Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 and 550+ HP GTO
Instrument Panel Lighting

Hello there,

When I try to adjust the instrument panel brightness using the pop out control know (day or night), nothing happens. Any idea why this is? Just that knob is broken, or is there a secret I don't know? I know you can't adjust it in daylight because it does it automatically, but at night it should work right? Just curious. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Also, if I remember correctly, the S won't freewheel at low speeds (i.e. coast, like in a parking garage) because the brake system keeps the pads nearly or in touch with the rotors at all times to improve brake response. Is that correct? This S will barely even roll down hill - feel almost like the p-brake is on but it's not.

Thank again all....

LR
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Magnified
Hello there,

When I try to adjust the instrument panel brightness using the pop out control know (day or night), nothing happens. Any idea why this is? Just that knob is broken, or is there a secret I don't know? I know you can't adjust it in daylight because it does it automatically, but at night it should work right? Just curious. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Also, if I remember correctly, the S won't freewheel at low speeds (i.e. coast, like in a parking garage) because the brake system keeps the pads nearly or in touch with the rotors at all times to improve brake response. Is that correct? This S will barely even roll down hill - feel almost like the p-brake is on but it's not.

Thank again all....

LR
The light, I'm not sure unless you are not holding it one direction long enough..
Roll down hill? Oh yes it will.... If your car can't coast something is out of whack somewhere.. your E brake adjusted out too far? who knows..But the brake system keeping the pads in touch with the rotors does not prevent free wheeling.. all cars with disc brakes do that.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you trying to change this during daylight hours? If so then you wont see any difference. See that little sensor, it detects how much light is coming in and adjusts the brightness. If at night, you should be able to notice a difference.
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Panel Lighting-sensor.jpg  
Old 04-23-2008, 06:10 PM

S430, SL500
kenstudios; how do you get the display to show your speed like that?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Push Down Arrow on the Steering Wheel on the first screen, the miles overall screen.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
block the wheels and jack one wheel at a time

Originally Posted by Magnified
Hello there,

Thank again all....

LR
you gotta fix that,front wheels should rotate freely,with just the slightest hint of pad contact.jack one at a time and check.rear wheels should be the same with the exception of differential drag from the limited slip diff.if you feel drag/rubbing/scuffing and can hear it then you have brake problems.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Almost a Member!

01 S500, 02 Volvo C70, 96 Royalstar
Originally Posted by Jezza
kenstudios; how do you get the display to show your speed like that?
after scrolling to the menu push the gas pedal to the floor to get it to exactly read 130 mph.

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM

S430, SL500
I dont think that feature is on my car, is this maybe an american feature? tested it today and that speed readout is no-where to be found. From the mileage screen i only get oil level and miles to service

(and surely pushing the pedal to the floor it would show rather more than 130mph, tomtom and the speedo seem to think mine will do about 162-3 before it wont climb any higher )

Last edited by Jezza; 04-25-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jezza
I dont think that feature is on my car, is this maybe an american feature? tested it today and that speed readout is no-where to be found. From the mileage screen i only get oil level and miles to service

(and surely pushing the pedal to the floor it would show rather more than 130mph, tomtom and the speedo seem to think mine will do about 162-3 before it wont climb any higher )
This feature is available after 04 but if you have an older W220 with an updated cluster, you get that feature.