Air filter & wheel locks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 S500 AMG package, 2023 GLE 450, AMG package
Air filter & wheel locks

Hi everyone,
I just got a 2006 S500 Sport with AMG wheels. This is my first Mercedes. Is the OEM air filter some kind of paper type? I look up at some online stores and see that they have both a flat rectangular type and also a round/can type? Which one is the correct one? Can I use those washable K&Ns for the car? Also, intructions to replace the filter too. Where can I buy some wheel locks for the car? I went by some local auto part stores to check but none of them carry anything for my car. Some guys there told me that the car uses "bolts" instead of nut lugs? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:22 PM

2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Welcome to the forum. The OEM filter is paper and is rectangular, I use the reusable K&N filters in my 500. Many will tell you there is a slight performance advantage using K&N. Others may tell you the oil from using the filters, has destroyed their MAF sensor. I am on the performance side you should notice a little better pulling using K&N. Your S500 uses two filters, both are indentical. To get to the filters remove the smaller plastic part that is close to the bumper (no tools require pulls up) once that piece is off the larger plastic cover over the engine houses the air filters. That piece also pulls off, be careful with both parts not to pull to hard and break. Once the large piece is off you will need a Torx type screw driver to replace the filters. Once you have removed you will see how easy it is to repeat.

Yes the S500 does use bolts that tap into the rotors of the car. I have AMG wheels too I don't use wheel locks, however my car lives inside all the time. You have a wonderful car, you should be able to get the K&N on line or many auto parts stores can order for you. There are other performance air filters too that some forum members can tell you about as well. One that comes to mind is called the Green filter, you might check that one out. Have fun!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
Originally Posted by tn52
Hi everyone,
I just got a 2006 S500 Sport with AMG wheels. This is my first Mercedes. Is the OEM air filter some kind of paper type? I look up at some online stores and see that they have both a flat rectangular type and also a round/can type? Which one is the correct one? Can I use those washable K&Ns for the car? Also, intructions to replace the filter too. Where can I buy some wheel locks for the car? I went by some local auto part stores to check but none of them carry anything for my car. Some guys there told me that the car uses "bolts" instead of nut lugs? Thanks for your help!
Congrats tn52.thats quite a car for your first benz.Id really advise you to get the "star maintanance library".it is a dvd that you can get from the dealer for around $100 and it will answer any service related question you can imagine.on cars like these you absolutely dont want to guess or just figuer it out as you take it apart.any error will only cost $!!!.not to say that you wont do as well or better than the dealer as long as you have the right tech info to guide you. bones
Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 AM

2006 S500 AMG package, 2023 GLE 450, AMG package
Thanks srknutson & ah1w for your help. I will buy that maintenance dvd the next time at the dealer because I love to do minor car things myself. In the meantime, I need more instructions to get to the air filters. So far, I can remove the 2 plastic air intake tubes and the center front cover (the one that have the oil cap hole). What do I do next? which way should I pull to get the (next) big cover/s off? Is there more clips or bolts somewhere? The plastic cover holds on pretty tight and firm & I am afraid that I will break it if I pull the wrong way. I can see the (2) paper filters from the intake holes below. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
on my 2003 S-500

after you get that first facia off that surrounds the oil filter housing you will see two clips secured by rubber grommets on the front left and right,just pull up at those locations and then pull up on the back of the housing.the air box horn has a slip fit "O" ring that intigrates it to the intake manifold.I do recommend staying with the stock paper elements,also dont take it apart just to inspect them,they are huge filters and last 3-5 years unless you are in really dusty environments.if you open them up then have replacements ready to go in.i know it's hard not to want to pamper the car but chances are the service records will reflect the last air filter change and it may not be due.these cars are magnificent machines and a joy to wrench on.have fun,be cautious and patient.bones

Last edited by AH1W-COBRA; 03-17-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2008, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by tn52
Hi everyone,
Where can I buy some wheel locks for the car? I went by some local auto part stores to check but none of them carry anything for my car. Some guys there told me that the car uses "bolts" instead of nut lugs? Thanks for your help!
I wouldn't worry about wheel locks if you have stock wheels.. Nobody wants them..LOL they can only be sold to another benz owner so they are hard to fence... Stop worrying....

Factory wheels don't accommodate locks very well.. Unless you get them from the dealer.. When you change to after market wheels, its a different story.. Locks are easy to find.