S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Urgent Issue! :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Urgent Issue! :(

Well, Ive been having a problem with my brakes for the past year now.

I have an S500 and theres been a loud squeaking sound when i hit the brakes since about 10,000 miles. I had it checked out but they told me the shoes were worn out or that there was debris in there. ???

So they "fixed" it but as soon as i drove off the lot it was squeakin again.

I got it rechecked and they told me that the car was heavy so the Brake Disc was grinding with the brakes! After 10,000 miles?

Does anyone else have this problem? This ir rediculous. Theyre going to charge me 700+ dollars for the replacement. I think this is just a defect.

Help! I need to prove the dealer wrong!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by BenzOwnerMan
I need to prove the dealer wrong!
the dealer cant be proved wrong!
just buy the parts and do it yourself....its a lot cheaper.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:20 PM

well the only problem is, he also said that:

"the S500 is a heavy car so the brake disc wears quickly"

its total bull. hes a dealer, not a mechanic. they failed to diagnose it before, what makes me want to trust them now?

any other suggestions?

i think i might take it to a diff benz dealer, since they have free maintenance and get a different perspective.

IM OPEN TO COMMENTS! HELP!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:49 AM

are the discs vented ? I have seen this problem when the wrong ones were installed. There are different types of rotos for the 220 so they could have installed the wrong ones. I would hope this was not the case though, if it was done at a dealer.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Like RLEE said, DIY and properly. What I always do when swapping pads, also replace all the springs and bolts, Additionally I "grease" the parts, like the back of the pads, the springs, the bolts and the area where the pads touch the brake assembly with cooper grease. It is a highly copper enriched high temperature grease. NEVER get any amount of it on the disk or the pad itself. Apply VERY thin to the parts I mentioned. Most of the time the squeeking comes from the pads where the bolts go through the pads.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Almost a Member!

yeah they have a parts my break point where there were diff sized rotors we have had them come in a few times where the rotors have worn on the outer 3/4 of the rotors because the pads dont make full contact with the rotors, but this is VERY easy to look at yourself

If your gunna do it yourself, take the wheel off and look at the edge of the rotor and see if its shiney on the edge, if it is something is rubbing on the edge, most likely the spring retainer.....if not that then look for the brake rotor blueing, this means your riding the brakes too much and burning them up, you can fix this by sanding and deglazing the rotors, AND pads if you want, or just put new pads on it, you can get stuff called husky brake lube, put that on the pads and let it dry before you put them back on. this is a common complaint, its a good thing for DIY