio and displays "no cd changer". I am pretty good at troubleshooting most mechanical things but with the D2B system on this car I have no idea where to begin. I did test the amp for 12 volt across the fuse and the COMAND sytem fuctions as normal - just without sound. Does anyone have any ideas on where I might start looking?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 05-05-2006, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Just a thought maybe your steering wheel volume controls are turned down to the lowest settings.
Besides that it could be a kink in the fiber optic wiring, yes it happened to my car once & it was a bi-tch $$ for dealer to track down & replace.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Did you install the CD-Changer? If you installed it you need to get it registered by the Star Diagnosis from a MB-Dealer in the D2B system. If it has been an original equipment and came with the car and wörked once already, you should see the MB-shop to read out the failure messages for the comand. Any thing else is just wast of time. Maybe the D2B bus ist interuped, the power supply off, the wake up signal not there +++++ Too many things to look at. If you have the read out you still can decide what to do or what the MB-guys shall do. Most of the MB-shops do the read out as a courtesy.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Had a similar problem a year or so ago, and ended up at the dealer who ended up replacing the changer. They did not tell me what specifically was wrong, but insisted the changer was dead and needed to be replaced.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Just had the same problem with my '01 and replaced the CD changer. Stealer wanted 800+/=

Ended up getting one on E-bay for 150+.

Works great now!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by andreas
Just had the same problem with my '01 and replaced the CD changer. Stealer wanted 800+/=

Ended up getting one on E-bay for 150+.

Works great now!!!
Congratulations! Did you install it yourself?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I did some further troubleshooting and found the following...

pulled comand and confirmed the four pulse light was present at power up
traced the fiber to the amp and found a strong four pulse going into the amp, the amp "clicks" four times but no light pulse exiting the amp. I have a strong feeling that the amp is dead.

All the equipment was factory installed including the cd changer. The entire ring just shut down one day. I found a used amp on ebay for $200 and a CD changer for another $150. I plug the amp in first, then the CD. Worst case, I'll just re ebay these parts if it does not fix th problem.

Thanks guys
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by beckel
Thanks for the replies guys. I did some further troubleshooting and found the following...

pulled comand and confirmed the four pulse light was present at power up
traced the fiber to the amp and found a strong four pulse going into the amp, the amp "clicks" four times but no light pulse exiting the amp. I have a strong feeling that the amp is dead.

All the equipment was factory installed including the cd changer. The entire ring just shut down one day. I found a used amp on ebay for $200 and a CD changer for another $150. I plug the amp in first, then the CD. Worst case, I'll just re ebay these parts if it does not fix th problem.

Thanks guys
How much value do you place on your time? I spent about $900, but almost no time on my repair. Sometimes the "stealers" are the best deal...
Old 05-17-2006, 07:34 AM

Hey guys,

just an update for the archives. This problem is fixed. Turns out it was the Voice Recognition module causing all the problems. I shorted the D2B ring down to one node and tested one component at a time. Turns out that everything worked beautifully until the electrical connection was made with the VR. That brought the entire ring down because it was somehow preventing the wakeup command from getting to the rest of the ring components. Anyhow, dealer gave me a used VR for free and everything now works as it should.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Almost a Member!

I swapped out my CD changer myself in about 15 minutes
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 PM

S
Originally Posted by beckel
Hey guys,

just an update for the archives. This problem is fixed. Turns out it was the Voice Recognition module causing all the problems. I shorted the D2B ring down to one node and tested one component at a time. Turns out that everything worked beautifully until the electrical connection was made with the VR. That brought the entire ring down because it was somehow preventing the wakeup command from getting to the rest of the ring components. Anyhow, dealer gave me a used VR for free and everything now works as it should.
I have the problem where I'm receiving no sound. I have the D2B. I checked the fiber optic lights and it seems to be that everything blinks expect the light from the amp. Although thru the cable the light blinks. Does this mean I have a bad amp? Plus I tried taking a remote lead for my sub amp and I tapped into a blue/black wire from the amp by the fuse... did mess up my cd changer seems to function fine, meaning ejecting and stuff..should try getting a coupler for the cd changer? I disconnected the negative terminal too, no luck.

You think it's the VR module for my case? Not sure if I even have 1
Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
I have an extra working cd changer if you need.

$100 shipped conus.