Sunroof problem...stuck on tilt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240, 2000 S430, 2002 ML320
Sunroof problem...stuck on tilt

Hello guys, sorry for bothering again.

I havea 2000 S430, and I recentley pressed the sunroof tilt up button, it is now stuck in that position, whenever I push the button to bring the sunroof back, or slide the sunroof completley back, the roof comes down to original position, and then tilts right back up....PLEASE HELP!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:54 PM

Anyone??? please help, I can drive outside, its pouring out!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Press the sunroof control and hold for 10 seconds up and also try it pushing sunroof control back towards the rear of car nad hold for 10 seconds.. see iif that re-sets it.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 PM

I tried that, same thing! It just goes down, and then tilts right back up...please someone help?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
That's about all that can help - running it to both limits and holding it at each limit for 10 seconds.

Your other alternative is to pull the fuse for the sunroof and manually crank it closed (the instructions should be in your owner's manual; the crank may be in the owner's manual case, the glove compartment, or wherever a prior owner - if there was one - may have left it). That will stop the leaking until you can have it fixed.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylaw
That's about all that can help - running it to both limits and holding it at each limit for 10 seconds.

Your other alternative is to pull the fuse for the sunroof and manually crank it closed (the instructions should be in your owner's manual; the crank may be in the owner's manual case, the glove compartment, or wherever a prior owner - if there was one - may have left it). That will stop the leaking until you can have it fixed.
Also try to reset the windows (and probably everything else) by disconnecting the battery, wait a few minutes and reconnect then try the 10 second reset on windows and sunroof. It wont hurt to try. Another way is to use your key. Hold the unlock button on your key standing next to the driver side door and the windows and sunroof will open. Hold the lock and they close.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:56 AM

2000 S430
I had the same problem last week with my 2000 S430. Fortunately I just kept playing with it and it eventually closed. If you do find out what the problem was please let me know. I'm sure I haven't seen the last of that problem.....

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2007, 07:29 PM

I got it closed...I simply pushed the button to bring in the side mirrors in, and then brought them back out.

Then I pushed the sunroof tilt down button, but as it was closing I quickly pushed and held the slide back button, and it shut. It slides back and closes perfectley, but im not going to try tilting it up anymore...guess this is a commong problem with these **** boxes...shame, my second mercedes, really hope this doesnt ruin Mercedes mindset for me.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by acedking90
I got it closed...I simply pushed the button to bring in the side mirrors in, and then brought them back out.

Then I pushed the sunroof tilt down button, but as it was closing I quickly pushed and held the slide back button, and it shut. It slides back and closes perfectley, but im not going to try tilting it up anymore...guess this is a commong problem with these **** boxes...shame, my second mercedes, really hope this doesnt ruin Mercedes mindset for me.
Just one of the many electric problems with these cars.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 S600 Black/Black
Originally Posted by acedking90

That is WEIRD. I had the same problem, and before that the one-click didn't work at all. Then I followed the advice of about 10 other threads on the subject of sunroof resetting, even on different models like the ML. I even tried the ECM reset with the gas pedal depressed in key position 2, etc, etc, etc. Finally, through some resetting I did, the sunroof came down and went back automatically, at some point in my testing. Now the one-click works, but I have a new problem: when all the way back I press the one-click or manual close, either way, the sunroof closes all the way until right before it is in complete close position, then reverses suddenly and returns back to about 3 inches open. No matter what resetting I do in any combination, it cannot close all the way - only about 98% closed before reversing. Talk about frustration! I have spent probably 2 man hours on this <censored> sunroof!!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 S600 Black/Black
more sunroof mysteries

Maybe some common issues here...

My sunroof is acting crazy. The problem changes, and the traditional reset is not working.

Last week: it would close almost all the way and at the last second reverse and stop about 3" open. Try to close and hold - it stops and reverses back to 3" again like something is blocking it. Slide back all the way to hold for reset - no effect. Going forward again reverses itself. Tilt doesn't work either, at all. So I hand crank it back to closed position and leave it there the rest of the week.

