S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Brake Job Instructions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Originally Posted by raycanales
nice writeup I need to do this to my 02 S500 .. what kind of pads are those?

I have looked on ebay maybe Im not looking for the right items?

thanks
search in ebay for "s500 brake pad" or "w220 brake pad". 20 or so item should come up. find the ones that is posi quiet brand. or if you like other brand name go with ones that is low dust.

ML forum shocked me by the report of $1500 on brake jobs @ the stealer. ML should have similar type calipers. This is one of the easier brake job I've done too.

Last edited by fkong777; 11-29-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
BTW, my stocks were Jurid pads. I went with Pagid pads. The Pagids aren't all that great. I occasionally drive this car hard, and the pads show signs of fade.

If you like to really drive, I heard Porterfield makes awesome pads. Otherwise, stocks will suit you fine.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Originally Posted by fkong777
6. spray disc brake quiet compound on pad then transplate the pear shape plate to the pad.
7. spray another layer of disc brake quiet compound.

8. slide in new pad
9. repeat procedure for inner pad
10. reinstall retainer spring and drive pin back in
Now you have completed one of the rear brakes.
Can you tell me what brand of quiet compound you are using? Thanks

Last edited by jmiaebrown; 12-01-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jmiaebrown
Can you tell me what brand of quiet compound you are using? Thanks
Just permatex. Ask any auto parts parts counter. They should have something similar. Usually they will have permatex

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...rake_Quiet.htm

Last edited by fkong777; 12-01-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Thumbs up

Good write up. It good to see us forum members willing to DIY our cars.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:09 PM

2017 E400 CAB 2007 BMW 650i CONV
got brake pads from Ebay $100.00 for the set F & R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6526309&rd=1,1

they are quiet I took it to my Local GoodYear guys that do all my brakes and wheel balancing alignment and stuff like that that was another $100.00

so $200 for the total job rather cheap I think ... but now I have to buy a set of wheels when they tried to balance them I was told that the wheels were bent oh who knows
anyway my question now is I got this problem on my dash I thought the brake pads would fix can someone help me if this is another problem and if not how do I clear it ?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Brake Job Instructions-s500dash.jpg  
Old 12-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
got brake pads from Ebay $100.00 for the set F & R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6526309&rd=1,1

they are quiet I took it to my Local GoodYear guys that do all my brakes and wheel balancing alignment and stuff like that that was another $100.00

so $200 for the total job rather cheap I think ... but now I have to buy a set of wheels when they tried to balance them I was told that the wheels were bent oh who knows
anyway my question now is I got this problem on my dash I thought the brake pads would fix can someone help me if this is another problem and if not how do I clear it ?

thanks
Remember you also have to replace the brake pad sensor. $10-20 each. You need four. See post# 18 above.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:39 PM

thanks I read the post and am I reading it correctly is it 3 or 4 ?

I will need to go buy some ....
Old 12-08-2006, 05:07 PM

Some have 3 some 4. If you have 3 then the rear driver side will be missing. Just check that side and if it's there then you have 4 if not then 3.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
also, depending on how many miles you have on your car, check to see if you need new rotors due to wearing or warpage. i change my rotors every other brake job since it is cheap insurance and since you are already working on your brakes. a set of 4 rotors are not that much from brembo. changing rotors just requires more time and patients.

angel
Old 12-09-2006, 07:16 PM

2000 S430
Brake Job Updates

Ok. So I finally got my posi quiet pads. I was all set to get my hands dirty. I was not clear on how and wear to jack up the car, hence my most recent post. I decided to go with jacking it up with a hydralic jack in the front. Underneath there was a plastic spot that I assumed was the jack point. I locked the car and started jacking it up. Then the alarm sounded!! Scared me! I quickly unarmed by unlocking. Then I heard the air. That scared me more so I just jacked up from the side with the mercedes jack. I got the tire off at least. But the alarm kept going off and evertyime I disarmed I could hear the air from the air matics go swhooshhhh. With the car jacked up on the side like that it just scared me too much. I put the tire back on. Then I looked at the car and it looked very low. I couldn't rub my hand over the top of the tire. After locking and unlocking a few times the locks finally came up and I started it up and drove it around. It seems ok. How do I set the alarm so that it doesnt come on everytime I jack it up?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:18 PM

