S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Add Satellite Radio to 2005 S500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S500 4matic sport
Add Satellite Radio to 2005 S500?

Can anyone help me find part number information for the satellite radio kit that the dealership wants $1100 for? I was able to find a brand new Bluetooth adaptor on eBay for $250 when the dealership wanted $500 and would like to do the same for the satellite radio!

Also, does anyone know where the satellite radio gets plugged in?

Thanks

Martin
Old 09-30-2007, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by palatineMartin
Can anyone help me find part number information for the satellite radio kit that the dealership wants $1100 for? I was able to find a brand new Bluetooth adaptor on eBay for $250 when the dealership wanted $500 and would like to do the same for the satellite radio!

Also, does anyone know where the satellite radio gets plugged in?

Thanks

Martin
Keep in mind you also have to install the antenna (involves drilling a hole in the bodywork of your car) so you might want to think twice about doing this yourself.

The receiver "plugs into" the MOST fiber optic ring. You will need a dealer or other tech with access to a Stardiag system to recode the ring controller for the unit to work. Until you recode it you will probably have problems with the audio, phone, nav, TeleAid, etc.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by whoover
Keep in mind you also have to install the antenna (involves drilling a hole in the bodywork of your car) so you might want to think twice about doing this yourself.

The receiver "plugs into" the MOST fiber optic ring. You will need a dealer or other tech with access to a Stardiag system to recode the ring controller for the unit to work. Until you recode it you will probably have problems with the audio, phone, nav, TeleAid, etc.
Not True.

There are a zillion antenna options other than drilling. Magnet base or stick-on works well and can be purchased from crutchfields.

With MOST you should not have to version code the SAT. it will identify the SAT module. Either way it's only 1hr. labor Ifits even needed.

BtW. $1100.00 is for parts ad labor. If you ask fpr the Kit you can get it foe about $450.00 from the dealer depends on who you call and how desperate they are.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by my06clk
Not True.

There are a zillion antenna options other than drilling. Magnet base or stick-on works well and can be purchased from crutchfields.

With MOST you should not have to version code the SAT. it will identify the SAT module. Either way it's only 1hr. labor Ifits even needed.

BtW. $1100.00 is for parts ad labor. If you ask fpr the Kit you can get it foe about $450.00 from the dealer depends on who you call and how desperate they are.
If you want to go with a magnet base or stick on and exposed wires, go for it. But you can't compare that to the dealer installation that looks like a factory install. The factory instructions say that version coding is required:

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...2004-23-04.pdf
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 S450
I just installed a XM in my S600. Radio was 39.00 and the device that goes in series with the radio antenna cable was 35.00. To use it I just select a unused FM freq. and turn the XM radio on and it work perfect. I put the radio in the center console. I mounted the XM antenna on roof just in front of the GPS antenna. It was mag mount and I put a little silicone caulking under it to make it semi permanent. I ran the wire around the rear window under the wx stripping and into the trunk under the wx stripping and ran it under the back seat and up to the center console. I dont use the phone so it fits in there niceley. I connected the power wire to the cig lighter in front ashtray..
Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you want to go with a magnet base or stick on and exposed wires, go for it. But you can't compare that to the dealer installation that looks like a factory install. The factory instructions say that version coding is required:

The factory instructions always say that. Doesn't mean it's true. We've already discovered that they just don't know "Everything". You seem to have a lot of faith in those guys Whoover, but that's your option. I've done a lot of mods so I know better than to take anything the dealer says for face value.
These cars all have a personality of their own so things just don't work the way it is written most of the time.

There are no exposed wires with the Stick-on, if its done right. The stick on I used came with a small wire channel that butted up to the back of the antenna.

FYI. The Factory install on my E was a stick-on. on top of my Pano-roof. I undid their crappy work and remounted it on the trunk facing up like it was supposed to be.

My w220 has the drilled antenna. I do like it better but it's just a whole so if you know how to handle a drill it's not rocket science.
The spot where the whole goes is already marked if you have the factory trunk. and there are plenty of instructions posted on installing the drilled antenna. The stick-on is just easier and just as clean. ( see Pic )
Attached Thumbnails Add Satellite Radio to 2005 S500?-pipes-5.jpg  
Old 09-30-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW.

I just noticed you were in the Bay area.. I was just up there last week in Calistoga.. Very Nice area!!!!