S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Awww...hell naw!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430, 2002 Range Rover HSE 1985 BMW 535 (Sold), 99 BMW 530 (R.I.P), 98 Mazda Millenia (R.I.P)
Awww...hell naw!!

Folks, I need some help here. My rotors had to be replaced, so I took the car to NTB, and had the rotors and pads replaced. I went to pick the car up today and saw that I had 3 malfunctions (I had none when I dropped the car off).
1: BAS (Brake Assist), the ABS light is now on.
2: The Airmatic/visit workshop malfunction.
3: Electronic Stability malfunction.

The folks at NTB say they'll pay for anything that may have caused these malfunctions, but now I have to take the car to the stealer.

I also noticed that the steering wheel is stifer than it was before I dropped the car off.

Can getting the rotors replaced activate any one of these malfunctions?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the BAS/ESP lights try turning the steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out. However. this typically remedies this situation if the battery has been disconnected or weak. Worth a Try.

Also, could be a damaged/disconnected wheel sensor

As for the AirMatic, if I remember correctly, if you have leaking fronts struts and put the car on a lift and let the wheels hang it can exacerbate the leaking problem. Also they may have damaged a height/level sensor. See diagram

As for the stiffer steering, pray they did not lift car with the lift pads in the wrong place and bend something.
Attached Thumbnails Awww...hell naw!!-sensor.gif  

Last edited by rccmerc; 02-10-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
naijaman,

Just as you wouldn't take your car to a quick oil change shop where teenies who could care less screw with your car and put in who knows and how much of what, you need to take every bit as much care with other systems - especially brakes. rccmerc is right on the money with his advice as to potential problems. All of the items you mentioned have been discussed on these forums before, although in different places. And a dealer or qualified independent would have known about them as well.

If the leak problem rccmerc described regarding your airmatic warning light - one I have written up before - is what happened, it stemmed from a pre-existing leak in your airmatic system. What's worse, lowering the car without placing its weight partially on the wheels, then starting the engine and allowing the system to pressurize before placing full weight on them may have damaged it even more. Good luck getting NTB to pay for it.

For a recent post on that kind of leak, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...nt-struts.html - your '00 will have more concentric circles than shown, but you'll be able to see the cracks that cause the leaks, if that was the problem. If it was a sensor, you'll be fortunate.

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-10-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:05 PM

2000 S430, 2002 Range Rover HSE 1985 BMW 535 (Sold), 99 BMW 530 (R.I.P), 98 Mazda Millenia (R.I.P)
Thanks for the tips and insight. I'll try the wheel turning to see what happens, and wait to see what the stealer tells me about the airmatic issue.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Hmmm...ok, turned the wheel to the left and right as suggested, and the airmatic malfunction dropped off the list, now it's just the Brake Assist and Electronic Stability malfunctions left.
Off the the stealer....thanks again folks.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by naijaman
Hmmm...ok, turned the wheel to the left and right as suggested, and the airmatic malfunction dropped off the list, now it's just the Brake Assist and Electronic Stability malfunctions left.
lol the wheel left and right is supposed to take off the BAS/ESP light ROFL ROFL
Old 02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by naijaman
Maybe you should follow the entire steps for resetting after a disconnected battery as it sounds to me like they just disconnected the battery.....
simpley turning the wheel to the right is not the entire steps..

Next time.. Don;t got o a tire shop for mechanic work.. Who do you think works at those places? it certainly is not mr goodwrench!! 98% of their revenue is in tire and battery sales so you do the math.

that goes for most of these franchise shops...IF you care to screw up a nice car.. leave it with those guys unattended...
Old 02-11-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by my06clk
Maybe you should follow the entire steps for resetting after a disconnected battery as it sounds to me like they just disconnected the battery.....
simpley turning the wheel to the right is not the entire steps..

Next time.. Don;t got o a tire shop for mechanic work.. Who do you think works at those places? it certainly is not mr goodwrench!! 98% of their revenue is in tire and battery sales so you do the math.

that goes for most of these franchise shops...IF you care to screw up a nice car.. leave it with those guys unattended...
Your brutal, 06, They may have seen the instrument panel light up like a christmas tree after doing the work and panicked, and in a rush decided to disconnect the battery in hopes of resetting everything.

I agree with you on where you take it, but come to think of it, I have had a MB Dealer "f" things up. Always love it when I get dealer mechanic in training
Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by rccmerc
Your brutal, 06, They may have seen the instrument panel light up like a christmas tree after doing the work and panicked, and in a rush decided to disconnect the battery in hopes of resetting everything.

I agree with you on where you take it, but come to think of it, I have had a MB Dealer "f" things up. Always love it when I get dealer mechanic in training
Wasn't trying to be harsh, I had my cars jacked up by folks who didn't know what they were doing enough to know.. thats all.. Everything from windshield replacement to simple tire changes... And yes sometimes the dealer is just as guilty as the other shops on certain things..
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
u took the car to NTB? really?? you should better..