2000 S430
Brake Job Updates

Ok. So I finally got my posi quiet pads. I was all set to get my hands dirty. I was not clear on how and where to jack up the car, hence my most recent post. I decided to go with jacking it up with a hydralic jack in the front. Underneath there was a plastic spot that I assumed was the jack point. I locked the car and started jacking it up. Then the alarm sounded!! Scared me! I quickly unarmed by unlocking. Then I heard the air. That scared me more so I just jacked up from the side with the mercedes jack. I got the tire off at least. But the alarm kept going off and evertyime I disarmed I could hear the air from the air matics go swhooshhhh. With the car jacked up on the side like that it just scared me too much. I put the tire back on. Then I looked at the car and it looked very low. I couldn't rub my hand over the top of the tire. After locking and unlocking a few times the locks finally came up and I started it up and drove it around. It seems ok. How do I set the alarm so that it doesnt come on everytime I jack it up?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Ok. So I finally got my posi quiet pads. I was all set to get my hands dirty. I was not clear on how and where to jack up the car, hence my most recent post. I decided to go with jacking it up with a hydralic jack in the front. Underneath there was a plastic spot that I assumed was the jack point. I locked the car and started jacking it up. Then the alarm sounded!! Scared me! I quickly unarmed by unlocking. Then I heard the air. That scared me more so I just jacked up from the side with the mercedes jack. I got the tire off at least. But the alarm kept going off and evertyime I disarmed I could hear the air from the air matics go swhooshhhh. With the car jacked up on the side like that it just scared me too much. I put the tire back on. Then I looked at the car and it looked very low. I couldn't rub my hand over the top of the tire. After locking and unlocking a few times the locks finally came up and I started it up and drove it around. It seems ok. How do I set the alarm so that it doesnt come on everytime I jack it up?
Right above comand there is a button with a drawing of a hook on it. Push that before you jack tha car next time. Also when you jack the car, make sure the key is not in the ignition. The airmatic does that from time to time when you jack the car. Just do what you need to do, drop the car back down, start it and wait for airmatic to raise and you should be all set.

Oh, by the way, go back and edit one of your posts, then click delete. You double posted.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by kenstudios
Some have 3 some 4. If you have 3 then the rear driver side will be missing. Just check that side and if it's there then you have 4 if not then 3.

where do I get these sensors at?

thank you
Old 12-11-2006, 01:00 PM

where do I get these sensors at?

thank you
Check with your local parts dept. Ebay has them al over the place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brake...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM

2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
How can I tell if my rotors need replacing? My dealer says front and back need it. I replaced the fronts about 30-40000 miles ago. The car (2000 S500) has 95k miles on it.
Is there a measurement of the wear that I can make to dtermine if mine are ok?
Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 07:19 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by Crankin
How can I tell if my rotors need replacing? My dealer says front and back need it. I replaced the fronts about 30-40000 miles ago. The car (2000 S500) has 95k miles on it.
Is there a measurement of the wear that I can make to dtermine if mine are ok?
Thanks
What I have seen on this and past posts is that if you feel any deep grooves when rubbing your finger across the rotor or if you feel a lip on the edge, then you need to change them.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 AM

2000 S430
Right above comand there is a button with a drawing of a hook on it. Push that before you jack tha car next time. Also when you jack the car, make sure the key is not in the ignition. The airmatic does that from time to time when you jack the car. Just do what you need to do, drop the car back down, start it and wait for airmatic to raise and you should be all set.

Oh, by the way, go back and edit one of your posts, then click delete. You double posted.
I pushed this button and raised the car up. It took me a while to get the first pin out but after that it was pretty easy. The posi quiet brakes come with a plate. It took me about 10 minutes to realize this after trying to put the mercedes one over it. I took off the plate that came with the brakes and put on the mercedes one. Did I have to do that?

