S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
Need Advice

I have an 2001 S500 48k miles which I personally would only trade in for a lower mileage '01-02' model. This car is perfect, I'm not one for the useless nightvision and the 380 hp. 302hp and 339 Ibs is more than enough on 92 octane. I could afford an '07 but choose not to.

I have a couple of topics I need covered here.

1. I have a crack going down my rear glass, can I have it repaired? Its not an external crack (i.e you cant feel the crevice, its internal) I assume it resulted from my back Lorinser spoiler from the weight of snow in the winter (might be the aerodynamic force from highspeed cruising) The warranty doesn't cover accessories, I got it in Dec of '04 with 30K with the spoiler, when it was certified, but they tell me it doesn't cover accessories anyway.
The length spans the entire glass vertically, not entire but almost to the bottom.

2. I have another more severe crack on my rear passenger side window, the size of an index finger, it looks like someone took a pen sized object and punctured it, most likely trying to break the thick-sound proof MB glass.

3. I need to touch up the car (paint). A couple of scratches in the back, a thumb nail sized dent on the side. a couple of scratches in the front.

4. Also the car has paint taken off the bottom of the front bumper (most likely from leaving a drive way or a parking barrier in a lot)

What will each issue cost me?

Thanks!

BTW, these pictures were taken fresh off the lot in '04
Attached Thumbnails Need Advice-750013_1_full.jpg   Need Advice-750013_6_full.jpg  

Last edited by S500Sport; 12-12-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
much more detailed pictures would be helpful. we cant see anything that you want us to help you with in these 2pics
Old 12-12-2006, 10:16 PM

2019 C43 Sedan
I will wash the car after my car cover arrives. I could take the pics for you tommorow. But the description enough I think?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice looking car. Glass is still glass and not all are created equal. The better tha quality the more it cost. These are laminated glass and costs are 2-3 times that of regular cars. Replacing the rear window is in the 800-1200 range depending on the dealer. The side glass is in the 700-1000 range. They can only punch a small hole and fill it with glass filler to stop the spread but not to repair. You can't repair glass.

Paint - expensive if you are painting the entire car. $4500-8500 depending on which paint you use. You could touch up those minor chips then use clay and seal for a fraction of the cost of paint. Most peaople here like the Zaino product line. Try that and spend a whole day to see if it makes a difference before you think of painting. Then again like you said you can afford a new S550 so that means that cost is no option.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by S500Sport
I have an 2001 S500 48k miles which I personally would only trade in for a lower mileage '01-02' model. This car is perfect, I'm not one for the useless nightvision and the 380 hp. 302hp and 339 Ibs is more than enough on 92 octane. I could afford an '07 but choose not to.

I have a couple of topics I need covered here.

1. I have a crack going down my rear glass, can I have it repaired? Its not an external crack (i.e you cant feel the crevice, its internal) I assume it resulted from my back Lorinser spoiler from the weight of snow in the winter (might be the aerodynamic force from highspeed cruising) The warranty doesn't cover accessories, I got it in Dec of '04 with 30K with the spoiler, when it was certified, but they tell me it doesn't cover accessories anyway.
The length spans the entire glass vertically, not entire but almost to the bottom.

2. I have another more severe crack on my rear passenger side window, the size of an index finger, it looks like someone took a pen sized object and punctured it, most likely trying to break the thick-sound proof MB glass.

3. I need to touch up the car (paint). A couple of scratches in the back, a thumb nail sized dent on the side. a couple of scratches in the front.

4. Also the car has paint taken off the bottom of the front bumper (most likely from leaving a drive way or a parking barrier in a lot)

What will each issue cost me?

Thanks!

BTW, these pictures were taken fresh off the lot in '04

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...QQcmdZViewItem

This should help with the back glass.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 PM

2019 C43 Sedan
Thanks for the info. Are you sure I can't repair glass, I heard its possible to do. I remember reading something about nano technology used to fill the glass. How does the glass filler work? Does that put a mark on the glass that makes it clear as compared to the tint?

I won't spend 4500 to paint the car anew, thats just throwing $ into the wind.

I remember spending $200 to repair a dent on my FX (a 2 foot dent) and he painted a couple of chips on the car. The S-class doesn't have and dents just a couple of chips in the front and back. So I figure $300 max.

I also want to put new rubber on, whats good for the Sport? Dupont Sport Maxx? I have SP9000 on there now, but its $250 a tire! I want to spend 150-200. I'm not exactly taking it out to the track. Something for moderate performance, to keep in in a straight line. These are 18 inch rims.

Last edited by S500Sport; 12-13-2006 at 04:54 PM.