S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Navigation Antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Antenna

Hi gang ... looking for some information about the GPS antenna routing on a 2000 S500. I recently purchased a used COMAND head unit, as my original was not receiving satellite signals for navigation. I got the new unit installed, and guess what, same problem! No signal ... it just reads "00 SAT," and it usually has me pointing the wrong way when I do a manual location calibration.

I read the error codes and it seems there may be something wrong with the antenna. How are the GPS wires routed to the head unit. There is a splitter in the trunk (rightside). Everything is hooked up. Question is: does that coax cable make another connection before getting plugged into the COMAND? If so, where would I find this connection.

I read a post where someone else was having this problem, and had a loose antenna. I think I've tried all my connections, including removing the GPS aerial and checking the two wires. I need your help.

Finally, there's apparently an amplifier hookup at the rear of the car above the headliner, but nothing's hooked up to it. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance for answers/feedback.

Last edited by MB Easy Rider; 05-22-2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-23-2006, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Hi,
may be I can shed some light on the issue, even not necessarily a solution. The NAVI antenna comes directly from the roof to the splitter, (right rear fendor). There are two connectors one is for the telephone and one is for the NAVI. If they are swapped the NAVI won't work. The NAVI antenna goes straight across the car (cable channel along the tunnel passenger side) into the COMAND unit. But to track the cable the passenger seat and the rear seat (bench) have to come out, inorder to check the cable. The splitter underneath the hat rack is to accommodate various frequencies for international mobile phone systems. It has nothing to do with the NAVI at all.
My advise just swap the two cable at the splitter and see if you get reception for the NAVI.

Last edited by bamberger_1; 05-23-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:45 AM

NAVI cables

Thanks for the explanation. The connectors coming from the roof-mounted NAVI/telephone antenna are different, which prevent mixing them up with the coax cables. As I understand it, the splitter is used to provide a GPS signal to the COMAND head unit and the TeleAid. Both of these cables have connectors that do not fit the telephone cable.

I'm going to try buying another antenna. They run close to $400 USD. Wondering if anyone knows where I might find a used one for less.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUMMY-GPS-ANTENN...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Looking for a WORKING antenna

I'm looking for a real antenna, not one of the fake covers sold on eBay. Anyone know of a shop selling the real things? I may have to bite the bullet and pay a dealer.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:37 PM

It works!

After owning my 2000 S500 for close to two years, I finally got the navigation system working. The GPS antenna was bad. This simple fix caused me a lot of angst and frustration, especially because more than three dealers wanted to sell me a whole new COMAND head unit (at more than two grand!!). Instead, I bought a used one on eBay, and when I hooked it up and realized it wasn't receiving satellites, I thought I'd make one last purchase of a new antenna before selling this car. Lo and behold, I've got the Nav working!!!!!!!!

So, moral of this story, MB dealers are worthless. I don't say that lightly. They're rude, arrogant, and clearly aren't interested in helping you. They just want to sell you stuff, rip you off. I'll never buy another MB. The only reason I haven't sold mine is because I'm hopelessly in love with the car. When it finally dies, I'm going back to Lexus. :-)

Sorry.

At any rate, I've got an extra COMAND unit for sale on eBay. Check it out if you're in need of a COMAND unit. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW