S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

New to forum, Own a S500...NEED ALOT OF PARTS :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
New to forum, Own a S500...NEED ALOT OF PARTS :)

hello everyone, after long searching I think I have found the forum for me and well the recent benz I just got a hold of...I have a 2000 S500 with AMG styling upgrades

Yes I am quite aware that these werent the "best" car to have, not only that I traded in my 99 LS400 for it, one of the most reliable cars you can have.

Anyways this is my first true benz, besides my go getters, I have had 3 Lexus, 2 Bimmers, and well now 1 benz

Kinda curious as to what the three pointed star is all about, after much reading sounds like its not all about reliability haha, but nonetheless curiosity won me over...I gotta say I get such a feeling of satisfaction everytime I get in this car...I think its just the architecture of the car, and the smooth lines that follow it throughout. The car is growing onto me pretty quick

Well anyways I am needing some help, I got a great deal on the car, pretty cheap. Got it from a friend, and I knew the car needed some TLC, mainly just a really good detail (not a really clean guy) but I also need to replace some parts

the previous owner recently took the car to local Benz dealer where the harmonic balancer and the speedometer were replaced, other than that all other recalls have been done and the car was inspected and given a clean bill of health other than a faulty gas cap ($180) to replace...OUCH!

but I am needing to source some parts for the car

I am a very DIY kind of guy, and I have been looking for the longest time for the appropriate forum where the members are the same. I think I have finally found the right one, all the others take like 2 days just to get someone to post on your thread

well anyway does anyone know where I can get the following parts?

I need

DCM (door control module) for front passenger door friend had the windows tinted and door doesnt have any power, after reading sounds like DCM is what is a gonner

Nav disk for midwest

Grey interior:

leather center console lid (worn)

leather steering wheel w/o bag (with/without wood) (My wood is cracked pretty good)

shift knob (burlwood) I believe

and a good set of floor mats

anyone recommend a good place I can get this at?? or anyone selling any of these parts?

Thanks guys for your time, looking forward to learning more about these cars.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Congrats on the car, and good luck living a normal life after you get to know all of us. myroadster.net, they have DECENT prices i think. Good luck and welcome
Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
You can also try the following for parts:

Potomac German Auto, http://mbpartsonline.com/

German Star, http://www.germanstar.net/

Forum sponsor Performance Auto Parts (especially for some of the things you mentioned - steering wheel, shift knob, wood parts, floor mats). Check "marketplace" at the top of the page.

Mercedes' own catalog, http://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/fmpc...rt=220&catid=9

http://oempartsdirect.com/

Those are just a few. Potomac German Auto is a superb used parts source, with several locations. Several of my friends who collect Benzes swear by them.

Regarding a nav disc, the '00 S500 made manufactured with 2 different nav systems. In November 1999 MB went from the "C" nav to "D" nav. You need to know what you have before you purchase discs. They are not interchangeable. See the string at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...questions.html - read it all, and follow the links.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-11-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM

S500
thanks for the responses guys, yea I always sign up for the appropriate forum, I am also a club lexus, e46fanatic, and bimmerworld member, forums are the best, but only as good as its members

this is my third mercedes forum I signed up for, and the other 2 well people seem like the dealer is the solution for everything.

Thanks for the links I will check those out, main thing I am trying to get a hold of is that dam DCM, everything else I can kind of fix up myself or am not in a hurry to repair, they are all just little things that bother me, as I am a pretty **** guy when it comes to cars

But I agree I will probably be on here like 24/7 for the next couple of weeks, especially tonight since I have tomorrow off

tonight I am going to install my new D2R bulbs that I orded as the ones that are in there now are heavily colorshifted and dont put out much light, so this should make quite an improvement.

I am also in the process in making a deal for a set of 18" AMG 5 spoke wheels, the car has on it now I 19" I think AMG "Style" wheels but they are pretty beat up and also need new rubbers, these 18's are in much better shape. dont get me wrong tho a whole new set of wheels are on my list of things to buy as soon as all the snow is gone.

But I will s tart tearing into the car soon, giving it a very nice tune up.

also one other thing my cars MANF. Date is 10/99 which If I recall correctly means I have D-Type Navigation

Thanks again guys for your time and comments, keep em commin hahaha
Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by donjuan45i
thanks for the responses guys, yea I always sign up for the appropriate forum, I am also a club lexus, e46fanatic, and bimmerworld member, forums are the best, but only as good as its members

Thanks again guys for your time and comments, keep em commin hahaha
I have an extra steering wheel and shift knob lying around, but they're charcoal color. Often go w/ grey. Let me take pix of them and post them.

I also have a set of latest Nav CD from mercedes (made later 2006/early 2007), I only need the CA disk. What state do you need ? Make me an offer.

For DCM, you might need to check and see if they're version code. I have the WIS at work, I will try to get the instruction for you & post here.

For any Mercedes part, call (323) 221-3126, they're the largest BMW & Benz junk yard in Los Angeles, lot of late model car (W220/211). Price is much more reasonable than Potomac car part.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 AM

S500
well my original shift knob is wood, and so is my steering wheel, but the steering wheel needs replaced way more, so pics would be great

I live in Iowa so midwest and travel to texas alot so those disks would be the ones i would be mostly interested in.

i saved those numbers in my phone I will give em a call tomorrow.

coming from a lexus this is all new to me, how do I check to see what code or version they are? havent quite gotten to know too much about the DCM or any of the control modules for that matter

Thanks Zam for all your help...Really appreciate it man
Old 03-11-2008, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL

also one other thing my cars MANF. Date is 10/99 which If I recall correctly means I have D-Type Navigation
Better check it with the procedure given in one of the links I sent you to. The changeover was, as I said, November '99 - not 10/99. Unless your system was replaced somewhere along the line, you probably have a "C" nav unit.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 PM

S500
Originally Posted by zam2000
I have an extra steering wheel and shift knob lying around, but they're charcoal color. Often go w/ grey. Let me take pix of them and post them.

I also have a set of latest Nav CD from mercedes (made later 2006/early 2007), I only need the CA disk. What state do you need ? Make me an offer.

For DCM, you might need to check and see if they're version code. I have the WIS at work, I will try to get the instruction for you & post here.

For any Mercedes part, call (323) 221-3126, they're the largest BMW & Benz junk yard in Los Angeles, lot of late model car (W220/211). Price is much more reasonable than Potomac car part.

alright well thanks for the number seems like they will more than likely have the part.

but I called that number and they said they have it, but he didnt even know which side I was talking about I just said "door control module" and 2000 s500 and he said yea, so I asked him do you need to know the side and he placed me on hold, then asked me for part number.

well I havent taken out the DCM, anyone know where it is located, since tinting the windows would effect it I would think that it is in the door panel correct? if so anyone with instructions on how to take this off?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

alright well thanks for the number seems like they will more than likely have the part.

but I called that number and they said they have it, but he didnt even know which side I was talking about I just said "door control module" and 2000 s500 and he said yea, so I asked him do you need to know the side and he placed me on hold, then asked me for part number.

well I havent taken out the DCM, anyone know where it is located, since tinting the windows would effect it I would think that it is in the door panel correct? if so anyone with instructions on how to take this off?
Here's the instruction. You don't need to remove the door panel, just the top part (the part that cover the DCM is enough). To remove the wood panel, just get a plastic wedge and ply it out, be gentle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W220_Door_panel.pdf (527.4 KB, 211 views)
File Type: pdf
W220_DCM.pdf (38.4 KB, 247 views)
Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 PM

S500
AWESOME thanks ZAM exactly what I was needing. I will take the DCM off tomorrow and give that yard a call back with the P/N.

also I bought a set of 18" AMG wheels today. Ill see if I can find a pic of them. They are 5 Spoke, im pretty sure they are OEM too. I have to go and pick them up tomorrow. I only paid like $250 bucks for them and they have like 90% falken tires on em. I think It was a pretty good deal. the little shop didnt want much for them as they mainly sell trucks and well dont know alot of people with mercedes, if that that are looking for wheels.

I mainly got them for the tires tho as the tire and wheels that are on the car now dont have much life left in them, well at least the pirelli's dont. And like I said I plan to put a nice set of 19's or 20's later this spring, as soon as I get the car in top shape.

anyone know if I can use the same lugs from the wheels I have now on the AMG's?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:06 AM

S500
wheels I bought look exactly like these...you guys think they will fit? will I need spacers?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 PM

S500
hey so I used those WIS instructions you gave me and I got that small panel off...so lemme make sure I am just understanding this correctly. the DCM is the actual unit with all the buttons on it???how do i know which is the part number? it has two on it

one is 220 821 9851

the other is 03 46 3006

pretty easy I dont think I broke anything too...thanks again for those instructions...now one last thing is say I buy this DCM, it is then just plug and play?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 AM

S500
to the top, anyone confirm if this unit with the buttons is in fact the DCM? would like to order part tomorrow. ALso can anyone also tell me if all S500's came with heated and ventilated seats?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

S
to the top, anyone confirm if this unit with the buttons is in fact the DCM? would like to order part tomorrow. ALso can anyone also tell me if all S500's came with heated and ventilated seats?
Mine does 2002 S500, But I dont think all of them have it, because on Ebay I seen alot of them without it.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

S
wheels I bought look exactly like these...you guys think they will fit? will I need spacers?

Pic deosnt work
Old 03-13-2008, 03:52 PM

S500
well I ordered the dcm, lol those guys were crackin me up, they now told me the part was $50 more than when I called in the other day, I was like WHAT? then he said "price go up" haha, then he said "ok you come pick up now I give it to you" then I explained that I lived out of state, he said "oh you need shipping to state? THats MORE!" they didnt even know what iowa was, not too comforting of a feeling but oh well we will see how it goes. first shipping was like $50 then he put me on hold and gave me the total of $20 more for shipping ontop of the price I was originally told

quite an experience haha, but they were cool.

Also the guy just asked me for my card number no expiration date, or security number, will he still be able to charge my card?? I think these guys are used to parts pick up rather than order and shipping.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Same experience here, but man, they have lot late model Mercedes/BMW

When I first bought my car, my front seat belt tensioner work intermittently (release/retract not smooth). Dealer asked $800 for part (yep, very expensive). I called them, the guy said $100. Stopped by the place, younger brother quote $90. Told them that all I have is $70 in cash, ask to pay by credit card. The guy rather took $70. The guy gave me wrong part though (for 2000-2002, different from 2003-on), came back and they gave me corrected one, no question asked.

Couple middle eastern brothers are running the place, cash is their preferred way. They're really cool & funny though. If you could stop by the shop, you would be able to have killing deal, especially if you pay in cash.

I'm sure they will figure out a way to charge your card.

well I ordered the dcm, lol those guys were crackin me up, they now told me the part was $50 more than when I called in the other day, I was like WHAT? then he said "price go up" haha, then he said "ok you come pick up now I give it to you" then I explained that I lived out of state, he said "oh you need shipping to state? THats MORE!" they didnt even know what iowa was, not too comforting of a feeling but oh well we will see how it goes. first shipping was like $50 then he put me on hold and gave me the total of $20 more for shipping ontop of the price I was originally told

quite an experience haha, but they were cool.

Also the guy just asked me for my card number no expiration date, or security number, will he still be able to charge my card?? I think these guys are used to parts pick up rather than order and shipping.

Last edited by zam2000; 03-13-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 PM

S500
yea I couldnt quite tell what nationality they were from, cool guys tho. they actually called me back for my expiration date haha. I wished i could go down there I would probably live there for a few days. cant wait to get that door working. I have tomorrow off so i will get those wheels on.

The tires on the rims are 245/40/18 after some research I think I have found out that they are from a CLK, is it ok if I put the wheels on like this?? or will it mess something up in the car? I called a friend who works at a custom wheel shop who said that he would trade me my 245/40's for a set of 245/45 but that his tires werent in as good as shape he estimated them at like 70% tread and mine are like at least 90%

what do you guys think?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM

S500
alright well I got the part in today, packaged nicely went to install it and nothing? still no power to my door...looked over the fuse diagram to the car and there is no fuse that relays the power to the door so I doubt it is a fuse.

Im just puzzled, did they send me another bad DCM??? or is there possibly something else that could be the culprit?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM

S500
bump anyone?