Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2002 | 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
W221 S-Class Pictures!

anyone car to translate this German about the next S-Class:

"Die neue S-Klasse wird wuchtiger und eleganter als die aktuelle. Ob sie allerdings so kommen wird wie auf den unten gezeigten Computerretuschen ist fraglich. Eins ist jedoch klar: Sie wird wieder sehr viel Innovationen an Bord haben. Sie soll in der passiven Sicherheit neue Maßstäbe setzen und das aufgrund der ausfederenden Motorhaube im Crash auch für Fußgänger. Diese schlagen dann nicht mehr mit dem Kopf auf den Motorblock, sondern werden von der Motorhaube abgefedert. Aber die S-Klasse soll sich weiter dem DC-Ziel "Unfallfreies Fahren" nähern. Als erstes Auto der Welt wird in der S-Klasse, die im Herbst 2005 debütiert, eine "steer-by-wire" Lenkung eingebaut. Hier gibt es dann keine Lenkstange, sondern die Lenkbefehle werden per "Wire" also Kabel an einen Computer übermittel, der dann mit einem Elektromotor lenkt. Gekoppelt mit ESP und weiteren Sicherheitsfeatures soll die S-Klasse dann später Hindernissen selbstständig ausweichen können. Diese steer-by-wire Lenkung wird wahrscheinlich jedoch nicht direkt ab Serienstart angeboten (aufgrund des Genehmigungsverfahren des Gesetzgebers). Die Airmatic und ABC werden weiter verbessert.
Neu sind auch die V6- und V8 Benziner, die wieder 4 Ventile pro Zylinder haben. Der 6 Zylinder wird etwa 3 Liter Hubraum haben und der V8 ca. 4 Liter. Dank einer Turboaufladung werden sie jedoch über mehr Leistung als die aktuellen Modelle verfügen, jedoch bei geringerem Verbrauch. Später werden diese Triebwerke auf Benzindirekteinspritzung umgestell. Der V12 wird erstmal aus dem aktuellen S 600 übernommen. Auch ein neues Automatikgetriebe mit 6-Fahrstufen wird in der S-Klasse (W221) zu finden sein.
Nachts können sich die S-Klasse Fahrer auf ein Infrarot Nachtsichtgerät freuen, dass auch durch Nebelbänke schauen kann. Das neue Comand System kann künfigt über Lenkrad und Spracheingabe bedient werden. Es ist mit mehreren schnurzlosen Autotelefonen verbunden. Ein weiteres Highlight ist das Floating Car Data Modul. Hier kommunizieren die S-Klassen (später kommen natürlich auch andere Typen dazu) untereinander und warnen sich gegenseitig vor Gefahren. Erkennt ASR das sehr viel Schlupf an den Räder ist, wird daraus eine Glatteiswarnung an folgende S-Klasse ausgeben!
Neu in der S-Klasse ist dann auch der 12 Volt Startergenerator der direkt an der Kurbelwelle angebracht ist. Somit wird auf den üblichen Anlasser verzichtet und an jeder Ampel stellt sich der Motor automatisch ab. Mittels eines Kältespeicher muss aber nicht auf einen gut klimatisierenten Innenraum an der Ampel verzichtet werden."

