S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 S500 - Good Buy??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500 - Good Buy??

hi everyone...

i am thinking of buying a used 2000 S500...it has done almost 90K miles... from all u merc experts out there- is W220 reliable?...i am hoping i wont run into any major problems or repairs...i m looking for a relaible car...what do u guys have to say about the reliabilty of this car??

also, is there anything i should particualrly watch out for since its approching 100K miles?

thanks!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
make sure its already gone through the airomatic crap. and check the gearbox people have been complaining of it getting dirty inside and no shifting properly

the most reliable w220 is the final one which would be the 2006 s500
Old 12-10-2006, 09:32 AM
JAM

SL600
I have a 2000 S500, it now has 70k miles. I plan to trade it when it hits 100k miles. It has been very reliable, just little glitches along the way, but nothing that would have left me broken down on the side of the road.

If you are buying it with 90k miles, I would make sure it is coming from a Benz dealership and that they are able to show you the service history.

Makes sure that all updates and campaigns have been performed at the dealership.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 AM
JAM

SL600
Another note...

It seems that people that have problems with used Benzes are those that buy the cars cheap at auction, or from a dealership other than a Benz dealership.

These are cars that need to be maintained. Maintain them and they will be very reliable. There is a tremendous amount of technology on-board, far more than any other car on the road, and all of this technology needs to be kept in-check.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JAM
Another note...

It seems that people that have problems with used Benzes are those that buy the cars cheap at auction, or from a dealership other than a Benz dealership.

These are cars that need to be maintained. Maintain them and they will be very reliable. There is a tremendous amount of technology on-board, far more than any other car on the road, and all of this technology needs to be kept in-check.
I hate to break your bubble on this. The unreliability factor was so great with the pre-02 W220 and many people bought these cars new (like myself) only to be plaqued by problems ranging from airmatic to all kinds of electrical issues. I bought my car new and if you count the amount spent in repairs (warranty and non warranty repairs) I think I've bought one for the price of two. My car gets an oil change every 5K miles instead of the recomended 10K, everything that needs service gets serviced and everything that can break down has broken down. Everything else that MB says doesn't need service, I still service (namely tranny fluid).So don't generalize your statement by saying that cars that break down are the ones bought cheap at auctions. NO NO NO. There's no such thing as a cheap MB. It's true that the earlier W220's had problems. You want a reliable W220, get a later model year. Any car with 90K miles will have something go wrong every now and then so if you buy a car with that many miles don't expect a new car reliability. It's true MB's have a great amount of techno stuff and before you buy make sure you can afford to fix if something goes wrong. Don't buy then get stuck with high repair and maintenance bills, then do what some do - come to this site and bash these cars. Be warned before you buy. Sorry but it's true.

Last edited by kenstudios; 12-10-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:33 AM

Smile 2000 S 500

The 2000 S500 is one of the best cars I have owned. It is now available if you are interested. I have a new S550 on order for delivery next month.

My 2000 S500 is in perfect shape. 48,000 original one owner car with every possible extra including Designo. List almost $94,000. Serviced by dealer with all service records available. Garaged all the time. Never in any accidents and waxed at least twice a year. Voice activated phone, built in radar detector,
all original manuals and tools. Make me an offer of just over what dealer will allow on trade-in and you will have a great vehicle.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Ss79...

...whats your price range...if anything I'd say go with an 03 or newer S, you'll be glad you did
Old 12-10-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by fusion2007
make sure its already gone through the airomatic crap. and check the gearbox people have been complaining of it getting dirty inside and no shifting properly

the most reliable w220 is the final one which would be the 2006 s500

thanks for ur reply fusion2007...i know, most reliable will be the 2006 S500 but it is way out of my budget...i will make sure i check the "airomatic crap" and tranny if i decide to go for it...

Originally Posted by JAM
I have a 2000 S500, it now has 70k miles. I plan to trade it when it hits 100k miles. It has been very reliable, just little glitches along the way, but nothing that would have left me broken down on the side of the road.

