Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Pump (Smog) Whining Noise

2002 S500

At the front of the engine under the cover
There is an air pump that runs approx. 30 sec
on a cold start to assist with the emissions
Mine has a high pitched whine that is damn annoying.
Anybody else experiencing this?

I have this sinking feeling that if I take it to the dealer
there gonna say they all do that, or thats normal.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500, Black on Stone
Mine does the same thing. I haven't really worried about it, and it hasn't caused any problems. But I don't know if mine is that loud or high pitched....just a noise the car makes among the many.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I can't imagine MB 'engineered ' that engine to have a whine. I personally haven't heard a whine on the cars that we have worked on. I suspect that a bearing may be heading south in that pump.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I can't imagine MB 'engineered ' that engine to have a whine. I personally haven't heard a whine on the cars that we have worked on. I suspect that a bearing may be heading south in that pump.
I'm sure they didn't either but the whine is not the engine its the A.I.R. pump.
Maybe they had a weird batch of pumps in those years....

My Ex-wife's 2003 ML does the same thing...WHINEY Pump.. they didn't replace it because they said it wasn't a failure, just a slight whine. It drove her up the wall.. HA HA HA HA... anyway... she finally gave up complaining about it. I guess it went away she hasn't said anything about it. At least not to me....
Old 11-15-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise rent-a-car!!!
When the pumps get noisy its usually a sign that they are on the way out. You will know when its gone, because no more sound and a check engine light.
easy to change, takes about 10 minutes. Don't let it short out and fry the harness.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by damaged
When the pumps get noisy its usually a sign that they are on the way out. You will know when its gone, because no more sound and a check engine light.
easy to change, takes about 10 minutes. Don't let it short out and fry the harness.
Thanks for info. My car is still under CPO. Should be interesting if MB Dealer
replaces it for whining or will make me wait till it fails. I have to say my experience tells me my dealer will be less than accommodating. Anyway, at least I will have it documented. By the way retail on that f*ing pump is $765.00

Thanks again to everyone for your input, I'll follow-up after I get in to the dealer, hopefully next week.

Last edited by rccmerc; 11-15-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Update - True to Form

Update - The Rundown - 2002 S500 less than 49k Miles

On Cold Start there is a loud whining noise coming from the Emissions A.I.R Pump. The Sound is audible for approx. 30 seconds to 1 minute and goes away when the pump cuts off.

A.I.R Pump Replaced. Warranty No Charge

Front end has developed pronounced squeaking/groaning noise in the front suspension when riding over dips/bumps in the road. The sound is particularly coming from the front passenger side wheel area. You can get the car to make the sound by rocking the passenger front side of the car up and down by hand.

Right Front Lower Control Arm and Right Front Ball Joint Replaced. Warranty No Charge

Please inspect the hair line cracks on top of both front strut towers. Both black covers have cracks emanating from where the gold brass fitting passes thru them.

Both were leaking - Performed Star Bulletin P-B-32.22/18C – Repaired both with Repair Kit 2 220-320-25-38. – Warranty No Charge

Power Steering makes very audible moaning/groaning sound particularly noticeable when parking the vehicle. Very Pronounced when it gets colder outside.

Power Steering low on fluid, clamp loose at pump. Resecured clamp and filled to proper level. Charged me - Maintenance.

Frequently, when releasing the parking brake, the brake light in the instrument cluster will not go out. To get the light to go out you have to pull the parking brake release lever repeatedly back and forth and eventually the light will go out.

Parking Brake Pedal Ratchet Dry – Lubicated mechanism and checked linkages. Charged me - Maintenance.

Gear shift lever for transmission can be very difficult to move from Park to Drive.

Shift Lock Solenoid Binding. Electronic Module Floor Shifter Mechanism Replaced. Warranty No Charge

I thank everybody at this site and particularly, Jayhawk and Skylaw, The information provided has been spot on as to what the problem areas are. I know what to expect and look for, and for that I am most appreciative. Also happy to have the Starmark Warranty!