A different Airmatic problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 300E, 99 k1500 Suburban
Unhappy A different Airmatic problem?

Hello everyone.
So I have searched all the airmatic problem posts and have not been able to find anything like the problem I am having. So hopefully someone maybe know something about it.

The car is a 2002 s430. About 3 days ago I was driving it n the highway around 80MPH and the "Airmatic problem visit shop" message came on. The car felt no different and I continued on my way. Later that day I got back to the car, it looked normal, was not low. I started driving it an no messages. Once i got back on the highway again though the message came back but the car felt normal.

I do understand the car lowers it self at higher speeds, so I thought may it was not lowering itself at high speeds. So then two days later I was driving it again again the message appeared again on the highway but no change in the feel of the car.However once I got to where I was going I noticed
that the car was much higher ( as in raised up). The car then sat for a day and when I returned the car looked like a 4x4. I started the car and no change. I had to drive it and it drove ok other then being much more firm.

Again the car has sat for a day or so and no change. It is lifted as high as it can go? There has never been any noise of air and i have never heard the compressor running.

Sorry for being such a long post. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I'm going to take some guesses, but that's all they are. Bottom line in each one is, have the dealer or your Benz-certified independent check it.

1) There is a problem with ride height sensors telling the system the car is too low. Or,

2) Your airmatic relay failed (on), and that is coupled with a failure of the pressure release function of the system causing the struts to extend.

Also, the car should automatically lower only if you are driving it in the raised position. Normally this is done only for rough road surfaces, or (perhaps) to clear a curb after scraping your bumper on it (damn curbs!). Raised is not the normal driving position.

Get it checked; don't keep driving it like this. You DO have a problem.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Start the car and listen for the Airmatic compressor running...it is at the right front corner, low in the engine compartment. Shut the engine down and see if you hear it. In any case,,,wheather you hear it or not, replace the relay. I suspect at some point the relay stuck closed an caused the compressor to "Over Run" and send a code. Replacing the relay might cost you $30~$40 but know this...they do go bad. If you replace the relay you might buy some time before the compressor go's out. BTW...if you hear the compressor running with the car off, immediately pull the relay to avoid ruining the pump.

Good Luck.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sprink49
Start the car and listen for the Airmatic compressor running...it is at the right front corner, low in the engine compartment. Shut the engine down and see if you hear it. In any case,,,wheather you hear it or not, replace the relay. I suspect at some point the relay stuck closed an caused the compressor to "Over Run" and send a code. Replacing the relay might cost you $30~$40 but know this...they do go bad. If you replace the relay you might buy some time before the compressor go's out. BTW...if you hear the compressor running with the car off, immediately pull the relay to avoid ruining the pump.

Good Luck.
Where can you purchase that relay is that a dealer item only? This morning I went to start the car and the warning came on said "Airmatic " stop car is too low

Thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
The MB part number is 0025421319 which crosses over to Bosch part No. 0986332040.. You can get it at parts houses other than the dealer.

Last edited by sprink49; 06-18-2007 at 11:03 AM.