If you are buying it with 90k miles, I would make sure it is coming from a Benz dealership and that they are able to show you the service history.

Makes sure that all updates and campaigns have been performed at the dealership.
Originally Posted by JAM
Another note...

thanks JAM...this is the sort of reply i was looking for...an overview of ur experiences as an owner of W220...i wont be buying from a benz dealership but i will be buying it from a bentley dealership? u think tht is good enuff?...i will make sure thy have service records and history for the car...also, is it possible to take the car to dealership and have them inspect the car? can we do tht??...

Originally Posted by kenstudios
I hate to break your bubble on this. The unreliability factor was so great with the pre-02 W220 and many people bought these cars new (like myself) only to be plaqued by problems ranging from airmatic to all kinds of electrical issues. I bought my car new and if you count the amount spent in repairs (warranty and non warranty repairs) I think I've bought one for the price of two. My car gets an oil change every 5K miles instead of the recomended 10K, everything that needs service gets serviced and everything that can break down has broken down. Everything else that MB says doesn't need service, I still service (namely tranny fluid).So don't generalize your statement by saying that cars that break down are the ones bought cheap at auctions. NO NO NO. There's no such thing as a cheap MB. It's true that the earlier W220's had problems. You want a reliable W220, get a later model year. Any car with 90K miles will have something go wrong every now and then so if you buy a car with that many miles don't expect a new car reliability. It's true MB's have a great amount of techno stuff and before you buy make sure you can afford to fix if something goes wrong. Don't buy then get stuck with high repair and maintenance bills, then do what some do - come to this site and bash these cars. Be warned before you buy. Sorry but it's true.

sorry to hear about ur experiences...maybe u got a bad apple or u think there are more bad apples out there than the good ones??...i mean, i sure dont wanna (cant afford to) run into half as many problems as u have listed...

Originally Posted by jstein
The 2000 S500 is one of the best cars I have owned. It is now available if you are interested. I have a new S550 on order for delivery next month.

My 2000 S500 is in perfect shape. 48,000 original one owner car with every possible extra including Designo. List almost $94,000. Serviced by dealer with all service records available. Garaged all the time. Never in any accidents and waxed at least twice a year. Voice activated phone, built in radar detector,
all original manuals and tools. Make me an offer of just over what dealer will allow on trade-in and you will have a great vehicle.

got pics??...post em here...if i like it- I will make an offer...there is one particular designo interior (brownish type) that i am not a fan of- if its anything else, i will love to consider your car

Originally Posted by blazinginder
...whats your price range...if anything I'd say go with an 03 or newer S, you'll be glad you did

i am looking for something in the range of 20K max...i wish i cud afford a 03 or newer but cant now...
this W220 will be my first car, and considering this is my first car, i think $20K is a decent budget...

Thanks everyone!!...
Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my friend who owns a used car lot, bought his cousin a 2003 S500 with 40k miles for around 33-35k at a dealer auction...you could try getting in contact with a broker who'll charge you a fee, but wull be able to get you the car for much less at these auctions
Old 12-10-2006, 08:18 PM
JAM

SL600
Originally Posted by kenstudios
Wow, Ken, I bought mine new as well, and I did have some warranty work done--airmatic twice and the instrument cluster. Nothing terrible though. I just think that some of the auction cars are cars that dealerships will pass on so as not to get a bad reputation for selling a car that was not maintained. I do agree that the later model years have more of the kinks worked out.

If buying the car at an MB dealership and if it has a warranty, you may be able to get a good deal on a 90k mile car.

