S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S500 for a young adult?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
I just got tired of driiving ugly cars. I am 32 and its the best looking car I have ever had. Though I wish I had consulted this forum before I bought the one that I did. Do you think carmax would buy mine? Does anyone know how that works? Or should I just try to sell it on AutoTrader or something. I have a 2000 S430 about 114K miles. Would love to move up to a 2003 S500 with <65k miles.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
Originally Posted by jmiaebrown
I just got tired of driiving ugly cars. I am 32 and its the best looking car I have ever had. Though I wish I had consulted this forum before I bought the one that I did. Do you think carmax would buy mine? Does anyone know how that works? Or should I just try to sell it on AutoTrader or something. I have a 2000 S430 about 114K miles. Would love to move up to a 2003 S500 with <65k miles.

i've been told to wait for a 04 W220. stronger/rust-proof galvanized steel body, 7speed tranny, dvd-nav, greatly improved interior material (00-03 look cheap)
Old 12-20-2006, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by srknutson
Split the differance and get an E55 or a new E63. Fun to drive and under stated luxury.
Very well put... + 1
Old 12-21-2006, 01:54 AM

Thanks guys. I've been looking at an E55 as suggested and although it looks very clean, I'm still digging the S500 more. In a deal I am working on, the buyer and the seller have just agreed to postpone the closing, so it looks like I'll be getting the car in another two months.

As for the age thing, it is not that I come to them and say, "Hello, I am 19," but it is kind of obvious that I am very young. I've been into teen bodybuilding since 16, so that kind of helps in making me look a little older (still in my early twenties, I am told). I've tried a mustache, but I just look funny with one. I kind of exhausted my options on how I can look more older (pasture, the way I talk, walk, the clothes I wear, watches, hair, etc). I heard that constant use of meth, chain smoking, and doing crack cocaine might help in making me look a bit older, but that kind of seems a little extreme. Thoughts?

By the way, since it was mentioned, I'm getting it entirely on my own dime (I'm loaning half of the amount so I can establish a credit history). I have nothing against those whose parents bought them expensive cars, although I've bought cars on my own dime since I was 16. I actually feel thankful to my parents for not "spoiling" me at an early age and will probably be similar with my kids, God be willing I have any (i.e. only pay, at the most, for half of the amount) . It kind of drove the concept that I can't be screwing around doing stupid things and wasting time and that I have to take work and education seriously very early on.

Last edited by thisistheone; 12-21-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I heard that constant use of meth, chain smoking, and doing crack cocaine might help in making me a bit older, but that kind of seems a little extreme.
Don't touch them with a ten foot pole.
I've seen friends try it for recreational use early in highschool. It's college now and they are seriously ****ed up.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:46 AM

2000 S-Class
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Credibility definetly is established by the person, not the car.

S500 would be my choice too (duh) ..... its very smooth. Get the sports package to young it up a bit though if u are concerned with looks.
Hey Chucky What kind of tint did you get on your S-Class?? Thanks for the info! Oh and yeah the S is more business type than a Vette. Plus it's sort of universal if you want to add style and class @ the same time!!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:57 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
+1 for a E55
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
I guess you can tell by my signature where I weigh in on this debate. Sounds like you are on the right track with the suits, watches, S class, etc. One additional suggestion...enhance your vocabulary and choose your words carefully. The way you present yourself visually and verbally has a profound effect on how you are perceived. As a comparison...take a look at the recent debate between Donald Trump and Rosie O'Donnel. Who is more impressive?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
i think the OP needs an exotic to make a statement, thus he should ask his dad to buy him a 997 twin turbo, or a ferrari F430.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 AM

2012 CLS 550
I had one at 16 wasn't akward at all just make sure you get the sport package (specifically the amg rims) the s class without one looks like it would be for older people.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by thisistheone
Thanks guys. I've been looking at an E55 as suggested and although it looks very clean, I'm still digging the S500 more. In a deal I am working on, the buyer and the seller have just agreed to postpone the closing, so it looks like I'll be getting the car in another two months.

As for the age thing, it is not that I come to them and say, "Hello, I am 19," but it is kind of obvious that I am very young. I've been into teen bodybuilding since 16, so that kind of helps in making me look a little older (still in my early twenties, I am told). I've tried a mustache, but I just look funny with one. I kind of exhausted my options on how I can look more older (pasture, the way I talk, walk, the clothes I wear, watches, hair, etc). I heard that constant use of meth, chain smoking, and doing crack cocaine might help in making me look a bit older, but that kind of seems a little extreme. Thoughts?
Building a well-rounded vocabulary (with being overtly pretentious) can certainly help. Even better, focus on patterns of speech: banish "ums", "likes" and similar placeholders from your speech. Tape yourself speaking extemporaneously, if necessary. Nothing sounds more immature than saying filler words frequently. If you have bad vision, use glasses instead of contacts. People think I'm comfortably above 30 with them on, and about 21-ish with 'em off (I'm really 25). Remember with clothes that fancy is good, to a point, but not too fancy. You don't want to cross over into the realm of bling or needlessly show-offish. If you want to be mature, be understated by using subdued, even monochrome, ties; silver watches instead of gold, etc. That's my reservation about you getting an S-Class: it seems like you're trying too hard. Now, on these boards we have a number of people who have them at a young age, but that's not really the point in your case. You're trying to cultivate a mature, respectable image.

