S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Damn this Limiter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minivan
No I know you have no experience other than driving a Benz and do not read car publications. High performance sports cars that offer all wheel drive are far superior to rear wheel drive cars with respect to traction control.

As far as breaking is concern, published monthly in the Car and Driver magazine is all of the cars that they have tested and there 0-60, braking and G-force numbers (along with other information). Just read the information provided and stop making comments about sports cars unless you have owned one and can compare cars in similar conditions. Since I do not have a copy in front of me I am not 100% sure but I do know that the #1 braking car is not a Benz.

If I recall correctly, Porsche has 5 of the top ten spots and #2-5. The Boxer was the best and non of them had PCCB’s (Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes). I do have them on my 911 Turbo S and they are the best stopping brakes I have ever experienced.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by 1phd1jd
No I know you have no experience other than driving a Benz and do not read car publications. High performance sports cars that offer all wheel drive are far superior to rear wheel drive cars with respect to traction control.

As far as breaking is concern, published monthly in the Car and Driver magazine is all of the cars that they have tested and there 0-60, braking and G-force numbers (along with other information). Just read the information provided and stop making comments about sports cars unless you have owned one and can compare cars in similar conditions. Since I do not have a copy in front of me I am not 100% sure but I do know that the #1 braking car is not a Benz.

If I recall correctly, Porsche has 5 of the top ten spots and #2-5. The Boxer was the best and non of them had PCCB’s (Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes). I do have them on my 911 Turbo S and they are the best stopping brakes I have ever experienced.

I rest my case as you appear not to get the point.

I started responding to your statements that MB's are not safe to drive at top speeds and that speed is limited due to engineering, along with some pretty silly comments (Princess Diane). That alone shows that you have little understanding of the car.

Btw. I can compare cars when I drive them in similar conditions, which I have. No need to own them. Following your logic, car publications won't be able to rate cars as they don't own them either.

I don't take issue with you admiring your Porsche. It is a great car. Just don't make absolute statements when you don't know enough.

Wolfman

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-11-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It pissed me off to watch the BMW test drive on the speed chennel this past weekend. The guy testing the acceleration on the new M6 on the autobarn drove the car to 194 with ease and the car kept pulling but traffic won't let him top it off. That car is like 500 ponnies and non governed. My kinda car.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by kenstudios
It pissed me off to watch the BMW test drive on the speed chennel this past weekend. The guy testing the acceleration on the new M6 on the autobarn drove the car to 194 with ease and the car kept pulling but traffic won't let him top it off. That car is like 500 ponnies and non governed. My kinda car.
Actually, Brabus has an external speed delimiter that removes the top speed limit.
Not to put salt into a wound, but there was one on eBay Germany that just sold for $100 (http://cgi.ebay.de/Brabus-Vmax-Unit-...QQcmdZViewItem)

Just an option...

Wolfman
Old 06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
I know this was quite a few posts ago, but wasn't Princess Diana in a W140 S320?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:05 PM

Minivan
It was a special edition S500 and at 90 MPH lost control. Would of never happen in a Porsche, or my S600.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:18 PM

Alfa Romeo 147 1.6TS
Originally Posted by AsianML
I know this was quite a few posts ago, but wasn't Princess Diana in a W140 S320?
It was an S280, I would imagine that is much lighter than an S600
Old 06-20-2006, 04:12 PM

Minivan
A 280? Is that a gas engine?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from rev limiter to Diana, damn,lol.

anyway,
that prior statement about it would never have happened in my..bla bla bla is just , well Bla Bla Bla.
So heres my 2 cents worth.

Speed limiters speed limits are set by the lawyers of the car companies,obviously in the USA, the limits will probably be set lower than other countries due to a number of reasons, for example,USA drivers tend to drive, well to drive American for want of a better word, that is to say SLOW with about the same repose and with with the same attention to other drivers and road conditions as an drunken Orangutang ,plus, being the USA, the family of the person hit by the drunken Ape will sue his hairy *** .

Then there is the common belief in the USA that "Speed Kills",(I have a neighbor that honestly believes that he has the legal right to stay in any lane ,any speed below the speed limit, when I pointed out that ALL outer lanes are for passing and once a vehicle is passed you must pull in to the inner lane , he told me that was a "European thing", I countered with the argument that if 30% of traffic death are caused by drunks then 70% are by sober people, so i say it has to be safer to drive drunk,he didnt laugh at that either.

Then coming down to the cars, i,m sure we all feel we are good drivers, in truth we mostly suck, and i mean about just common courtesy let alone thinking we are F1 material.Years ago I put a series one E Type on an open day at Mallory Park in England and got passed like i was standing still by a 1955 MkV sedan, that looked like a turd, driven by a good driver named Craig Hinton,so as I said most of us are not really that good.

So now to the cars, well , the only qualification you need to buy a fast piece of metal is, well, money.by the way, and i have to bring this up,but how often do you see cars in the USA driven at even 7 tenths of their potential.

Oh,and with regards to poor Diana, she was in a black S280 (2.8 liter gas), and probaby about as safe a car as was on the road.
However, she was being driven thru a chicane like tunnel at over twice the speed limit by a drunk , not seat belted in, while paparazzi were popping cam flashes at the driver.