S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2 Malfunctions on a 1 week old certified benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Malfunctions on a 1 week old certified benz

A week ago I purchased a 2000, S500 with 28k miles from Mercedes Benz of Manhattan with 3 years of extended warranty. I decided to take a nice drive up to PA yesterday and on I80, about 50 miles into my trip the car started making a funny noise. At first I thought it was tires because we had switched from asphalt to a conrete strip. I have to admit I was really displeased. We switched over to asphalt and the noise was still there and then just disappeared. So I ruled out any problems and just blamed the bad road.

On my way back home I hear a pop and then a draggin sound, I put on my hazzard lights and begin to proceed to the shoulder of the highway. I thougt that I either had a flat tire or something was caught under the chasis of the car. When I take a look under the car, I notice a plastic cover hanging down, and that It was missing 2 bolts. This platic thing had 2 ait ducts and was covering the oil pan and a suspension mechanism (I assume). I manage after 30 mins of struggle to re-secure this plastic part pulled, got back on the road and all was fine.............until..........another 40 miles in noticed an error appear.....something about "BAS, Brake assit program, Malfunction (Visist Workshop)" with an ABS light then cycled another error "Stabilty assit something somthing (EPS)" No im freaking out..... I apply the brakes to make sure they still work and they do. I maintain 55mph and drive on the slow lane all the way home.....Im so bummed out.....I wont be able to take the car the shop untill Monday.....

What the hell was that plastic piece?

Will my warranty cover the damage?

Thanks,

Danny
Old 07-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its just a plastic cover Danny,maybe when it came loose it disturbed connections on brakes,sp prog, abs,ect, ect,who knows, but you didn't mention any kind of problem other than the warnings so I assume the car is operating ok other than the warnings.By the way, heres a tip regarding erroneous warning lights on a car when all apears to be ok, dis-connect one of the battery terminals for a minute, then re-connect, this often clears faulty warnings.
With regard to ext. wtty, they normally don't include brakes , but I assume you have a copy of the wtty.By the way, do expect to be on first name terms with your sevice manager with this car,the first year of the S class was the most troublesome and your car is now 7 years old.
Good Luck.

ps, is your screen name on here the nic-name for your new car too?

Last edited by justbecause; 07-09-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:17 PM

2006 ML500
I agree....in my experience, these cars are extremely maintenance intensive. Find a good dealership that you like because chances are you could be there frequently. On the other hand, they are good-looking fun cars with lots of power. I guess everything has its drawbacks!
Old 07-09-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a couple of things you should know. Whoever changed the oil did not secure the plastic skid plate correctly. When securing this plate you have to overlap it with the transmission cover such that the wind does not force it open as the car moves which I assume is what caused that to happen to you. This car has so many sensors and you need to be familiar with since you will see a lot of these kinds of errors on your display. Your car is a 2000 which will gives it a build date of around Nov 1999 (look on the drivers door to be sure). Thats an old car so don't expect everything to be smooth running. It maybe 2 weeks old to you but it's really a 7 year old car based on your build date. When you get the BAS, ABS, Brake assist warnings, just turn your steering wheel all the way left then all the way right and it should clear these errors unless obviously something is wrong with the car then I suggest you take it to the doctor.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
@ lordpain
I have a 2000 S-Class with about 60kmiles and no trouble at all. I had a few corrossion issues which were covered by the warranty anyway, but no technical issues. So don't let the excitement about the car vanish. It is a graet car!!!!!!!! The message BAS, ESP ... is a something which shows sometimes, and can easily be reset by what kenstudios said. Turn the steering wheel from one to the other extreme, and you're set. This warning also shows if someone disconected the battery for service and repair and did not turn the wheel to reset.
Always be aware in that forum you mostly read the things happend, not about the many cars which just work fine.
I'm not exactly sure if you can read the manufacturing date in the door frame. I think it is just stating the technical revision of the body style. To find out the manufactuing date you need to have the dealer run a request with your VIN.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

Build date does in fact appear on the door jamb VIN label.
Who knows what the true reliabilty factor is,in fact boards like this tend to slant towards the positves as it is an MB enthusiasts site,so if anything they probably show healthier reviews than a true random survey would reveal.
I think it's important to realise that most of these cars when sold new were leased to businesses as corporate perks and during that period, were covered by a full parts and labor wtty, and a free loaner car,so when their S was off road,it was just minor just inconveniances really .
Now ,as the cars become cheaper and more affordable they open up a whole new market due to their much lower price, however the parts and labour costs do not drop to a quarter of what they were when the car was new,and for sure these cars do not improve with age.They are great cars ,and so easy to fall in love with, but let us not forget just how complex and troublesome/expensive these cars can often be to maintain.

Last edited by justbecause; 07-10-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 PM

Minivan
LordPain, I empathize with you and think all will be fine in the end. From your description, KenStudios’ conclusion is most likely the case.

I purchased a 2005 911 Porsche Turbo S Cab ($171,000) and when the odometer hit 100 miles, it died. It took the Dealer 3 weeks to diagnose and fix. They wanted to purchase the car back from me at any time during this time. I declined because there were only 250 made for the entire US (500 World Wide) and 16 were Speed Yellow.

Car is awesome and runs great.

Yours will too, it may take some time.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:02 PM

S500
Originally Posted by bamberger_1
@ lordpain
I have a 2000 S-Class with about 60kmiles and no trouble at all. I had a few corrossion issues which were covered by the warranty anyway, but no technical issues. So don't let the excitement about the car vanish. It is a graet car!!!!!!!! The message BAS, ESP ... is a something which shows sometimes, and can easily be reset by what kenstudios said. Turn the steering wheel from one to the other extreme, and you're set. This warning also shows if someone disconected the battery for service and repair and did not turn the wheel to reset.
Always be aware in that forum you mostly read the things happend, not about the many cars which just work fine.
I'm not exactly sure if you can read the manufacturing date in the door frame. I think it is just stating the technical revision of the body style. To find out the manufactuing date you need to have the dealer run a request with your VIN.
what corrosion issues did u run across?