Today: I removed the fuse 77 in the right passenger foot area. Put fuse back in. Hit UP. Now it goes up, but it seem too far up, and clicks. Pressing down does nothing. Lubed the joints with a plentiful combo of wd40 and lithium grease. Press down. Now it closes all the way. Holding it back lowers it, forward raises it. One-touch doesn't work. Keep button held back - closes it 2 inches at a time. Keep doing this and it goes all the way - seems like too far, as a hear a couple of clicks - almost like a crunching sound before stopping. All the way forward and up, hold for 10 seconds. Same situation.

All the plastic in there seems fine. At one point the rear tilting window seal thing seemed to be dislodged on the front joints so I put that back into the holes on the sides. So to summarize the current state: it is going too far in either direction, one-click does not work, and going back only goes 2-inches at a time, so you have to keep clicking over and over before it reaches all the way back.

I have no idea now what is causing this, and I can't decide whether to just say the hell with it and stop using it altogether, or keep playing with the damn thing until it corrects itself. The dealership says it needs a new control module, $1200. But I get the feeling they won't seriously troubleshoot it until they have a contract for $1000.

If anyone has experienced this please let me know!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Avantgarde
Hi, it seems from what you guys are experiencing may be due to an intermittent power/battery disconnect and so have to "teach" the sunroof the limits. Your pulling of that fuse out certainly falls into this scenario.

On my AMG, when i experience loss of normal control for the sunroof, i turn on the ignition. Then I hold the button for sunroof to slide back and it will go 2 inches at a time then stop....don't worry...keep sliding roof back in these increments until it looks to be at max opening (as a safety measure, you will hear those crunching clicks if you continue past point of max opening so stop at that point). Then hold finger on closing switch. Continue doing this until it completely closes the sunroof and do not release until until sunroof goes to fully tilt position. Once this has been achieved, 99% of the time, it has been reprogrammed and should operate normally. i.e It will tilt if you lean switch up and sliding switch forward should close the tilt. And pulling it back should open roof. If the sunroof hasnt learnt, repeat the above procedure again. Normally it learns first time around.

The above procedure obviously teaches the computer the limits of opening for calibrating so it will work as is intended. The same goes for power windows. If you have recently disconnected the battery and power windows play up, you can calibrate it by ioening window to max position and closing it fully and re opening it fully. After that it will relearn the limits of opening and operate as it should.

Hope this helps u guys.

Originally Posted by e55bliss
Maybe some common issues here...

My sunroof is acting crazy. The problem changes, and the traditional reset is not working.

Last week: it would close almost all the way and at the last second reverse and stop about 3" open. Try to close and hold - it stops and reverses back to 3" again like something is blocking it. Slide back all the way to hold for reset - no effect. Going forward again reverses itself. Tilt doesn't work either, at all. So I hand crank it back to closed position and leave it there the rest of the week.

Today: I removed the fuse 77 in the right passenger foot area. Put fuse back in. Hit UP. Now it goes up, but it seem too far up, and clicks. Pressing down does nothing. Lubed the joints with a plentiful combo of wd40 and lithium grease. Press down. Now it closes all the way. Holding it back lowers it, forward raises it. One-touch doesn't work. Keep button held back - closes it 2 inches at a time. Keep doing this and it goes all the way - seems like too far, as a hear a couple of clicks - almost like a crunching sound before stopping. All the way forward and up, hold for 10 seconds. Same situation.

All the plastic in there seems fine. At one point the rear tilting window seal thing seemed to be dislodged on the front joints so I put that back into the holes on the sides. So to summarize the current state: it is going too far in either direction, one-click does not work, and going back only goes 2-inches at a time, so you have to keep clicking over and over before it reaches all the way back.

I have no idea now what is causing this, and I can't decide whether to just say the hell with it and stop using it altogether, or keep playing with the damn thing until it corrects itself. The dealership says it needs a new control module, $1200. But I get the feeling they won't seriously troubleshoot it until they have a contract for $1000.

If anyone has experienced this please let me know!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by V8 AMG
99% of the time, it has been reprogrammed and should operate normally... ... ... Hope this helps u guys.
+1... this was very helpful for me... thank you. Had the wonderful pleasure of canceling a trip to the MB dealership... I could hear the disappointment in the service managers voice... telling someone in the background to put their clothes back on because they wouldn't be <censored> me in the <censored> today.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 AM

Mercedes S500 4Matic
I just have this problem myself,with the sunroof.And this video hepld me.Is verry good for solving this problem.