S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Intermittent vibration....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 Designo/Mocha Black
Intermittent vibration....

Just started about a week ago. A mild vibration that shakes the whole car. It's intermittent. I read the threads and I balanced my tires already but its the same. It's weird cause it won't start vibrating until about 30-45mins while driving. Then suddenly nothing.

By the way my tires are brand new conti's on stock mb 16" rims.

I know a lot of people have had this issue but has anyone had it come and go or only at certain speed?

Thanks,

RICH
Old 05-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Almost a Member!

'02 S320L (W220)
Originally Posted by qriousrich
A mild vibration that shakes the whole car. It's intermittent. It's weird cause it won't start vibrating until about 30-45mins while driving. Then suddenly nothing.
I had exactly the same problem + sometimes when I drive the car @ 120km/h then slow down to 20km/h the car suddenly won't accelerate back.

So I took it to MB's service center.They replaced my gas pedal and now the problem is gone.

Originally Posted by qriousrich
I know a lot of people have had this issue but has anyone had it come and go or only at certain speed?
Yes,when I had the problem the vibration wasn't persistent (it comes and goes).

With my car the vibration occurs somewhere between 40~100 km/h and I noticed by increasing the speed the vibration increases.

But I personally don't think the speed has any thing to do with the vibration because it starts sometimes @ 50km/h and sometimes @ 40km/h and sometimes @ 60km/h ...... etc various speeds.

But however I noticed it starts mostly after 30-45mins of driving.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
This is a long long loooong shot. Several years ago, I had something similar happen with a Chevy Tahoe. Drove me nuts. I was given the suggestion to break the tires down and move the tire 90~180 degrees on the rim relative to it's original location. In doing this it was discovered that water was in the tire!!

I asked WTF..over?...The answer= air compressor tanks must be drained regularly to purge the system of condensation moisture. If this is not adhered to religiously water/moisture will accumulate in the system and will eventually find it's way into air tools and in my case the tires.This is a real issue in areas where there is a large differential in day time/night time temperatures

The water is not static, it is dynamic and if it is moving around in a wheel/tire assembly it will erase any efforts to balance that assembly.

This rarely happens with reputable shops...but it is possible.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 AM

S500 Designo/Mocha Black
vibration...

gas pedal really? strange....good it worked for you. I got my stock conti's rebalanced. It had magnetic weights on. I don't know if any weights fell off or not. I got it rebalanced and requested the weights that attached to the back lip of the rim instead. At first run it vibrated but lightly at the same speed but after a couple of days of constant use its now gone. So almost a week with no vibration....knock on wood.

RICH
Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
where you get the updated hid headlights and how much?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 PM

S500 Designo/Mocha Black
Originally Posted by S500 Man
where you get the updated hid headlights and how much?
I got it about 2 years back from Steve at MbenzNL. $1500 installed.

RICH
Old 05-22-2007, 05:19 PM

2000 S-Class
Yo Rich! My car is starting to rattle too. I think it might be the mufflers cause everytime i hit a small bump going 25mph it rattles also when I start to accelerate. I was up in L.A. last weekend near LBC!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM

S500 Designo/Mocha Black
you should've PM'd me. I'm always around town. Yeah you better get those pipe hangers checked out. later

RICH
Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 PM

s-430 and e-500
vibration

nah guys its not tires or wheels. I bought new tires, new wheels "20's" best on the market and speacially made for the car. I recently started having vibration in the passenger seat up around 67-70 mph. after elimating the wheels and tires i took the car to the dealer. so far im out $1400 for a part thats in the rear axle "cant remember the name" and a drive shaft. They still ahve the car. Tech says both replacements helped but the problem still exists. so i'm waiting. glad to know it's something common, i thought it was just me. MB dealer gives me the impression that they reall dont know what causes it. There just replacing parts that COULD be the problem. extended warranty covered the drive shaft though. this sucks, i want my car back.