Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 s class from autospies

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/SPECIAL_REPORT.pdf
Old 12-13-2002, 01:48 AM

You just beat me to the post of the article!!

Yeah it looks great but it is a little too similiar to the current car.

I think MB are starting to get a little predictable with their styles (W210 very similiar from the front to the new W211).

Still heaps better than what BMW are trying to do!!
Old 12-13-2002, 02:26 AM

it looks kickass, im getting one for sure, cant wait til they come out
Old 12-13-2002, 03:47 AM

Good Read

This is both good and bad news.

Good News:
-Excellent design and implementation of bettter features
-More affordable
-Separates itself from the pack of 'wannabees'

Bad News:
-Shorter wheelbase --> more affordable --> S-class becomes EVEN LESS exclusive. There's already a ton of S classes on the road. I'd hate to see twice that amount.

Mercedes sure has changed in the last decade. They now have a car for every tax bracket and personality. With so many new styles to choose from, picking a model has never been so difficult.

I WANT ONE!
Old 12-13-2002, 07:39 PM

Question

I don't know what to say! It's stunning! Although <internet_mafia> I believe you misinterpreted what they say about the price part. They just simply stated that it will be more affordable than the "Maybach." That doesn't really reflect on the actual price of it or it's exclusiveness! The only thing I didn't quite understand is if the article said that the W221 S-class will have a automatic shifter at the steering wheel similar to the BMW 745. Can someone elaborate on that please? If they do that then does that mean there won't be an S55 AMG anymore, right? That column shifter and no AMG version would turn me against the S-class in the flash of a second regardless of it's great new looks and whatnot's! Get my drift? Is there anyone that feels as strongly about that as I do? Well otherwise it looks great and I'm sure it will sell better than the BMW 745Li.

DOMINIC
Old 12-13-2002, 08:24 PM

Can someone please post them here? For some reason I can't view the pictures.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Dominic
I don't know what to say! It's stunning! Although <internet_mafia> I believe you misinterpreted what they say about the price part. They just simply stated that it will be more affordable than the "Maybach." That doesn't really reflect on the actual price of it or it's exclusiveness! The only thing I didn't quite understand is if the article said that the W221 S-class will have a automatic shifter at the steering wheel similar to the BMW 745. Can someone elaborate on that please? If they do that then does that mean there won't be an S55 AMG anymore, right? That column shifter and no AMG version would turn me against the S-class in the flash of a second regardless of it's great new looks and whatnot's! Get my drift? Is there anyone that feels as strongly about that as I do? Well otherwise it looks great and I'm sure it will sell better than the BMW 745Li.

DOMINIC
I interpreted it correctly. Ovisously the S-class will remain in the same price point relative to the current S class. It's not like the new s class will be priced at say $100k, it will be at about the same as what's available today. What I was talking about was the fact that with a shorter wheelbase version, this can only mean that the short wheelbase version will be cheaper than the LWB. And when prices are lower, people buy more of them. Economics 101.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes | Bmw | Audi
Originally posted by internet_mafia
I interpreted it correctly. Ovisously the S-class will remain in the same price point relative to the current S class. It's not like the new s class will be priced at say $100k, it will be at about the same as what's available today. What I was talking about was the fact that with a shorter wheelbase version, this can only mean that the short wheelbase version will be cheaper than the LWB. And when prices are lower, people buy more of them. Economics 101.
internet_mafia, Short Wheel base S classes have been existing since the birth of S class!
Right now too in the W220 and previously in the W140 And also before that we always had the Short wheelbase S class for those who dont need the rear seats much!
Old 12-14-2002, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes | Bmw | Audi
And dun wanna **** any of u'll but does the front somehow look like the new camry?
Old 12-14-2002, 01:35 PM

i dont think they do
Old 12-14-2002, 01:41 PM

Lightbulb

All right then internet_mafia I apologize I must have misinterpreted what you really meant. But what about this column shifter<AMG>???? Does no one have something so say about that? It's sporty shifting would be gone and when I sat in a 745Li I couldn't figure it out at first. Any opinions???

DOMINIC
Old 12-14-2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by MBMWAUDI
internet_mafia, Short Wheel base S classes have been existing since the birth of S class!
Right now too in the W220 and previously in the W140 And also before that we always had the Short wheelbase S class for those who dont need the rear seats much!
I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. Mercedes yanked the short wheel based concept early in the W140's lifespan. If you don't believe me, find a short wheel base S class after '94.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:09 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
This is not the next S

hi guys,

those photos are not the next S class. if it is .....i have one sitting in my garage!!!!...and it's even the amg model...so maybe it's a 2006!!!!!! i'm sure there are differences here and there for the so called "focus group" purposes but it's not the final design that we will see in 2 years. if you don't believe me take a closer look.....where???are the fender flares the article talks about? oh...and when was the last time you saw a final photos of a Mercedes model more than 2 years ahead of schedule???

oh and another thing....the S class does come in a short wheelbase version....it's just not sold in the US.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:10 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Most automakers narrow down the semifinalists to 2 or 3 designs , then clinic each to different groups . There is no way in knowing if this car shown in Del Mar will be the "winner" .
Old 12-14-2002, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
S-class is available with short and long wheelbase without interruption since 1975.At least in Europe.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:30 PM

red bicycle
The S-Class was available with either the short or long wheelbase in the US until 1999, when the W220 was introduced with only the long wheelbase available here. In Europe, all models except for the S600 come with the short wheelbase standard.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:14 PM

I retract my original statement regarding the SWB and LWB, however, the SWB was only available in the US on the S320. On the W221, I guess that the 430 would come in a SWB option. Check it out on the MBUSA website.