S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

MAF replacement instructions please (Oxygen?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320
Which code reader did you got and from where?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Hey Darknessph,

Do you mean that the STAR computer at the dealership showed no problems but you purchased a code reader which showed codes?

Can I benefit from such code reader if my CEL is not on?

Thanks,
esprit

p.s. which code reader did you use?

Originally Posted by Darknessph
After replacing the MAF with a new one from Bosch, the symptom was still there. The.. hellish "engine check light" came on AGAIN !

I finally bought the code reader, and the results were..

BOTH PRE-CAT O2 sensor.. SHOT!

Data:

P0130 & P0150

P0130 - O2 circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0150 - O2 circuit Bank 2 sensor 1

Fuel sys1 & 2 Open loop drive
Calculated load: 10.1%
Engine coolant temp: 168F

STFT (right spelling?) Bank 1 - 0.0% Bank 2: 0.0%
LTFT Bank1 - 14.8%, Bank 2 - -14.0%

Intake manifold pressure: -5.6 in.hg

OH.. I got tons of things to do on my car.. Transmssion fluid change, eletrical seal change on the transmission, and the O2 sensor..

Stupid stealerships could not figure out these problems. I just hate them..

hope O2 sensor would cure out everything!

p.s - thanks for the reply, Espirit.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:34 AM

The data I posted was the freeze frame data that had been captured by the ECU when car misfired/ triggered ECL.

So, I don't think it is possible to pull the data when ECL is not triggered.

My stealership was blaming other stuff- like clogged injector despite the code I pulled out. I don't think the injectors are the case.

For the code scanner, I used

Canadian tire link to the code reader I used -

- one odd thing:
From the description on Canadian Tire, it says "Automatic refresh updates data every 30 seconds when connected to the vehicle - an easy way to verify repair completion."

It sounds like the code reader could be used to capture live frame data. I am not too sure - the code reader I have is the crappy one that just reads the number. The code reader on the link( one used to capture the detailed DTC code data) was borrowed from my neighbor.

Hope this helps :-)
Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Almost a Member!

driving me crazy

This problem is driving me crazy, especially since I reported it to the dealership while the car was still under warranty. The first time they changed the engine mounts, the second time raised the idle rpm. Then the warranty expired and they don't want to hear about it anymore.

I purcahsed new spark plugs and cables, will replace them next weekend.

Regards,
esprit
Old 12-11-2006, 07:24 PM

As I am 80% sure that the oxygen sensors are the cause. Currently both of my pre-cat oxygen sensors are shot. I purchased both sensor for $185 usd including the shipping to Canada. Hoping that these will arrive within 2 days, I will let you know as soon as possible of the outcome, so we could troubleshoot the problem together!

:-)

Espirit, Please post your result every time you replace something on your car, even if it did not change your car at all. These data could be used as references in the future for troubleshooting our car.

I'd say this vehicle rocking problem is not the money issue, it's just annoying.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 PM

BTW!

We have Emission warranty(good for 8 years / 130k km) which could sort out the problems with the emission related parts like O2 sensor, Cat converter..

I am pretty sure that My car will be covered within this warranty section.

The strange case about yours, Esprit, is that it's not having the Engine Check light on, so that your dealer would not fix your car under the emission warranty, blaming the problem on something else.

Hope this would be just O2 sensors, or spark plugs and it would sort out everything..!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Almost a Member!

I agree. I will let you know as soon as I replace the spark plugs and cables, please post results after replacing the o2 sensors too.

I still wonder if attaching a code reader can yield codes even if the CEL is not on. I also wonder if there is something wrong with my CEL light altogether since it did not come on when I forgot to plug up the MAF after cleaning it (CEL does come on briefly when starting the car).

Thanks!
-esprit

As I am 80% sure that the oxygen sensors are the cause. Currently both of my pre-cat oxygen sensors are shot. I purchased both sensor for $185 usd including the shipping to Canada. Hoping that these will arrive within 2 days, I will let you know as soon as possible of the outcome, so we could troubleshoot the problem together!

:-)

Espirit, Please post your result every time you replace something on your car, even if it did not change your car at all. These data could be used as references in the future for troubleshooting our car.

I'd say this vehicle rocking problem is not the money issue, it's just annoying.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by esprit
I agree. I will let you know as soon as I replace the spark plugs and cables, please post results after replacing the o2 sensors too.

I still wonder if attaching a code reader can yield codes even if the CEL is not on. I also wonder if there is something wrong with my CEL light altogether since it did not come on when I forgot to plug up the MAF after cleaning it (CEL does come on briefly when starting the car).

