Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LX470
brakes and nav question

Hey guys,

I just surfed on in and was fairly impressed with what I have read from some owners so I thought I would give this a shot.

I own a 2001 S500 and was wondering two things. (1) My brakes make an absolutely awful grinding noise when I depress the pedal. I had the pads replaced 2 months ago, and the tech at the MB dealer said I have about 10,000 miles left on the rotors, so any ideas on why this noise is happening? I would take it back to the dealer, but they want 150 just to LOOK at it! Insane.

(2) I want to get rid of my ancient head unit and upgrade to the 03-06 so I can toss all of those pointless navigation CDs. How easy is this to be converted?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
when the pads need to be replaced, you are supposed to replace the rotors as well. i would highly NOT recommend trying to upgrade to the 03 navi/head unit. It is not simple or inexpensive at all. the command system is all throughout the car and it ALL has to be converted to the new command. it has been discussed on here, and i am not sure if anyone has done it.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Benzdriver9
Hey guys,

I just surfed on in and was fairly impressed with what I have read from some owners so I thought I would give this a shot.

I own a 2001 S500 and was wondering two things. (1) My brakes make an absolutely awful grinding noise when I depress the pedal. I had the pads replaced 2 months ago, and the tech at the MB dealer said I have about 10,000 miles left on the rotors, so any ideas on why this noise is happening? I would take it back to the dealer, but they want 150 just to LOOK at it! Insane.

(2) I want to get rid of my ancient head unit and upgrade to the 03-06 so I can toss all of those pointless navigation CDs. How easy is this to be converted?

Thanks in advance guys!
I had a noise like that last week and when my dealer checked they found the the power steering fluid was low. They topped it off (NC) and the noise is gone. Wouldn't you get an alert on the instrument panel if brakes needed replacing? On the HU, I don't think you can upgrade to the big screen and DVD in your/my car.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
your "dealership" sounds like a "stealership" take it to a different benz dealership
Old 10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Elaborate on the brake noise. Are you applying regular force? Is it only audible during excessive force or lightly feathering the brakes?

And Korean, there's nothing wrong with mating new pads to old rotors. Though, these rotors (esp. the front drilled ones) only last 30,000-50,000 miles depending on how the car was driven.

Oh and, as others have said, upgrading to the 03+ headunit is MUCH more complicated than just buying the headunit and throwing it in and reconnecting all the wires.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LX470
Originally Posted by newton22
Elaborate on the brake noise. Are you applying regular force? Is it only audible during excessive force or lightly feathering the brakes?

And Korean, there's nothing wrong with mating new pads to old rotors. Though, these rotors (esp. the front drilled ones) only last 30,000-50,000 miles depending on how the car was driven.

Oh and, as others have said, upgrading to the 03+ headunit is MUCH more complicated than just buying the headunit and throwing it in and reconnecting all the wires.
During highway speeds when I engage the pedal, I get a really high pitched squealing noise, but when it's really slow speeds that when this deep grinding noise happens (think sliding 2 cynder blocks over one another), and when I am in reverse it's like a deeper squealing....and all of this is happening when I apply normal force. I think I am going to scrap the upgrade with the nav system for now as well.

20% tint is what I have on my car as well, and I love it, except it's almost impossible to get the car to pass inspection. Did you have to get those tracts covered in felt so the tint doesn't scratch also?

Last edited by ex-BenzDriver9; 10-11-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
That's strange considering how your pads have just been replaced. Squealing is nothing out of the ordinary for many Mercedes regardless of new or worn pads. But your situation sounds quite excessive. This is going to be a ridiculous question, but are you absolutely sure they installed brand new pads?

I just got new pads 3 weeks ago. I installed them myself and went ahead and applied anti-squeak to the back of the pads. These babies are silent.

As for the tint, I just got some random car shop to do it. No protection I believe (but lifetime warranty). Inspection? Slip the guy a $20.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LX470
Originally Posted by newton22
That's strange considering how your pads have just been replaced. Squealing is nothing out of the ordinary for many Mercedes regardless of new or worn pads. But your situation sounds quite excessive. This is going to be a ridiculous question, but are you absolutely sure they installed brand new pads?

I just got new pads 3 weeks ago. I installed them myself and went ahead and applied anti-squeak to the back of the pads. These babies are silent.

As for the tint, I just got some random car shop to do it. No protection I believe (but lifetime warranty). Inspection? Slip the guy a $20.
Ah good old bribery always does it! lol The cops out here on the Island are ball breakers so you are blessed.

I am 100% positive they are new pads. Can i buy some of that stop squeak and just spray it on the rotors, or is that asking for more trouble?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Ah good old bribery always does it! lol The cops out here on the Island are ball breakers so you are blessed.

I am 100% positive they are new pads. Can i buy some of that stop squeak and just spray it on the rotors, or is that asking for more trouble?
That's Nassau county for you... I am still waiting any day now to get pulled over for no front plates...
Old 10-11-2006, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LX470
Originally Posted by Oxygen
That's Nassau county for you... I am still waiting any day now to get pulled over for no front plates...
How did you pull off such a hideous offense for so long with the plates?

It's strange with Nassau County though because when I go out to Suffolk Co., the Suffolk cops don't care if you have a dead body strapped to your hood let alone driving without a front plate.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
How did you pull off such a hideous offense for so long with the plates?

It's strange with Nassau County though because when I go out to Suffolk Co., the Suffolk cops don't care if you have a dead body strapped to your hood let alone driving without a front plate.
Let's setup a LI/NYC/NJ/CT MBWorld Meet-and-Greet... soon...
Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I got a new S-class a couple of weeks ago and they make you sign a form if you don't want them to put the front plate bracket on. At least they still let you opt out, after that stupid lawsuit. There are so many forms to sign now it's like buying a house.

That brake squeal sounds pretty unusual for an S. I traded in a 2001 S55 and never had more than a tiny squeal at times. That was always when I let the wheels get dirty. I would invest in the diagnosis.

Not only would the '03 COMAND upgrade be expensive, it wouldn't do much except avoid the occasional changing of the nav CD. (Do you travel across map zones often?) The '04 COMAND was the major upgrade. It's much improved: bigger screen, better interface, computes routes much faster, is more reliable, etc., etc. The '03 was really just an interim measure: grafting on a DVD drive to avoid the embarrassment of the CD nav. Because of the larger screen, the '04 is even more of a major deal to fit in your '01. The '03 would be a total waste.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LX470
I am all in favor of the meet and greet. I see there are a lot of tri-staters on here which should mean it would be fun.

Any suggestions on where to go? I say we meet up at Branchinelli's out in Commack on the Jherico Tpk. We can clog our arteries and talk shop all at once!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LX470
Picked up "zee auto" from the dealer and the brake problem has been pretty much fixed.

I went to the Benz dealer out in Brooklyn where they filed the corners of the pads down and de-glazed them as well, and all it cost me was 40 dollars...niiiiiice.

I asked the guy why he had to file them down, and he said sometimes the pads get a little lip over the edges and that's what causes the grinding noise, but the squealing should die down if I hose down the inside of the wheels every now and again.

On another note, I saw a new Lincoln Navigator driving on the L.I.E. today and just fell in love. Not bad for an American SUV, and not thug passion like the Escalade!