Now here comes the homer simpson moment. I finished the fronts ok and went to start on the rears. I am feeling good about myself at this point. I should be finished in another 30 minutes. I live in NC and it was cold last night so I did the work in my garage. The garage is not very big but enough to walk around the car. I used the mercedes jack and a hydraulic to do the fronts. I just went with the mercedes jack in the back. Wrong move. I got the tire off and started tapping the pin when the jack gave way. Good thing my foot was not in the way cuz it would have been sliced off! The car fell slowly back on the rear passenger side. The bad thing was that it slammed into my garage door and punched a whole in the chrome strip area of my rear bumper. It also left a long scratch on the rear bumper. I managed to jack it back up and finish that side. I didnt even do the other side I was so upset. Does anyone have a part number for the rear bumber strip? I have seen bumpers on ebay and online but none of them seem to have this strip. Is it hard to change the rear bumper?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
i guess the instructions should include putting a block,, two by four or something front and rear of tires to stop car from moving! glad you were not hurt.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 AM

I pushed this button and raised the car up. It took me a while to get the first pin out but after that it was pretty easy. The posi quiet brakes come with a plate. It took me about 10 minutes to realize this after trying to put the mercedes one over it. I took off the plate that came with the brakes and put on the mercedes one. Did I have to do that?

Now here comes the homer simpson moment. I finished the fronts ok and went to start on the rears. I am feeling good about myself at this point. I should be finished in another 30 minutes. I live in NC and it was cold last night so I did the work in my garage. The garage is not very big but enough to walk around the car. I used the mercedes jack and a hydraulic to do the fronts. I just went with the mercedes jack in the back. Wrong move. I got the tire off and started tapping the pin when the jack gave way. Good thing my foot was not in the way cuz it would have been sliced off! The car fell slowly back on the rear passenger side. The bad thing was that it slammed into my garage door and punched a whole in the chrome strip area of my rear bumper. It also left a long scratch on the rear bumper. I managed to jack it back up and finish that side. I didnt even do the other side I was so upset. Does anyone have a part number for the rear bumber strip? I have seen bumpers on ebay and online but none of them seem to have this strip. Is it hard to change the rear bumper?

Thanks
Next time use your emergency brakes before you jack. Also when you decompress the calipers, the brake system gives so you dont have any stoping power. I always take the wheel off and use it as security so if the car falls back (which it has) it seats on the wheel. After all, wheels can be replaced. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:17 AM

2000 S430
Next time use your emergency brakes before you jack. Also when you decompress the calipers, the brake system gives so you dont have any stoping power. I always take the wheel off and use it as security so if the car falls back (which it has) it seats on the wheel. After all, wheels can be replaced. Good luck.
I drove it around last night and drove it to work this morning. I don't see or feel any issues. Rookie mistake.. but now i know. do you know if I can buy the rear bumper cover strip separate from the bumper? Is there a good place to look other than dealer?

THanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 PM

I drove it around last night and drove it to work this morning. I don't see or feel any issues. Rookie mistake.. but now i know. do you know if I can buy the rear bumper cover strip separate from the bumper? Is there a good place to look other than dealer?

THanks.
Not sure about that bumper cover.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 PM

I guess I didnt put on Jacking up the car instructions. I thought it would be pretty basic knowledge if you attempt to do brakes. ALWAYS USE a JACKSTAND. I never get under a car without jackstands. That risking your life. Glad you are OK. also never trust the stock Jacks unless you are in a emergency situation, on level ground, No other ways to jack up the car.

I had jackstand working. see pic.

Last edited by fkong777; 12-14-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:22 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by fkong777
I guess I didnt put on Jacking up the car instructions. I thought it would be pretty basic knowledge if you attempt to do brakes. ALWAYS USE a JACKSTAND. I never get under a car without jackstands. That risking your life. Glad you are OK. also never trust the stock Jacks unless you are in a emergency situation, on level ground, No other ways to jack up the car.

I had jackstand working. see pic.
Yeah I should have known better. That mercedes jack is scary. Are there jack stand points on the front and the rear?

I went to the body shop and the quoted me $1200.00 for the repair. I will post some pics tonight.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 PM

2000 S430
S430 Damage

Yeah I should have known better. That mercedes jack is scary. Are there jack stand points on the front and the rear?

I went to the body shop and the quoted me $1200.00 for the repair. I will post some pics tonight.
Here is the damage. Will get it back on Tuesday. Driving a 300M for now.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Job Instructions-car1.jpg  

Last edited by jmiaebrown; 12-15-2006 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Wrong pic attached

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Brake Job Instructions