S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Aftermarket radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket radio?

I am thinking about getting a 2000 S-Class. If I get one, I would like to upgrade to widescreen DVD navigation since the factory stuff is pretty dated. Is the COMAND radio/nav more than just radio/navigation/phone? Does it actually control any integral function of the car? Are there adapter harnesses or a dash kit for an aftermarket radio?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:44 PM
BBH

2010 CL63 (was 2003 CL55)
The widescreen and older screen share very little. The cars use two completely different, uncompatible wiring arrangements. I believe most on this forum would tell you to get an 04 if the widescreen thing is going to keep you awake nights. Upgrading electronics on one of the S class cars is a major undertaking.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Sorry, I didn't make myself too clear. I would be interested to upgrade to an aftermarket DVD navigation, not the 03-06 factory nav.

This is what I had in mind.

I was just wondering if the COMAND ties into anything else, like if you have to set personalization and other interior features through the radio or if anything would cease to function with the COMAND removed.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Metro Card : (
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
Sorry, I didn't make myself too clear. I would be interested to upgrade to an aftermarket DVD navigation, not the 03-06 factory nav.

This is what I had in mind.

I was just wondering if the COMAND ties into anything else, like if you have to set personalization and other interior features through the radio or if anything would cease to function with the COMAND removed.
I don't know man. There may be more experts on here, but I think most will tell you to leave well enough alone.

If you want an S class that bad, the 2000 will have issues. Expect it. All the money you will spend in modding the COMAND could go to your first workshop visit!

I'd say don't mess with it. Save your money or apply it to your purchase and bump up to a newer S Class that will have fewer issues. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It has been done in the past but there are a couple of control functions you have to be aware of. First of all you will loose your steering controls. These controls are connected to some module that is eventually connected to command. If you loose command you may not be able to access your diagnostics menu. Incase you don’t know, that’s the menu that allows you to change your light functions, check for malfunctions, and many other options not related to command. You may also loose tele-aid functions as tele-aid uses parts of command for communications. Tele-aid is also linked to most security features of your car. With you loosing command your tracking features may be lost. Please note that am using the word MAY an don’t will. I stand corrected if I'm wrong on anything. This is a Mercedes and that means there’s probably a sensor for these functions that may cause malfunctions to display in your display. Again, I stand corrected if I'm wrong.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
I am thinking about getting a 2000 S-Class. If I get one, I would like to upgrade to widescreen DVD navigation since the factory stuff is pretty dated. Is the COMAND radio/nav more than just radio/navigation/phone? Does it actually control any integral function of the car? Are there adapter harnesses or a dash kit for an aftermarket radio?
Just be warned that swapping out COMAND is an all or nothing exercise because it's a networked D2B system. If you go this route, you'll need to replace everything down to the amps, CD changer, and maybe even the speakers since they're matched to the Bose amps.

Basically, you're taking about doing a complete new custom system installation and you will still loose teleaid, steering wheel controls, and radio display in the instrument cluster.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by MagicO309D
Just be warned that swapping out COMAND is an all or nothing exercise because it's a networked D2B system. If you go this route, you'll need to replace everything down to the amps, CD changer, and maybe even the speakers since they're matched to the Bose amps.

Basically, you're taking about doing a complete new custom system installation and you will still loose teleaid, steering wheel controls, and radio display in the instrument cluster.
is it possible to be done right and retain the stuff you need?