Old 12-11-2002 | 06:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

"the new s-class becomes more wuchtiger and more elegant than the current. Whether she will come however in such a way as on the computer retouchings shown down is questionable. One are however clear: It will on board have again very much innovations. It is in passive security new yardsticks to set and due to release-end the hood in the Crash also for pedestrians. These strike then no more with the head on the engine mount, but by the hood are cushioned. But the s-class is to approach the far DC goal "accident-free driving". As the first car of the world in the s-class, which debuetiert in the autumn 2005, a "steer by wire" steering element is built. Here there is then no steering bar, but the guidance instructions become by "Wire" thus cables to a computer convey, which steers then with an electric motor. Coupled with ESP and further safety feature the s-class is to be able to evade then to late obstacles independently. This steer by wire steering element is probably however not offered directly starting from series start (due to licensing procedures of the legislator). The Airmatic and the ABC are continued to improve. New are also the V6 and V8 Benziner, which have again 4 valves per cylinder. The 6 cylinders litre capacity will have about 3 and the V8 approx.. 4 litres. Owing to a turbo-loading they will order however over more achievement than the current models, however with smaller consumption. These engines on gasoline direct injection become later umgestell. The V12 is taken over first times from current S 600. Also a new automatic transmission with 6-Fahrstufen will have to be found in the s-class (W221). At night drivers can look forward the s-class to an infrared night-vision device that also by nebula banks can look. The new Comand system can be served kuenfigt over steering wheel and phonetic input. It is connected with several schnurzlosen in-car telephones. A further highlight is the floating Car DATA module. Here the s-classes (naturally also different types come later to it) communicate among themselves and warn themselves mutually of dangers. If ASR recognizes that very much slip to wheels is, from it a ice warning will spend to the following s-class! In the s-class is new then also 12 V starter generator at the crankshaft is directly attached. Thus without the usual starter one does and at each traffic light turns off the engine automatically. By means of cooling memory does not have to be done however without one well to air-conditioning ducks interior at the traffic light."

thanks babelfish! lol

btw. i seriously doubt thats the new S cuz mercedes always talks about how the four headlamp is their design and stuff..
Old 12-11-2002 | 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you read the babelfish translation, then you would know that those pics are computer generated of what the next S class might look like. The site also has something new on the CLE.
Old 12-11-2002 | 07:11 PM

Man whoever did that CG photo needs to be dragged onto the street and shot.

I've seen some nasty CG photos, but this one takes the cake.

Damn idiot just molded some Mini headlights, added some RICER *** fog lights.

And to add insult to injury, they Chris Bangled the rear.

You know some idiot out there is going to think those pictures are REAL. Whatever.
Old 12-11-2002 | 07:22 PM

r
Originally posted by jl88
Man whoever did that CG photo needs to be dragged onto the street and shot.

I've seen some nasty CG photos, but this one takes the cake.

Damn idiot just molded some Mini headlights, added some RICER *** fog lights.

And to add insult to injury, they Chris Bangled the rear.

You know some idiot out there is going to think those pictures are REAL. Whatever.
my thoughts exactly
Old 12-11-2002 | 07:23 PM

Exclamation

I have to agree with jl88 because I am one that dreams of owning an S-class some day and if Mercedes-Benz if is going to cramp all of our style then they'll lose a lot of business if they lean toward something like that! I for one would not buy that car although knowing it's not the actual and I would hope they don't think of electric cars and down size them. That would really suck!!! Just my 2 cents!

DOMINIC
Old 12-11-2002 | 07:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by VroomVroom
If you read the babelfish translation, then you would know that those pics are computer generated of what the next S class might look like. The site also has something new on the CLE.
i know its computer generated but even u said..

might look like....

of course i know it probably won't be like that but even then.. i'm scared man! lol
Old 12-11-2002 | 08:05 PM

Mercedes S500 Sport
Seen a better one on MYSPY.com

I've seen a better CG image on MBSpy.com which offers a lot of hope for the fture S class design. The one on MBSpy.com is complete different and more in line with the current design.
Old 12-12-2002 | 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

1993 Toyota Camry
It looks great. Here is another. I don't know if you guys have seen these
Old 12-12-2002 | 03:04 PM
Almost a Member!

1993 Toyota Camry
And another
Old 12-12-2002 | 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Thanks Super Em, that rear shot looks similar to the the Maybach.
Old 12-12-2002 | 04:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

seems like a SL and a 7sereis mixed! weird with a hint of E-Class

while the front just looks like ****.. sorry! lol
Old 12-12-2002 | 05:36 PM

I remember reading a recent article in the Australian Mercedes Owners Magazine with a head Mercedes design chief.

He was very clear in saying that the "four headlight theme" was a concept that was here to stay for a long time as their are still a lot more possiblities left to explore.

Hence the front of the car will definately have a four headlight look to it.

Otherwise these simulations are very interesting to look at.