Thanks!
-esprit

No problem, I will certainly post the results after replacing O2 sensors :-)

If the Engine Check Light does come on, ( I am not sure if this is part of normal cycle when the car's turned on) I am sure that there will be DTC codes, which will remain for 40 cycles in ECU. DTC codes are same as the OBD II codes, but will remain longer after than the Engine check light, which will be turned off after 3 cycles if the car runs normal for 3 consecutive cycles.

when I forgot to plug up the MAF after cleaning it
hahahaha lol!!

I did the same thing after the MAF replacement, and was wondering: "WHY IS THE CAR RUNNING SO BAD!!??," and right after that thought, the engine died as if I connected the clutch too fast, like a manual transmission car. Then I pulled over to check if everything whet right, and there, I haven't connected the MAF

O well the O2 sensor did not arrive on today. It's supposed to come with the transmission dipstick. I guess I'll have to wait for it longer because of Christmas parcel traffic :-)

Best wishes to you,

Alex
Old 12-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Alex,

I just replaced the spark plugs and cables. I do not have conclusive results (was in the car for 1-2 minutes only) yet, but I have a feeling the problem is gone.

I will post in the next 1-2 days and provide more information on the results.

Regards,
esprit
Old 12-18-2006, 02:21 AM

Hi Espirit!

Thanks for your reply. I am still wating for the O2 sensors, hoping that it would arrive by tomorrow as I am levaing for Vegas on tuesday.

I cannot remind myself more about how complicated these cars are; effected by real small things that wouldn't be any problem to other cars.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Alex
Old 12-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately, the problem persists. I am however getting a better gas mileage. OK, what's next?

Happy Holidays!
-esprit

Hi Espirit!

Thanks for your reply. I am still wating for the O2 sensors, hoping that it would arrive by tomorrow as I am levaing for Vegas on tuesday.

I cannot remind myself more about how complicated these cars are; effected by real small things that wouldn't be any problem to other cars.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Alex
Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Change your O2 sensors.

You can probably get by with changing just the pre-cat sensors (left and right). Run it for a few days and see if the post-cat's get flagged too.

But if you are still under emissions warranty, have the dealer do all 4.

Otherwise, good luck with the O2 sensor socket (you have one, right?) and hope you have long arms to reach up (or down) to get to the pre-cats.

oh...and wait for the pipes to cool down before you try it. Made that mistake once on my Jeep. Ouch!!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:27 AM

Hmm. Spark Plugs did not solve the problem.

Well, please wait for me to replace the O2 sensors on my car, as I am in Vegas right now. Hope I could make up some $ which I've spent for the O2 sensors

Although you already replaced the engine mounts, I'll try replacing those on my car as I have the set in my hand- in case the sensors do not cure the problem.

For now, forget about the problem and..

Enjoy the Holidays!

Alex
Old 02-04-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Fuel

I have a 2001 S500 Sport.

It currently has 48800 miles. I experienced the same problem, but with noticable rocking. I solved my problem, it rocks no more.

The culprit: Fuel grade; I used 87 that builds up carbon and grime. Ever since I have been using Ultra or 92, I have been getting NO rocking. However you won't notice the change IMMEDIATELY! The change is gradual and will take a week. You also notice a surge in power.

Try it tell me what you saw change.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
Originally Posted by S500Sport

It currently has 48800 miles. I experienced the same problem, but with noticable rocking. I solved my problem, it rocks no more.

The culprit: Fuel grade; I used 87 that builds up carbon and grime. Ever since I have been using Ultra or 92, I have been getting NO rocking. However you won't notice the change IMMEDIATELY! The change is gradual and will take a week. You also notice a surge in power.

why would u ever put anything lower then 92 in a mercedes??especially an S CLASS????
Old 02-04-2007, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by S500Sport

You know, it says PREMIUM ONLY for a reason on the gas door. These cars are timed and tuned for premium gasoline or at least 91 octane.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:30 AM

S320
Hi guys,

I had the code 173 and changed the MAF.

After that I got:
(+)The code gone.
(-) the start of the engine is not smooth as before (if I wait 5 sec with key on before starting is better)
(-) The gear change 2nd and 3rd is not smooth as before.
(+) Better gas mileage (according to computer)

There was before also a rough idle and now is little improve but still some.
Question: Is the maf not good?
It's from ebay and has no bosch/mercedes sign on it, but the bosch serial number.

The car is S320 from 2000 with 95k miles on it.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:20 AM

i had those same codes 0173 and whateva and i used a cleaner and everything; it ran beautifully for three weeks and now the car just shuts down; do you think the o2 sensor would make the car shut down or should i have the maf cleaned b4 i goto a stealer to have it looked at. now i dont loose electrical power it just the car that shuts down like its not getting gas or something. after i let it sit for a few minutes it starts right up...............any ideas?