S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

cd player problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cd player problems!!!!!

i think theres something wrong with the cd player in my s500

it doesnt want to play any cd i insert, in only plays the music it has inside which i think its saved in there because no cd's come out when i push the eject button

can anybody be kind enough to explain to me how to use the cd player or if i should get it fixed

any help would be appreciated. thank you.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
i have a the same problem it keeps saying mag empty when its full n there not bootlegs
Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by locster
i think theres something wrong with the cd player in my s500

it doesnt want to play any cd i insert, in only plays the music it has inside which i think its saved in there because no cd's come out when i push the eject button

can anybody be kind enough to explain to me how to use the cd player or if i should get it fixed

any help would be appreciated. thank you.
Locster, I answered this in the Audio and Telematics forum, but answer it here as well because I believe 02S430's response addresses a different problem than yours.

If your car is stock, the CD slot in the console of an S500 is for the navigation CD. It doesn't play music CDs. For those, you have a 6-disc CD changer in the trunk, in a panel on the left side. It has a cartridge, and does not accept or eject individual CDs; the whole cartridge ejects. The "stored music" you mention is probably one or more CDs that have been left in the cartridge.

02S430, I believe the problem you describe has been written up before - although I am not a service tech, if I recall properly it was a problem with a sensor that lets the CD changer know that a cartridge is installed. I believe some of the responses have suggestions on how to fix the problem. A search of the forums on "CD cartridge" "CD Magazine" or "Eject" might find the result for you.

Also, I have often experienced failure of discs to load after replacing one or more in the cartridge. Using the "Disc Scan" feature after loading the cartridge seems to overcome this (but won't help if the problem is indeed the sensing mechanism for the cartridge). Good luck.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-20-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Thumbs up

thanks f or you insight
Old 09-14-2006, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I had a similar changer problem a few years ago and had to have it replaced. My dealer said it could not be repaired and they put in a "new" rebuilt changer that has worked perfectly ever since. As I recall, the changer cost about $350 and labor was a warping $450; w/ misc. stuff and tax I think I paid about $900.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I had a similar changer problem a few years ago and had to have it replaced. My dealer said it could not be repaired and they put in a "new" rebuilt changer that has worked perfectly ever since. As I recall, the changer cost about $350 and labor was a warping $450; w/ misc. stuff and tax I think I paid about $900.
id just install it my self thats bs $450 for labor takes like 20 mins if u noe what ur doing
Old 09-14-2006, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by 02S430
id just install it my self thats bs $450 for labor takes like 20 mins if u noe what ur doing
That's the key: "...if you know what you're doing." You go boy! And please report back here to let us know what you didi and how it turned out. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

S500 4matic
hi,
maybe someone can help. i own a 2003 S500 4MATIC , for the past 5 years.
in the past 3 years i had several electrical issues, from the battery being dead ( i changed battery twice ) to the remote entry key sensor problems to the car shutting down, once it got warmed-up. all these where resolved. but one problem keeps on coming back. my COMMAND center from time to time , will not recognize my CD DISK CHANGER. it will state the there in no cd's / changer , when there is a full 6 cd magazine installed. usualy i only need to restart my car, for everything to work , like it should. but in 2 instances that has not worked. the first time was about 3 years ego, when after a week of not working, it just started to work on its own, and the second time , was a few days ego. just as the weather turned cold, here in brooklyn NY, the command control just refuses to recognize the changer. i tried ejecting and putting the changer , back and forth a few times, but nothing has changed. the other thing, is when i tried to turn on the radio ( i NEVER listen to the radio, in my car , so i don't know if its something new or not ), NO sound came out . i was able to change the radio to different stations, but with no sound . the other command center functions, like the navigation , works. what's strange is , if something was broken or faulty, why did it take over 3 years to totaly stop ??? or maybe if i wait a few more days, it will start to work again. the only posts , i saw here, on similar issues, had to deal with flooding or dead changers . in my case , there is no water anywhere and a green light lights up when i eject the changer. does anyone have any idea or clue , to what it may be ???