I do think a restrained luxury car can help in that regard, but I think an S-Class is overcompensating. Try an E-Class, 5er-Reihe, or a Lexus GS (the hybrid 450h could put forward a good image of yourself as socially responsible). There are a raft of great choices in that mid-range portion of the luxury market. Better yet, buy a Jaguar S-Type or XJ8. Maintenance and electrical will probably be as bad or worse than a W220, but on the other hand, a Jaguar brings with it a strong cachet of a gentleman's car, if you will. Even though you can afford an S on your own, it's going to look to many people (including some of your clients) like your parents got it for you, or you're new money who wants to blow cash on the biggest, bestest car in the world. That's going to put off a lot of people, even if they never say a word about it. Plus, a mid-range lux-sport saloon says you've achieved a certain level of success, one that people who drive similar vehicles will appreciate, and persons who drive lesser cars (like a 3-Series/C-Class type, or non-luxury vehicles) will understand as a badge of success. However, a full-out M-B S-Class could be a bit off-putting for those who have worked many years and still only have the E in the garage, and could trigger the "spoiled brat" response. You don't want that. In five or seven years, you'll progress far enough that an S-Class won't seem as pretentious, but for now it's just too much. Just my tuppence.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by tmushy
I had one at 16 wasn't akward at all just make sure you get the sport package (specifically the amg rims) the s class without one looks like it would be for older people.
You are so correct... I felt that my car looked like it was my father's or mother's when I first bought it...

Tints, Rims (with style) are a must if you're underage like my self. My car is also lowered and the engine is tuned but that's optional...

Here is the before and after:

Old 12-21-2006, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Tints, Rims (with style) are a must if you're underage like my self.
Mine are on order.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
Lets go back to the kids orginal question, if you pull up in a S class like or not the other person will not beleive that it is yours but will think it is either your fathers or your bosses car. If you fix it up to fit your age then you look like a spoiled rich kid.
The best option is what a few people said go with a E-Class or even a C-Class at your age the best way to impress people (Car in mind) is look like you had some success and however you are money minded.

Good Luck!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by carsinamerica
Building a well-rounded vocabulary (with being overtly pretentious) can certainly help. Even better, focus on patterns of speech: banish "ums", "likes" and similar placeholders from your speech. Tape yourself speaking extemporaneously, if necessary. Nothing sounds more immature than saying filler words frequently. If you have bad vision, use glasses instead of contacts. People think I'm comfortably above 30 with them on, and about 21-ish with 'em off (I'm really 25). Remember with clothes that fancy is good, to a point, but not too fancy. You don't want to cross over into the realm of bling or needlessly show-offish. If you want to be mature, be understated by using subdued, even monochrome, ties; silver watches instead of gold, etc. That's my reservation about you getting an S-Class: it seems like you're trying too hard. Now, on these boards we have a number of people who have them at a young age, but that's not really the point in your case. You're trying to cultivate a mature, respectable image.

I do think a restrained luxury car can help in that regard, but I think an S-Class is overcompensating. Try an E-Class, 5er-Reihe, or a Lexus GS (the hybrid 450h could put forward a good image of yourself as socially responsible). There are a raft of great choices in that mid-range portion of the luxury market. Better yet, buy a Jaguar S-Type or XJ8. Maintenance and electrical will probably be as bad or worse than a W220, but on the other hand, a Jaguar brings with it a strong cachet of a gentleman's car, if you will. Even though you can afford an S on your own, it's going to look to many people (including some of your clients) like your parents got it for you, or you're new money who wants to blow cash on the biggest, bestest car in the world. That's going to put off a lot of people, even if they never say a word about it. Plus, a mid-range lux-sport saloon says you've achieved a certain level of success, one that people who drive similar vehicles will appreciate, and persons who drive lesser cars (like a 3-Series/C-Class type, or non-luxury vehicles) will understand as a badge of success. However, a full-out M-B S-Class could be a bit off-putting for those who have worked many years and still only have the E in the garage, and could trigger the "spoiled brat" response. You don't want that. In five or seven years, you'll progress far enough that an S-Class won't seem as pretentious, but for now it's just too much. Just my tuppence.
This is what I would have said if I hadn't been beaten to it. There is much wisdom here. An S500 is indeed a nice car, but a young person driving it gives off the opposite impression as if someone older was driving it. If you're involved in business at a young age you want to give the impression that you are mature, responsible, and more importantly frugal with your own money. If you buy an S500 you risk giving the impression that you are an immature kid spending all your money on flashy cars, clothes, etc to impress people. If people believe you cannot be frugal with your own money, why would they trust you with thiers? A car in no way will give you credibility or respect, but it can take it away.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
With the new comments...my vote is for the E320 Bluetec.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:00 PM

