S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

found some rotors..need opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
I have ordered a pair of R1 cross drilled rotors for the rear, but I have returned them and put my stocks back on. The major difference between slotted and cross drilled is the fact that slotted cleans the surface constantly as more pressure is added. Also I'm sure everyone is familiar with you get what you pay for.
Scientifically some of this so called "cross drilled" rotors can be unsafe. Most companys start with a "blank disk" and drill the holes threw them to create the cross drilled look. Once metal is cooled and you drill holes through it you create microscopic cracks, which overtime and heavy usage manifest themselves into large cracks in the rotor. Thats why I stick with Brembo, they make their holes in their rotors in the molten process before it has a chance to completely cool. This reduces cracks, and makes the disks stronger.
If you don't believe me I can send u a bill of what it cost when you use those cheaper type of rotors and try to stop your car from 120+ and getting off an exit to a red light. (Somebody was looking out for me). Just something to keep in mind....if you want to know what happens when a rotor completely fractures under high speed, go to youtube. I'm pretty sure they have something interesting.