Maybe I am just used to the MB quirks, but having driven these cars since 1995, I am pleased with them, overall.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:42 PM

My designo

It is the expresso (mocha black) so I guess you will pass. Sorry, its a great car that you would have enjoyed. If you change your mind I will post pictures or send them to you.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by blazinginder
my friend who owns a used car lot, bought his cousin a 2003 S500 with 40k miles for around 33-35k at a dealer auction...you could try getting in contact with a broker who'll charge you a fee, but wull be able to get you the car for much less at these auctions

i dont know...i have heard enuff HORROR stories of ppl getting SUPERB DEALS at auctions only to find out (a few months down the lane) that it wasnt that great a deal after all- with the amount they end up paying in repairs!...i dont mind paying a bit more and be able to drive and get a good feel of the car before buying rather than BIDDING on a car that i have no clue of...maybe its just me- i think it is a gamble

Originally Posted by JAM
Wow, Ken, I bought mine new as well, and I did have some warranty work done--airmatic twice and the instrument cluster. Nothing terrible though. I just think that some of the auction cars are cars that dealerships will pass on so as not to get a bad reputation for selling a car that was not maintained. I do agree that the later model years have more of the kinks worked out.

If buying the car at an MB dealership and if it has a warranty, you may be able to get a good deal on a 90k mile car.

Maybe I am just used to the MB quirks, but having driven these cars since 1995, I am pleased with them, overall.

JAM...what is this armatic problem?? i mean what exactly does it refer to?...and is it wise to assume that since the car already has 90K miles- the problem must have been fixed by the previous owner??...also if the car is not under warranty, and i do run into this problem- how much does it cost? (parts+labor?)...how long does it take to fix this problem?...any idea?

It is the expresso (mocha black) so I guess you will pass. Sorry, its a great car that you would have enjoyed. If you change your mind I will post pictures or send them to you.

dude, u can still post the pics!...maybe i will change my mind after seeing pics of the car...if not, maybe someone reading thru the threay may like the car...so doesnt harm u in any way
Old 12-11-2006, 03:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by ss79
hi everyone...

i am thinking of buying a used 2000 S500...it has done almost 90K miles... from all u merc experts out there- is W220 reliable?...i am hoping i wont run into any major problems or repairs...i m looking for a relaible car...what do u guys have to say about the reliabilty of this car??

also, is there anything i should particualrly watch out for since its approching 100K miles?

thanks!
I agree to one of the guys above find a newer S-Class about 04-07 with mileage around 20-50,000 miles. A car with mileage around 90,000 or more possibility be facing potiental headaches with maintenance issues. In the long run you might want to change for someting newer. I'm looking for a preowned S500 w/Sports Package appearance, the new S550 is still way to much for me. Good luck though
Old 12-11-2006, 11:13 AM
JAM

SL600
The airmatic problem is the pump. Went bad on me twice under warranty. Once after 3 months (when new), then the new pump failed after a week. Has been running for 6 years without issue.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 AM

One thing I can tell you is that the engine and tranny will last you longer in these cars than anyother car out there. That one I can safely say. Most problems are usually electrical or other minor issues but not major mechanical problems although they cost a lot to fix. But also if you say you are on a budget, I dont think you should invest in a mercedes. MB is not for the budget minded. Even if you end up with a good one, maintenance and everything else is twice or three times as expensive as any other car so think before you buy.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:02 PM

'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250
jstein,

I am in the market for an S class as a daily driver. Would you mind posting the pictures...I would like to see it!

I searched your posts and saw the exterior, but how about some interior shots. It sounds beautiful.

Thank you!

Last edited by brianw430; 12-11-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:55 PM

Pictures of my 2000 S500

here are two pictures, ket me know if it appeals, as I said it is the nicest one you could find,
Attached Thumbnails 2000 S500 - Good Buy??-100-0086_img.jpg   2000 S500 - Good Buy??-100-0096_img.jpg  
Old 12-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Looks realy good. Take car of it and it will serve you well.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Black is a nice color.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 PM

Interior pictures 2000 S500 Designo

The interior is not as bright as these pictures show but are browner. It is a great looking car.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 S500 - Good Buy??-100-0090_img.jpg   2000 S500 - Good Buy??-100-0087_img.jpg  
Old 12-12-2006, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

love that designo interior
Old 12-12-2006, 03:12 PM

Sorry, you can't get the designo interior without the whole car.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:55 PM

Sorry, you can't get the designo interior without the whole car.
Are you serious? I didn't know that. We learn something everyday. Welcome.