Last edited by Callaway; 12-13-2002 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2002 | 09:04 PM

i like the second pictures better, it looks more futuristic and maybached. I hope they go with that design, maybe altered a little though. I hope this can beat the current 7 series.
Old 12-12-2002 | 11:14 PM

These pics are modified from the 211 E-Class. I think the actual design will be far from these. It is still too early in the game to predict a design trend for the next S. One thing I am sure of, though, is that MB may be all too aware of the flop that the new BMW design has risked. They may go for evolution instead of revolution on this one. After all, the current design still is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. They may decide to work off that one for the next one as well, while throwing a little of the Maybach in the mix, which to me seems a sure thing.

Also I am excited about the new range of engines that are to be coming. Tubos seem to be present in many of them. MB seems to have adopted the technology quite well, to feel this confident. The greater efficiency does not hurt either.
Old 12-12-2002 | 11:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
it is still going to be a nice car, with a better rear end than the 7 series BMW
Old 12-13-2002 | 12:36 AM

autospies special report on 2005 s class, http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/SPECIAL_REPORT.pdf
Old 12-13-2002 | 03:59 AM

Mercedes needs to go back to making the S class a massive car. The W220 is way too streamlined and looks cheap compared to the W140. Giving this car a wider front and a taller stance will definitely add character and substance to the S class.

I seriously doubt that the new S will look like the last picture posted. They simply took the rear of the SLR and merged it with the current S class. If you notice, there is no balance between the top and bottom of the car. The bottom is massive and full while the roof line looks like it's missing something.

Last edited by internet_mafia; 12-13-2002 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2002 | 08:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by internet_mafia
Mercedes needs to go back to making the S class a massive car. The W220 is way too streamlined and looks cheap compared to the W140. Giving this car a wider front and a taller stance will definitely add character and substance to the S class.

I seriously doubt that the new S will look like the last picture posted. They simply took the rear of the SLR and merged it with the current S class. If you notice, there is no balance between the top and bottom of the car. The bottom is massive and full while the roof line looks like it's missing something.
I do agree with you that the S class should go back to being that big massive heavy looking car is was back in 98, but with new lines.
Old 12-13-2002 | 08:03 PM

Thumbs up

DITTO! I agree with the both of you completely. I myself believe and want the massive, tank, aggressive, eye-catching, intimidating W140 style back once again. You feel that car streaming down the road and it was ready to take on the world. It was for a fact better built and bulkier, which made it worth while to buy and keep. I only wish us as the consumers and enthusiasts could knock that into the DaimlerChrysler Corp. so it sinks in and it would be
Old 12-13-2002 | 08:07 PM

Arrow

Sorry for some reason my post was cut off. I must of hit the wrong key or something. But anyway, like I was saying so it would be a guaranty that a more agressive style S-class will come out. But that won't happen. I guess we'll have to make do with the current S-class and the pre-owned W140 S-class. That's okay though I'll by used when it's time.

DOMINIC
Old 12-13-2002 | 08:10 PM

2004 Maserati Coupe
MT Car of the Year

Originally posted by Super Em
It looks great. Here is another. I don't know if you guys have seen these
Wasn't this Motor Trend's Car of the Year?
Old 12-13-2002 | 10:43 PM

hehe funny

most complaints of the W140 was that it was TOO big and TOO unwieldly.

Most cars nowadays will have smoother lines, thus, having a more sleek and slender look. Boxy cars are so 90's
Old 12-13-2002 | 11:41 PM

Originally posted by jl88
hehe funny

most complaints of the W140 was that it was TOO big and TOO unwieldly.

Most cars nowadays will have smoother lines, thus, having a more sleek and slender look. Boxy cars are so 90's
Who said that it had to be boxy? We want it to be more identifiable. It's so hard to distinguish a c class from a s-class when they are far away, and that shouldn't be like that. I'm sorry, but if I paid $90k for a benze, it better not dare resemble a $35K model.

By adding width and height to the car, this will clearly make the s class stand out from the other cars on the road. The W140 never had that problem. Mercedes is no fool. They knew what they were doing when they designed that peice of sh*t. Lets see, trimming down the car and using sub-par materials only adds more profits in their pocket. Pretty soon, this business model will catch up with them.

"most complaints of the W140 was that it was TOO big and TOO unwieldly." -- Those people simply just can't drive. I'll show you how the drive a W140 like a porsche.

Last edited by internet_mafia; 12-13-2002 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2002 | 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
The new style is way more succesful,buyers like it better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W221 S-Class Pictures!