2012 CLS 550
get some black rims with chrome lip trust me no one will think its daddys car with that
Old 12-21-2006, 06:01 PM

2012 CLS 550
as for the e class its a nice car but its too cramped I like how I can sit in the back of my car and stretch out!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
get some black rims with chrome lip trust me no one will think its daddys car with that
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the suggestions you made, lead to the image he's trying to avoid.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:09 PM

2012 CLS 550
not true it can be done very classy

I have friends that are loan officers and real estate agents who have Cls63 Cls55 Sl550 all with rims(cars done very nicely) etc... and they are the top producers for the companies they work for.

Btw there all under age of 21.

So I don't think rims reflect a negative image if done right.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
not true it can be done very classy

I have friends that are loan officers and real estate agents who have Cls63 Cls55 Sl550 all with rims(cars done very nicely) etc... and they are the top producers for the companies they work for.

Btw there all under age of 21.

So I don't think rims reflect a negative image if done right.
Yeah but you live in So Cal. Did the OP say where he lived? There are HUGE regional differences with car mods such as rims, tints etc. That would look out of place where I live, but I'm sure in So Cal that is the norm.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:05 PM

2012 CLS 550
your right i hadnt thought of it like that
Old 12-21-2006, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Just to give my opinion, I think that an S500 would be overkill as well. I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you can/want to spend the money on a new E350 or E550 with sport package that would be a great car for you I think. It has the elegant, business man look, yet a little flair with the sport double-spoke wheels, black birds-eye maple wood, and the two chrome tailpipes. I never liked the E-Class, but they really have outdone themselves with the update for 2007. Here is a pic of the new car with sport package:

What does everyone else think.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML
With the new comments...my vote is for the E320 Bluetec.
Good choice; an E500/E550 could work, too. An E55/E63 AMG probably sends the boy-racer message, with the side skirts, air dams, and prominent large alloys.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 AM

I find it fascinating that I continue to be impressed by the comments every time I log-in. There has been great insight in this thread and I appreciate every participant's perspectives.

It seems like I am swaying back and forth in my decision. On the one hand, a part of me would like to drive a luxury car that is surpassed in its class only by the very few other elite and exotic cars. On the other, I could definitely appreciate how driving in this car will inevitably lead to the general public perception that I am either driving my father's/boss's car, am being spoiled by my parents, or being foolish in spending every penny I have on the car; all of which are images I am trying to avoid promoting. I have decided to have a friendly word with some senior brokers at work about their views on investors' general perceptions, but will say that I have noticed something that has stroke me as being odd in the very first week I had started working for the firm.

There are many senior brokers who make seven-figure salaries, yet choose to drive an older ('01-'03) BMW 325, C240, and older Lexus cars to work. I know for a fact that at least a few own very expensive cars, but most do not choose to drive them to work at all. Granted that I have never been to a client meeting with a broker other than my partner, I have a feeling that they do not go back home to pick up their other more expensive cars when going to meet a client. This is definitely an area that I have overlooked and that I should give some consideration.

I feel comfortable with purchasing a car up to thirty-five thousand. I can be somewhat malleable, but I would like to keep it in this range, as I am saving up for a house. As such, the new E350 and E550 is out of my price range. However, I am looking much more closely at slightly older E350s since reading your responses. Although I am not the biggest fan of Jaguars, I am starting to take a closer look at a Lexus as a result of some of the suggestions, though I have to say that I currently would prefer a Mercedes.

As a side note, commercial brokerage, at least in the area that I work (Northern California), is much different than residential. The latter is almost the opposite of commercial brokerage in terms of its flexibility on formality, dress code, and overall behavior. One aspect that is somewhat relevant to the discussion is the fact that a great relationship with only a few developers/investors is all that it really takes for one's career to take off in this business. I hope that I will be able to establish myself and foster such relationships in the near future, so I will not have to worry about creating a negative impression while driving a high-end vehicle to a meeting with investors who know my work.

Last edited by thisistheone; 12-22-2006 at 03:19 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S500 for a young adult?