S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Please help!!!!!! S600 Starting problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help!!!!!! S600 Starting problem

I have a 2003 S600 and every once in a while, I flip the key to start the car, and it clicks and fails to start. I usually get an ESP malfunction. I have to retry a few times before I can get the car to start.

I notice a very mechanical hollow sound...when the car does start. It just doesnt sound like normal.

Starter problem? How much?!?!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Hmm, could be the crankshaft position sensor. Do a search for that.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by newton22
Hmm, could be the crankshaft position sensor. Do a search for that.
Starter... I have the same. Don't get stranded....( I'm talking to myself...)
Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 PM

How much is the starter...and it is difficult to install?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 AM

'05 S600,' 04 GTO,Ducati 1098S
Originally Posted by exoticalex
How much is the starter...and it is difficult to install?
You have an S600 your not supposed to do it yourself!

You should go to the dealer or any Mercedes shop that has a STAR diagonstic computer and you should get diagnosed. It may not be the starter it could be some simpler electrical problem. You own a car with a V12 and twin turbos ANYTHING could be wrong and from the sound of your expertise you must have purchased this vehicle recently and it has probably went through a few hands already that have beat on it like I beat on mine.

If it is the starter or whatever part, try OEMPARTSDIRECT.COM or one of MBWORLDS sponsors who offer OEM parts. Good luck and I hope you get to the bottom of this problem my 600 brethren.

PS: Get RENNtech or EvoTech ECU/TCU and blow the doors off any AMG outside of our slightly powerful brother the 65.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay bigBody, here's the big debate....

And why is he not supposed to do it himself? I would think the fact that its a 600 is precisely the reason he should be looking at DIY.

I'm pretty sure its the starter, this is not a problem that's specific to the s600. I have had the same exact thing on my 430. Guess what, starter going bad.. I promise.

You are correct OEM parts is the best game in town, they have complete starter rebuild parts you can purchase iE, armature, coil, etc... and rebuild the old started for a lot less than purchasing a new one. That's the route I'm going.. I'm just waiting for the chance to get around to it.. ( Hence my stranded statement...)

If anyone has noticed, anytime you have a missed start on your S, ( you turn the key and it slips out of your grip quickly before starting, or the starter hangs up...)
you will get and ESP malfunction. Usually you have to wait for a few seconds before the car will even crank. That has something to do with the computer logic and is completely normal.. (then esp thing not the starter hanging up.. )
I've done this a million times with my car because I'm a twirp...and always slip my FOB out of my grip when I start my car because of the way I usually carry my key which is around my finger like a ring. then I try to start the car like that and.. ouch>>>. That's how i noticed this.. but If you haven't I wouldn't go trying to...

At 70K I'm planning a weekend shop party on my S. before the spring hits. My punchlist will be the Starter, fuel filter, and change all 4 rotors with some cool one's. This will all be done in conjunction with whatever service I have due I think it's B. For me it's all the same job.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:58 AM

'05 S600,' 04 GTO,Ducati 1098S
Damn, you know your stuff, my350clk.

Forget the dealer. Everybody on the forum should pitch in some money and buy a STAR DIAGNOSTIC computer and we should get together during our regional meets with guys like you and just service and diagnose our cars. Our initial investment would pay off on the first meet.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BigBody6
Damn, you know your stuff, my350clk.

Forget the dealer. Everybody on the forum should pitch in some money and buy a STAR DIAGNOSTIC computer and we should get together during our regional meets with guys like you and just service and diagnose our cars. Our initial investment would pay off on the first meet.
I couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or what.. But no apologies here for what I know...

FYI. STAR is pretty useless for basic non computer related troubleshooting. Especially intermittent issues as stated above.

As the owner of an industrial consulting firm I make a good living working with computer logic on a daily basis and one thing I have learned is that many times the "logical" solution is not exactly the best solution but it takes a bit of experience and intuition to be able to discern between what is logical and what is best.

I know this is waaay off topic but..

As an example, when I retrofitted the NAV unit on my W203 I could not get the steering controls to work. Took it to the dealer, they hooked up the STAR, it told them that my Comand unit was from a G-series, and they could not communicate with it, they told me I had the wrong command. Hmmmmm..

Well as it turns out, there was a bad connection for the connector that held the CAN signals from the Comand so all I needed to do was reach behind the unit and press the connector in a little further and presto!! fixed.

I called my SR and told him that I solved the steering control mystery, and told him the those guys should stop listening to their laptops so much and use their brains..I was already paying for the troubleshooting, so it would not have bothered be one bit if they had taken another hours worth of time to check the connections...

Sorry for getting off topic....
Old 11-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Hmm... I wonder what my independent dealer will charge to fix the problem. Any ideas? I will bring the car by this afternoon.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by exoticalex
Hmm... I wonder what my independent dealer will charge to fix the problem. Any ideas? I will bring the car by this afternoon.
It should be easy to find if it happens all the time..
Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Looks like the complete starter is about $500... i would assume a few hours of labor to install. Damn