S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

*Just a Quick reply plz* Does this picture means I have MHI/Phone in my 05 S55.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Just a Quick reply plz* Does this picture means I have MHI/Phone in my 05 S55.

I am driving my self nutts to figure out what I need to have my car bluetooth equipped. I know I need the bluetooth puck for sure. But does this switch beneath my armrest means that my car is MHI wired ? If yes what other parts do I need ?

Can I use this with my current setup in the car ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Benz-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by manni786; 12-14-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by manni786
I am driving my self nutts to figure out what I need to have my car bluetooth equipped. I know I need the bluetooth puck for sure. But does this switch beneath my armrest means that my car is MHI wired ? If yes what other parts do I need ?

Can I use this with my current setup in the car ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Benz-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem
That which you see in your armrest is the connector that you will hook up the appropriate phone "puck" to. I would assume that your car is phone ready since you have that connector but I'm not absolutely positive. Hooking up the puck is so easy , a knuckle-dragging caveman could do it.
Go to wireless4mb.com to find out what you need. That website also provides the manuals for each system available and that includes installation/usage instructions. I hooked mine up in 5 minutes. The average caveman...maybe 8 minutes.
What kind of cell phone do you have?
Post me a private message if you would like more help. I may not come back to this thread.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Trumpet1's information is correct, as is his link to AWS - where you can determine the plug-in cradle and compatible plug-in phone options; or the Bluetooth puck option and compatible Bluetooth phones.

The RAZR V3 has a combination cradle and puck that allows the phone to be charged when in the cradle, and also connects the phone (which suffers from poor signal strength except where the coverage is very strong) to the car's external antenna - improving its signal strength.

The device in your picture is called the "contact plate" and the cradle or puck slides into it easily. It is normally only installed if the car had a phone system. Yours probably has the rest of the electronics installed.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much guys, I bought the Benz Bluetooth Puck off ebay for $300 and hooked it up and its working like a charm. Wondering what I need to do if someone has 2 phones ? Any body has any experience in regards to connecting 2 phones via bluetooth. Anyway's thank you so much for your input. Much appreciated.
-Sal
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by manni786
Wondering what I need to do if someone has 2 phones ? Any body has any experience in regards to connecting 2 phones via bluetooth.
-Sal
Pair them both (but turn off the phone already paired when you do the pairing procedure on the second). After pairing, the puck will automatically look for the last phone paired; if it does not find that phone, then it will search for the phone paired just before. The newer pucks will pair up to four phones (older ones may pair only two); when a fifth (or third, for an older puck) is paired, the first paired is automatically dropped.

The puck will not allow two or more phones to be active on the system simultaneously - only one at a time.

This suggests that the secondary driver should pair a phone first, and the primary driver's phone should be paired second. If both get into the car at the same time, the driver's phone would be active on the system, while the passenger's would not.

If you are riding with a passenger carrying a phone, but yours is the one currently active on the system, you can have the passenger forward calls to your phone (or use no-answer call forwarding). Useful on long trips. Once you set it up, it's very easy to enable and disable. Your service provider can tell you how to do this (not all cell providers offer no-answer call forwarding, and for those that do, plans may differ in whether it is included).

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-17-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
I'm glad that we could be of help. I too bought the bluetooth-only pod about 2 months ago but was very disappointed with it because of dropped calls (as skylaw warned about). I also had a very difficult time getting the voice activation to respond to my commands. My earlier system (taken from my 2002 CL) was non-bluetooth and I never had problems with this, even while that system was hooked up in my 2007 S600.
So I got rid of that puck and went with the Motorola Razr V3 system (HMI) which allows for either bluetooth capability OR an actual connection inside the console and the reception is now phenomenal. No more dropped calls because the phone is now linked to the car's antenna, battery regeneration of course while plugged in, and the command system works flawlessly.
The system works so well that if you don't turn the telephone system to "off" before exiting the vehicle to go inside your home, their is a good chance that the cell phone will remain in contact with the car while you're walking around in your house and you'll miss calls because the phone will be ringing in your pocket and in your car but you can't talk on it because the "speakerphone" expects you to be in the car in order to talk!!!!!! In other words, you'll have to quickly run out to your car to talk to whoever is on the phone. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on. (This also happens with those earpiece bluetooth devices, which I finally broke down and bought. Not sure I like it though). The linkage is very strong with this setup. In fact, even if you just walk out to your car, your phone will be detected and the car will link up to it automatically if your cell phone is set up that way (like mine). This probably occurs especially if your keys are in your pocket and the car thinks you are about to get in and drive.

I was due for a cell upgrade anyway so I bought a Mtrola Razr V3 at BestBuy , linked it to my car, and it is by far the best system in my opinion.

Last edited by trumpet1; 12-16-2007 at 08:49 PM.