Owners Manual for 2000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Owners Manual for 2000

Does anyone have soft copy for 2000 (S500) model or can you tell me where I can get a copy of it?

My key doesn't work to open/unlock the trunk and can't start the car with the key either. I was wondering if there was a way you can jump start the car (I heard you can do that with some Mercedes model) without being able to get into the trunk (FYI. - in S500 that's where the battery is located).
Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The MBUSA Owners Online site provided the following to me when I checked last week answering a similar request:

"Your manual is not currently available online. However, manuals for vehicles prior to model year 2004 can be ordered through the Customer Assistance Center. To obtain a document for your model year, please contact a Mercedes-Benz representative: By phone at 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372) or e-mail." Of course, you would order soft copies through this point.

However, contributor "agunjal" indicated he could still download an electronic MY 2001 manual from the MBUSA site. Registration is free, so you might try it.

See the post at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ighlight=MBUSA for discussion of more manuals you may need. You can also get the maintenance manual from MBUSA.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Originally Posted by Skylaw
The MBUSA Owners Online site provided the following to me when I checked last week answering a similar request:

"Your manual is not currently available online. However, manuals for vehicles prior to model year 2004 can be ordered through the Customer Assistance Center. To obtain a document for your model year, please contact a Mercedes-Benz representative: By phone at 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372) or e-mail." Of course, you would order soft copies through this point.

However, contributor "agunjal" indicated he could still download an electronic MY 2001 manual from the MBUSA site. Registration is free, so you might try it.

See the post at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ighlight=MBUSA for discussion of more manuals you may need. You can also get the maintenance manual from MBUSA.
Thanks. Yeah, I went on MBUSA and I didn't see for 2000 model. The other link has Command Operator manual but not owners manual. Thanks again
Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tino
Thanks. Yeah, I went on MBUSA and I didn't see for 2000 model. The other link has Command Operator manual but not owners manual. Thanks again
You're welcome - and the post said "more manuals you might need." If you have your COMAND manual, you're in good shape. if not, you'll increase your enjoyment of the car immensely if you download and read it. Saves tons of frustration.

If you can download the 2001 owner's manual, it would give you a start until you get your paper copy. The main immediate differences are that the '00 voice control has fewer functions than the '01, and it is activated by a steering wheel button vice a stalk on the steering column. Some menus on the instrument cluster may function slightly differently as well. If a phone was installed, it would have been a StarTac vice a TimePort (neither is usable today without modification anyway). However, most of the things function the same way.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
You're welcome - and the post said "more manuals you might need." If you have your COMAND manual, you're in good shape. if not, you'll increase your enjoyment of the car immensely if you download and read it. Saves tons of frustration.

If you can download the 2001 owner's manual, it would give you a start until you get your paper copy. The main immediate differences are that the '00 voice control has fewer functions than the '01, and it is activated by a steering wheel button vice a stalk on the steering column. Some menus on the instrument cluster may function slightly differently as well. If a phone was installed, it would have been a StarTac vice a TimePort (neither is usable today without modification anyway). However, most of the things function the same way.
Thanks, Skylwa. Yeah, I need owners manual where it shows more mechanical stuff. Because right now I can't even turn my car on so can't use any command at all. My key doesn't work to unlock the trunk either and don't want take it to dealer so I thought I can read in owners manual if there was any other way I can start the car.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tino

Take a look at the second post here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...t=unlock+trunk

I would caution on jump starting the car, however. Some have reported damaged electronics (and others say it can be done with no problems). I suggest replacing the battery before jump starting (and by that, I mean cranking it - not just applying power to open the trunk)

If your battery is dead as a doornail, after you have replaced it you'll want to take a look at this: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show...30#post2216730

From your series of writeups here, I presume you have no power to any part of the car (since you cannot investigate COMAND). If you do, and you cannot start it or open the trunk, your smartkeys need to be re-coded to the car by the dealer.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-20-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Tino

Take a look at the second post here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...t=unlock+trunk

I would caution on jump starting the car, however. Some have reported damaged electronics (and others say it can be done with no problems). I suggest replacing the battery before jump starting (and by that, I mean cranking it - not just applying power to open the trunk)

If your battery is dead as a doornail, after you have replaced it you'll want to take a look at this: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show...30#post2216730

