S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Ignition Modules Needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 s600
Ignition Modules Needed!

I brought my 2001 S600 to the dealer because check engine light came on and car had no power. They told me that the engine was misfiring and that I need two ignition modules, 24 spark plugs, and a gasket. There estimate was $1200 for each module, $400 for spark plugs, gasket was I think $80 and labor. The total is $3800. Can anybody tell me where I can get brand new modules for less and if this price is reasonable for the work that they are doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..Paul W.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by twinz
I brought my 2001 S600 to the dealer because check engine light came on and car had no power. They told me that the engine was misfiring and that I need two ignition modules, 24 spark plugs, and a gasket. There estimate was $1200 for each module, $400 for spark plugs, gasket was I think $80 and labor. The total is $3800. Can anybody tell me where I can get brand new modules for less and if this price is reasonable for the work that they are doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..Paul W.
Go get another opinion...There is a slim chance that you fried 2 modules at the same time... and certainly not all new plugs as a result. This is a gross over estimate for what you may really need... so I'd go to someone else..
Old 03-18-2008, 02:56 AM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
How many miles on the car? How many misfire codes? Which cylinders? and a gasket for what?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 AM

01 s600
around 75000 miles. There were a few misfires but didnt remember which ones. He said one was fried and it is a good idea to replace the other. Let me know what you guys think. thanks again
Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
around 75000 miles. There were a few misfires but didnt remember which ones. He said one was fried and it is a good idea to replace the other. Let me know what you guys think. thanks again
The ignition coil packs on early V12s are a known problem. If they haven't been replaced yet the chances are close to 100% that they need replacing. Plugs were supposed to be replaced at 60,000. If you do go elsewhere for the coil packs (which I'd be very cautious doing) make sure they're the updated kind that fix the original problem.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 PM

01 s600
Thank you for the replies everyone. I never had the plugs changed and he said they are all black. I am just going to bite the bullet and have the dealership do the job. Something like this I guess I think is best that the dealer does. Thanks again for all the advice..Paul W.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:44 PM

2011 C 300 4-Matic
Also they have a problem with o2 sensors causing misfires. If its misfiring on 3 cylinders in a row and only those 3, its a good chance the o2 sensor for those 3 cylinders is faulty. But if they checked it out, its likely they are right about the coils cause they are known to have issues.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 PM

01 s600
So I went to pick up my car today after a week of mercedes having it to do the job(new ignition modules, spark plugs, gaskets, MAF,etc..). They charged me just over $4000. So I pull out of the parking lot and the check engine light came on and the same thing happened. I brought it back to benz and they hooked it up to the computer and they said the car had misfired again in two spots. I WENT NUTS!!!! How could this be if we just put new modules in, plugs, and all that good stuff. Any info on what you think may have caused this please let me know. Needless to say, benz still has my car until they fix the problem. UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
So I went to pick up my car today after a week of mercedes having it to do the job(new ignition modules, spark plugs, gaskets, MAF,etc..). They charged me just over $4000. So I pull out of the parking lot and the check engine light came on and the same thing happened. I brought it back to benz and they hooked it up to the computer and they said the car had misfired again in two spots. I WENT NUTS!!!! How could this be if we just put new modules in, plugs, and all that good stuff. Any info on what you think may have caused this please let me know. Needless to say, benz still has my car until they fix the problem. UNBELIEVABLE!!!
sounds like they repaired everything it could have possibly been at your expense...but missed the main issue...i wouldnt be very happy right now...
Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM

01 s600
I know..what do you think I should do. Obviously what ever was wrong in the first place was not fixed. I know the ignition modules are bad on these things from the factory so I decided to replace both of them just because of that issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:07 AM

2011 C 300 4-Matic
see my post above about 02 sensors.

I know..what do you think I should do. Obviously what ever was wrong in the first place was not fixed. I know the ignition modules are bad on these things from the factory so I decided to replace both of them just because of that issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-29-2008, 02:56 AM

210 E 55, 220 S 600
I am having the exact same problem right now on my 01 600...mine is at the independant shop. My mechanic did the same damn thing, but I did some search on the other benz forum and found that many 600 has had the same problem...ususally it is the coil packs, but in some cases, as was mine, the camshaft sensor was fouled up and was spewing oil right into the control module, causing the wiring hirness to be totally soaked in oil, causing carbon buildup and causing misfire....

So, have them check the control module to see if it is filled with oil, my bet is that it is....espeically since you stated that the plugs were all black. if this is the case, you will need to change the control module (about $900 for the part), will need to change one (which ever one is fouled up) of the coil packs (about $1500). Usaually the misfire only occurs in one bank of cylinder, proof that only one coil pack needs to be replaced. Good luck....I am ditching my 600 after I get it back. Nice car, but too damn expensive to upkeep. going back to BMW....