S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Reactivate tire pressure sensors dont work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 S55 AMG
Reactivate tire pressure sensors dont work

So on my car I decided to adjust the tire pressures, one was slightly high at 39, so dropped it to 32, well during that time the cluster flashed in read saying tire failure, probably cause it saw massive amount air dropping, after that I reset the warning. But not everytime I start the car the message states "Reactive using R" everytime I go to the tire screen, it shows all 4 tires pressures and it works, however it shows that message at the top, if I press the R button it does nothing, press and hold it, does nothing. Drove it 20mins, still nothing. Everything works except I have a tire light in the dash and that message that appears everytime I start the car.

What is required to reset it? I went through the manual and it dont work.

Dixit
Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
You're doing everything I know to do - I assume you're doing the reset while the tire pressure readouts are still onscreen. You might try using the reset button without the tire pressures being called up (leave the MFD wherever it is when you start - probably displaying your odometer - and then push & hold reset for about 2 seconds).

If that doesn't work, your car is still under warranty - I'd give the dealer service department a call. Or, if you have a Tele-Aid subscription, you could try the "i" button for assistance.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 PM

04 S55 AMG
Ok, yea when the initial startup happens it tells me to correct my tire pressures and reactivate the system, only way to get out of that screen on the MFD is to hit the R. Which then your MFD returns to normal. But the tire pressure light is still on and if you go to the tire pressures, you see all the pressures, but the top says "Reactivate using R", which dont work. Yea wil probably have to call the dealer. Or I can try the teleaid, dont know if i have a subscription, bought this car used.

Dixit
Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Dixit
Ok, yea when the initial startup happens it tells me to correct my tire pressures and reactivate the system, only way to get out of that screen on the MFD is to hit the R. Which then your MFD returns to normal. But the tire pressure light is still on and if you go to the tire pressures, you see all the pressures, but the top says "Reactivate using R", which dont work. Yea wil probably have to call the dealer. Or I can try the teleaid, dont know if i have a subscription, bought this car used.

Dixit
When you are at the screen that shows the tire pressures, I think you have to press the page key and it will take you to the reset screen also. then use your + - keys to toggle activate to yes. If the light is on, is should be on No. if it is on yes, toggle to no then yes and it will go into read mode again.
If that doesn't work, you can force it into reset mode by taking out the fuse and putting it back in. the fuse is located in the panel at the rear seat. I forgot which fuse it is though.

I'm going to start a website call ihatetpms.com LOL.. I have been fighting a sensor issue with my car for weeks and I finally get the deealer to check it for me and come to fine out I had 3 bad sensors instead of the 1 I thought I had.
Speaking of which, don;t rely on the sensor for accurate pressure, double check it with a gauge because sometimes they go bad and give off crazy readings and when you adjust your pressures, you get a fault.

The oem sensors are 250 each at the dealer. Tirerack sells them for 89 each. So I'm going to buy be an AM set for $360 and start over.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 AM

04 S55 AMG
Well turns out I took it to the dealer and they couldnt get it to reset either. After 2days of troubleshooting it turns out a faulty instrument dimmer knob was causing all the issues. The dimmer knob on the left when you push it in wouldnt come out, you had to pull it out with your finger nails, he said it was in a state where it was sending a signal to the cluster which was causing any other commands not to register. After they fixed that (believe they ended up replacing entire cluster for just a knob) then everything worked fine, including my funky gas gauge issue.

Dixit
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by my06clk
When you are at the screen that shows the tire pressures, I think you have to press the page key and it will take you to the reset screen also. then use your + - keys to toggle activate to yes. If the light is on, is should be on No. if it is on yes, toggle to no then yes and it will go into read mode again.
If that doesn't work, you can force it into reset mode by taking out the fuse and putting it back in. the fuse is located in the panel at the rear seat. I forgot which fuse it is though.

I'm going to start a website call ihatetpms.com LOL.. I have been fighting a sensor issue with my car for weeks and I finally get the deealer to check it for me and come to fine out I had 3 bad sensors instead of the 1 I thought I had.
Speaking of which, don;t rely on the sensor for accurate pressure, double check it with a gauge because sometimes they go bad and give off crazy readings and when you adjust your pressures, you get a fault.

The oem sensors are 250 each at the dealer. Tirerack sells them for 89 each. So I'm going to buy be an AM set for $360 and start over.
I had issues, and found that I had a bad tire. Put new tires on, filled them w nitrogen and the TPM work great. They indicate very accurate tire pressure. In the AM cold all show 36 drive 20 min 37, do a burn out 39 on the rears. I now feel that they work better than most think.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
I had issues, and found that I had a bad tire. Put new tires on, filled them w nitrogen and the TPM work great. They indicate very accurate tire pressure. In the AM cold all show 36 drive 20 min 37, do a burn out 39 on the rears. I now feel that they work better than most think.
This is good news.. I'll just start with a fresh set of sensors and go from there.