S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2005 S430L Fuel Calculation Problem in Dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430L
2005 S430L Fuel Calculation Problem in Dash

I have a 2005 S430L. I brought it in for its first service last year. They said they had to replace the instrument cluster as it was an affected part. (Reports of Premature failure) or something like that.

Any way, it was replaced under warranty.

However, I have noticed that with the new instrument cluster:

When I leave the display on "Reset after start", it no longer blinks. Before it would blink for a few seconds then reset after I start the car.

Now it just shows the previous data.

If I leave the car for around 4 hours, it does reset the trip computer when I start the car. However, time, distance and average speed are reset to zero. L per 100km seems to be stuck at 40.0.

Even when I drive the car, it still shows 40.0. It does not move for atleast 10 mins. If I manual reset it with the "R" button, all seems normal.

Any ideas? Am bringing it to the dealer next week. It is strange that the display no longer blinks when I start the car. (The manual says it should!)

thanks

Chucksta
Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
there should be two windows for fuel consumption...one is after reset..and the other is after start...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 PM

S430L
Originally Posted by ssonss1
there should be two windows for fuel consumption...one is after reset..and the other is after start...
Yes I know.. the problem I have is with the "reset after start" window.

The fuel usage is reset to 40.0L/100km and it is stuck there for atleast 10 mins whilst I am driving.

It also does not blink anymore after I start the car
Old 02-16-2008, 04:14 PM

2001 s500 Sport
Interesting....similar situation with mine after cluster replacement. If car is restarted after a short period, data continues with same info as when car was shut off. If vehicle sits for several hours, data is erased and average fuel economy starts at 3.9 MPG. Prior to cluster replacement, data reset to zero after restart unless car was restarted almost immediately.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Chucksta
Yes I know.. the problem I have is with the "reset after start" window.

The fuel usage is reset to 40.0L/100km and it is stuck there for atleast 10 mins whilst I am driving.

It also does not blink anymore after I start the car
I don't think its a real big deal, its not like its actually controling your fuel economy or anything..

YOU have to be driving at a constant speed like on the freeway for a good while before that average will change.. The sample time is fixed and not based on any driving habits or changes in driving environment.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by my06clk
I don't think its a real big deal, its not like its actually controling your fuel economy or anything..

YOU have to be driving at a constant speed like on the freeway for a good while before that average will change.. The sample time is fixed and not based on any driving habits or changes in driving environment.
True, but it is my understanding that as the instrument cluster recall is a MB fiasco, they relegate the task to techs in training, which may or may not know how to completely code the unit. Warranty/Recall work is and continues to be MB's albatross. And even with the divestiture of Chrysler, Dr. Z. and the alike lot will/attempt to cost cut to look good to investors/shareholders, as it should be. But, as a MB Owner you must be persistent. Do not get obfuscated by the brand, Daimler / MB hemorrhaged billions of dollars in the merger of "equals" they will recoup this one way or the other.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by rccmerc
True, but it is my understanding that as the instrument cluster recall is a MB fiasco, they relegate the task to techs in training, which may or may not know how to completely code the unit. Warranty/Recall work is and continues to be MB's albatross. And even with the divestiture of Chrysler, Dr. Z. and the alike lot will/attempt to cost cut to look good to investors/shareholders, as it should be. But, as a MB Owner you must be persistent. Do not get obfuscated by the brand, Daimler / MB hemorrhaged billions of dollars in the merger of "equals" they will recoup this one way or the other.
agreed but if you want to know the concrete truth..
The entire W220 is just shy of an albatross like many brands of its era....There were many many issues with this car since 2000 that should have been recalled but were not. The MFD recall is a cluster F^&*K ( No pun intended ) because the techs for years have only been able to do exactly what they are doing now.. Just plug in, and follow the version coding procedure and it all works out okay..NOT!!!!!

I have been dealing with European companies for years on a very techical level an I will tell you this....

Outsourcing abroad is a bigger problem where products have been exported than you can imagine... The companies that house the engineering expertise for these things are not even MB employees... So, where do you go when there is a 7 year recall?? Hmmm.. no where..

By the way... Dr.Z and those folks were wiped off the map earlier this year.. So their tenure has been over.. I've been watching to see where mercedes was going to go next.... we'll see.. but I think the days of yesteryear are long gone.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by my06clk
agreed but if you want to know the concrete truth..
The entire W220 is just shy of an albatross like many brands of its era....There were many many issues with this car since 2000 that should have been recalled but were not. The MFD recall is a cluster F^&*K ( No pun intended ) because the techs for years have only been able to do exactly what they are doing now.. Just plug in, and follow the version coding procedure and it all works out okay..NOT!!!!!

I have been dealing with European companies for years on a very techical level an I will tell you this....

Outsourcing abroad is a bigger problem where products have been exported than you can imagine... The companies that house the engineering expertise for these things are not even MB employees... So, where do you go when there is a 7 year recall?? Hmmm.. no where..

By the way... Dr.Z and those folks were wiped off the map earlier this year.. So their tenure has been over.. I've been watching to see where mercedes was going to go next.... we'll see.. but I think the days of yesteryear are long gone.
I always appreciate your posts!!! Yes, I have heard tale that for a time Daimler had no quality control oversite in place for it's suppliers. You almost get the sense that some guy in Austria was forming the plastic instrument cluster parts in an easy bake oven, and soldering the electrical components with a heated 10d nail in his basement!

As for the future, since the divestiture MB stock is up and profit margin per vehicle is the envy of BMW, go figure.