S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Rearview Mirror position not being memorized

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S430 4matic
Rearview Mirror position not being memorized

When memorizing my drivers seat position the rearview mirror position is not memorized. When pressing the recall button the review mirror goes back to its older position, not the position it was in when I memorized the current positions. Any ideas? Is there a reset for the rearview mirror? Vehicle is an '04 S430.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy Reading!

Time to Sell that Piece of Crap!! Joking

I copied and pasted this from a post by Skylaw - I would link the thread/post but for the life of me I can't figure it out right now.

This info is so handy, although I have posted it before, I'm doing it again.

First, the ECU reset procedure that Johnny7623 recommended is included in my owner's manual in the battery change instructions - along with some additional info on things that may need to be reset (it helps to read those manuals!!) However, not everything is addressed there, so here goes.

Windows, seats, mirrors, steering wheel position (easy entry/exit) and the like can be reset by running them fully in one direction, holding the switch at full travel for approximately 2 seconds (or longer), then running to the opposite limit, holding for about 2 seconds (or longer). It is not unusual to have to do this after the battery is disconnected. The positioning of many of these features is controlled by a Hall's Effect generator, a simple device that counts revolutions of a motor shaft, and it must be set to register the proper number of turns to reach both limits of travel.

Synchronizing Head Restraints:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or empty), the head restraints are no longer adjusted automatically. To resynchronize the adjustment feature, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approximately two seconds.

Synchronizing power windows:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), the windows cannot be opened or closed by the Express feature. To resynchronize the express feature, press side of power window switch to resistance point until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening and closing procedure of the windows should now be restored. (Note: This sometimes works as well for problems with manual operation of the windows, but not always).

Synchronizing sliding/pop-up roof:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and hold for additional 1 second.

Synchronizing ESP (ECU):

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or empty), the BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp may be illuminated with the engine running. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out. For more on resetting the entire ECU, see Found it! ECU Reset Procedure.

Synchronizing remote control:

The remote control may have to be resynchronized, if the vehicle cannot be locked or unlocked. To synchronize insert electronic key in steering lock. The remote control should once again be operational."

Synchronizing Steering Column Height/Easy Exit:

Steering wheel height - basically the same procedure, but with a caution. Move your steering column down SLIGHTLY, and if you can then bring it back up to where it started (but not higher), then you need to reset the column with the simple procedure below. HOWEVER, if it goes down slightly, but will not go back up at all, do not try the reset - it probably will go fully down and not come back up! You may not be able to get into the car to drive, if that happens. Get it serviced.

Run the steering column full down, and holding the switch down for about 10 seconds after it reaches the lowest position; then run it back up fully and hold the switch up for about 10 seconds after the column reaches its upper limit of travel. You may need to do this several times. That should reset the limits in the Halls' Effect generator, and your column should function normally.

Seats (easy exit) - try running them to the limits also; however, the seats slide back in the easy exit mode only if they are pretty far forward in the first place. if they are back beyond certain limits (set by Mercedes), not sliding further back is normal operation.

Not all cars have easy exit, and for those that do it must be selected in the MFD (instrument cluster) menu.

Last edited by rccmerc; 11-30-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Scollard
When memorizing my drivers seat position the rearview mirror position is not memorized. When pressing the recall button the review mirror goes back to its older position, not the position it was in when I memorized the current positions. Any ideas? Is there a reset for the rearview mirror? Vehicle is an '04 S430.
The button that switches the position controller from the left to the right mirror must be in the right-mirror position for the mirror to dip. Make sure that you don't have it in the left position when moving to reverse. It's actually quite convenient to be able to control whether the mirror dips or not.

If this is not the problem, make sure you've memorized the position correctly. First, confirm that the MIRROR SETTING WHEN PARKING option is turned on. (It's in the cluster menu, CONVENIENCE submenu.) Then, memorizing the mirror is not done with the same sequence as memorizing seat position. The sequence is position the mirror where you want it to be in reverse, press M and within three seconds press the down arrow on the four arrow positioning control. You know it was memorized if the mirror doesn't move down further. If it does, you waited too long and need to do the sequence again.

Finally, make sure you're using the same key. Each Smartkey has a unique memory. The parking mirror position is the same for all seat positions on the same key (which can be a problem if "1" is a tall driver and "2" is short). For this reason, each driver gets their own key with it's own seat and mirror positions.

Because this is all so complicated, late W220s have both the mirror parking position and key-dependent memory disabled. That was the case with my 2006, and I had to force the dealer to turn them back on. That shouldn't be the case with a 2004, unless it was reflashed.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 PM

2004 S430 4matic
It is my Internal Rearview Mirror

Sorry, I may have to clarify that it is my interior Rearview Mirror position that is not being memorized.

There are no buttons to adjust the interior rearview mirror. So how do you reset the Hall sensor on this mirror?

J.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Later W220s (and all W221s) deleted the motor control for the internal rear-view mirror. I thought the feature was deleted in 2004. If your mirror moves, you might have one of the last cars with the motor but the later software. Did it ever work? Was your car re-flashed for some reason? Perhaps the cluster was replaced?

It sounds like you would need to dealer to version-code your car to tell it that you have the motor-controlled rear-view mirror, unlike most 2004s.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 PM

2004 S430 4matic
Mirror not cooperating

Originally Posted by whoover
Later W220s (and all W221s) deleted the motor control for the internal rear-view mirror. I thought the feature was deleted in 2004. If your mirror moves, you might have one of the last cars with the motor but the later software. Did it ever work? Was your car re-flashed for some reason? Perhaps the cluster was replaced?

It sounds like you would need to dealer to version-code your car to tell it that you have the motor-controlled rear-view mirror, unlike most 2004s.
Yes the mirror moves to the older programmed position. I'm not sure if the car was re-flashed but I'm going to find out. The cluster was replaced in the recall, maybe that was when it went wacky.