From your series of writeups here, I presume you have no power to any part of the car (since you cannot investigate COMAND). If you do, and you cannot start it or open the trunk, your smartkeys need to be re-coded to the car by the dealer.
Thanks, I just skpoke to someon with Mercdes help desk and they are going to send over a Mechanic at my house to jump start the car @ FREE OF CHARGE!. I just don't know if they are going to show up or not because I had a fist with them. They worked on some stuff that I never authorized and my insurace company wouldn't pay them either so I just took the car and left. But don't ya think they will have to send the mechanic if they want to stay authorized dealer...atleast I hope so :-)
Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You could be in legal trouble for driving off in the car while not paying or resolving the disputed bill.

In most states, the law gives mechanics working on a car a "possessory interest" in the car - meaning they can keep it until the bill is paid. If your state does, you stepped on their rights by driving off, and you should have worked this out better with the dealer.

I don't want to get involved in the "who shot John" discussion of the rights and wrongs of either the work done or the bill. But you have exposed yourself to potential trouble.

If the mechanic who shows up works for the dealer you had the dispute with, one thing he could try to do after you have given him the key and allowed him inside the car is get the car running, then drive it back to the dealership whether you want him to or not. In essence, when you give him the key and allow him back inside it, he once again may have possession, and act to reassert his possessory interest. I have no idea of whether that is what he intends, or if your state's law would allow that type of "self-help" to protect his interest until he is paid or until the dispute is resolved. Some states would permit just that.

The rights are usually exercised by Repo men. Others to whom the law gives a possessory interest may as well.

The other thing that could be happening is that the car in fact needs repair that can only be done in the shop. They may in fact need to take it in - but of course, depending on the law, they may be within their rights to reassert their possessory interest and not give it back until paid.

You had best resolve this, and not just by driving off. That's not the way to handle things. You may also want to consult an attorney familiar with your state's law, especially if the bill is significant.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-21-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
1, You had better get it straight with your dealer.

2. Look on EBay... There are manuals on there all the time. I purchased a second set so I could pull the originals and store them.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
You could be in legal trouble for driving off in the car while not paying or resolving the disputed bill.

In most states, the law gives mechanics working on a car a "possessory interest" in the car - meaning they can keep it until the bill is paid. If your state does, you stepped on their rights by driving off, and you should have worked this out better with the dealer.

I don't want to get involved in the "who shot John" discussion of the rights and wrongs of either the work done or the bill. But you have exposed yourself to potential trouble.

If the mechanic who shows up works for the dealer you had the dispute with, one thing he could try to do after you have given him the key and allowed him inside the car is get the car running, then drive it back to the dealership whether you want him to or not. In essence, when you give him the key and allow him back inside it, he once again may have possession, and act to reassert his possessory interest. I have no idea of whether that is what he intends, or if your state's law would allow that type of "self-help" to protect his interest until he is paid or until the dispute is resolved. Some states would permit just that.

The rights are usually exercised by Repo men. Others to whom the law gives a possessory interest may as well.

The other thing that could be happening is that the car in fact needs repair that can only be done in the shop. They may in fact need to take it in - but of course, depending on the law, they may be within their rights to reassert their possessory interest and not give it back until paid.

You had best resolve this, and not just by driving off. That's not the way to handle things. You may also want to consult an attorney familiar with your state's law, especially if the bill is significant.
It was an insurance claim and I had only authorized them to work on the stuff that was caused because of the rack and not to work on anything else. So, I paid what my deductible was and that’s what my insurance company had told me first time when he went to look at the car. They worked on something that had nothing to do with rack and I wasn’t going to pay for something that was perfectly fine when I gave them the car. It's like you specifically tell them to do only oil change and they add 150 bucks for viper blade that you had specifically told that don’t worry about it. But anyway thaks for your advice but I did spoke to an attorney when this happened. And the dealership (GM of the dealership) did not want me to take this route. So at the end I paid them the deductible which I owe them. Just to get back to me they want me to tow the car when there was nothing wrong with my car. So, after I had signed my release paper and gave them the check for my deductible than that car is mine. One of the attorney suggested that that particular dealership is know for this kind thing and I should write a letter to the Better Business Bureau.