Text Message being read in German!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S Class Mercedes 2004
Text Message being read in German!

Hi All

This is my first post and I really do need help, my S Class s320cdi 2004 (W220) has for the last 2 years been reading the text messages from the mercedes Nokia phone on the comand system in a strong german accent and then when it comes to numbers it reads them in German, I have taken it to my local Mercedes Dealer and they say they cannot resolve this!!. Does anyone else have this problem? know how to resolve it? know a thread with more information? any information would be greatly appreciated as I am going back to the Mercedes Dealer this morning to collect my vehicle.

So far Mercedes have said that this feature should not be on this vehicle and is only intended for the German market, but the faclity is explained in the owners manual that came with the car!!

Really do need some help as feel like

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:52 AM

S Class Mercedes 2004
Sorry forgot to add, I am in the UK and the vehicle is a UK vehicle (purchased from mercedes Dealer in the UK)
Old 05-24-2008, 03:50 AM

S Class Mercedes 2004
Hi anyone about with any information??
Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Try a different dealer.

They should be able to reprogram the car to US specs.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:03 AM

S Class Mercedes 2004
Thank you,

Could you tell me when it has the US version will it read the text messages in english (albeit with an american accent?) and particularly the numbers in english?.

I have also now been informed by Mercedes UK that this feature (reading text) is not available on UK models even though it is clearly marked in the command instruction manual!

Please help!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S550 4Matic; 06 S500 4Matic (totaled); 1991 190 E 2.6 (Sold); 2020 C Class Wagon
Was is die problema?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Needing Help!
Thank you,

Could you tell me when it has the US version will it read the text messages in english (albeit with an american accent?) and particularly the numbers in english?.

I have also now been informed by Mercedes UK that this feature (reading text) is not available on UK models even though it is clearly marked in the command instruction manual!

Please help!
I cannot answer your question - but assuming you have the equipment being addressed by the manual, I would ask the dealer why the U.K. manual for a U.K. car would detail the capability when it doesn't exist? It boggles the mind. Stay after them - have them take the question to your area representative.

I used to get the same crap form a dealer here in the U.S. - the explanation was "It's an option that's not on your car" or "That feature came out in the next model year" - when it was explained in my manual for my model year. In each and every case, the dealer was wrong. I found that out by bypassing the service advisor and going straight to the technician.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:02 AM

S Class Mercedes 2004
Have tried contacting Mercedes UK and they have done their best to fob me off for over two years, saying that this feature is not available on the UK Spec and that even though it does state it in the manual, the manual covers not only UK vehicle but other country vehicles and is not specific to the S Class.

I have explained that both the command and mercedes phone are items that are factory fitted and that both work as per the manual and the system does read the text message as per the manual, but it is something that UK customer ( and possibly many other) will not be able to comprehend due to the strong accent and the numbers being in german.

They are saying that it is not a fault but it is something that is not even available on the UK spec!! What do I do?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 AM

S-500
Hi Needing Help,

I found your post by chance as I was trying to find a solution to another problem but thought I'd reply to you.

I bought my S-500 in the UK last year and queried the same German language problem with my local MB dealer. They queried it with the technical department in Germany but the reply was they'd never heard of it before and they put it down to one of those things about which they can do nothing! Sorry if this isn't helpful but I don't think you're going to get anywhere. I suspect the reason it's not well known here is most S drivers in the UK don't fully "explore" their cars whereas from the sound of it, you're like me and want to know everything the car can and can't do so you can understand it better in order to benefit from the full experience

Meanwhile, if you happen to stumble across anyone else with a petrol S-500 which loses all power inexplicably for a nanosecond but only from rest or at low speed, only within the first 15 minutes of starting and only during winter months, I'd love to know why as it's causing me huge concern. My dealer is incredibly helpful but even they've been left scratching their heads and I haven't been able to find anyone else with a similar problem.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 PM

W220
learn german maybe ?