S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Halogen to Xenon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320
Halogen to Xenon

First, hello, this is my first post on this forum =)

I know there is many thread about it on the forum but i didnt find any info about this (or maybe i didnt searched well)

I have a question about the conversion from halogen to xenon headlight on my W220 S320. Car is from year 2000 with full halogen.

For now, i have an HID kit in my car, it look good, but i would like to Put the 2005+ headlight

You can see it here :

http://www.prostreetlighting.com/pro...eadlights.html

Or here, on Ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-05...spagenameZWDVW

Ok so i know they are not from Mercedes or even Bosch, but is it any good or is it just simple cr¤p ?

And it wil fit in my s320 ? cause i know in USA you got lot of S430, 500 and 600, but mine is a 320, is it different headlight ?

I dont mind if its not BI-Xenon, maybe i could put a Bosch Bi-Xenon later in it.

I have read on this forum that lot of people buy headlight on ebay, then when they got it, they just cant put it in the car cause its not the same headlight, and thats why i ask before.

Any info, suggestion ?

Thanks by advance
Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum.

There is a TON of information on this. Unfortunately, it is not written up as a single, coherent "How-To" guide covering all situations - and there are several situations. It will help you if you define just which one you're in, because the information on one doesn't necessarily carry over to another.

If your '00 headlights were standard they were halogen.

If you had HID, then you may have had Xenon low beams and halogen high beams. At least, the U.S. versions did.

There are Xenon upgrades, and Bi-Xenon upgrades. Some cars will not be able to use the auto-leveling feature of the Bi-Xenons, and those lights must be manually aimed.

You can start with http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...n-upgrade.html - but mainly to give you some contributors' names to use with other search terms. The link is very good if it fits your situation, but it may not.

Some additional names are Zam2000 and Vader55. Be sure to check BenzWorld and MBWorld.

Good luck!

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-15-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM

S320
Thanks for your reply Sky.

My car actualy have full Halogen headlight.
i putted HID myself inside, you know thoses HID kit that you can have for 100$/€.

So my goal is to have the crystal glass of the 2005 S-Class, with Xenon, or BI-Xenon (if possible).

The prob i have is, i dont know if the headlight that i have found on internet will fit in my car, i mean, for the size of them, since i have a S320 and not a 430,500,600, i cant remember where i have read that the s430/500/600 etc are a lil bit bigger and i will have to cut my front bumper (and i dont want to) to fit them in the car? True or false i dont know.

I know i will probably have to modify the wireing and probably go to an official MB to change some stuff in the command but thats not a prob.

I asked an official MB dealer how much it is to change my Halogen headlight to the BI-Xenon's one, and he told me it was about 3-4k € which is alot !

The headlight for sale on internet are cheaper and thats why im interested in it

Anyway, thanks for the link, but once again, the modification in that link was made on a S430. I know its the smaller model in USA but here in Europe, we got load of S320
Old 05-16-2008, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
One good way to check the fit between the short wheelbase and the long wheelbase W220s is to check the OE part numbers for (same type) headlights between the short and the long. If they are the same, you're in good shape.

I believe they are the same size units - but if the part numbers for the same type of headlights match, you can be certain. Dealer parts guy should be able to help.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM

MB W221 S350
hello i am new too, i bought car from usa and there was only halogen, i bought hid lamps (only with low beam hid not bi-xenon), there were no bulbs so i bought d2s instead of d2r so i will buy theese later (or maybe i'll cut that interstice and it will fit), as i was checking the only the drivers side works and other side is blinking sometimes, i changed ballasts\bulbs - the same, it means that this is computer or other problem, and when i put halogen lamp everything is ok... is it possible to reprogram something or to put some parts in to the line which show to the computer that the lamp is in the place???
other quastion is - there is missing some holders which hold bulb to the lamp, (the high voltage connector (red) is in the place)
can you send me photo of that holder because i dont know how it must look so i dont know what to search in the shops.

Last edited by NISMAS; 08-01-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 PM

Mercedes W220 S320
ive got exactly the same car as u buddy and i wanna do exactly the same thing as u with the lamps. could u please post some fotos of ur ride. thanx
Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 PM

MB W221 S350
everything is completed, the "xenon mode on" by diagnostics, bought the bulb the holders which were missing, the d2s lams were made to fit into d2r socket. the lightning is great and do not make any harm to other drivers (i thought it will be not very good if the bulb will not have ceramic paint on it like d2r but it is ok).
i knew few things - like cars height adjustment so i will change my wheels to 20" and then will go to diagnostics again and lower the car to very low height.
we saw one more thing that rear seat belt srs is fired off so i will need to change the capsule or something, maybe anybody has done this? i will do it by my self so photos will be very useful.
one more thing there were airmatic error in the past so i was looking and saw that the tops of front shock absorbers has some small splits and when pressing the car there is some air sound coming from that splits so i put some glue but the sound is coming somewhere beside the glue and in the diagnostics we saw that the error is for the bad calibration.. we calibrated them and the error gone, maybe i put glue there for no reason, maybe the sound must come???
Old 08-08-2008, 02:58 AM

S320
Originally Posted by NISMAS
everything is completed, the "xenon mode on" by diagnostics, bought the bulb the holders which were missing, the d2s lams were made to fit into d2r socket. the lightning is great and do not make any harm to other drivers (i thought it will be not very good if the bulb will not have ceramic paint on it like d2r but it is ok).
i knew few things - like cars height adjustment so i will change my wheels to 20" and then will go to diagnostics again and lower the car to very low height.
we saw one more thing that rear seat belt srs is fired off so i will need to change the capsule or something, maybe anybody has done this? i will do it by my self so photos will be very useful.
one more thing there were airmatic error in the past so i was looking and saw that the tops of front shock absorbers has some small splits and when pressing the car there is some air sound coming from that splits so i put some glue but the sound is coming somewhere beside the glue and in the diagnostics we saw that the error is for the bad calibration.. we calibrated them and the error gone, maybe i put glue there for no reason, maybe the sound must come???
ANy pics of the car ? did you upgraded the headlight or just putted an HID kit in it ?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:35 AM

MB W221 S350
i changed whole halogen headlamp to original xenon headlamp. i will put pictures when i will take them from mobile phone.