S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S-430
Crankshaft Position Sensor

So the car has been acting strange lately. At times it will try to start but now turnover. Other times it will run fine and then at a stop light just turn off on it's own. The indy shop stated that they saw a Crankshaft Position Sensor code. My question is that will this part be covered my by most after market extended warranties? Secondly, can I order this part online or is the part vin # specific?

For those of you who had the dealership do the work, what was the total for part(s) & labor?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S-430
Wow...41 views and ZERO responses. This board use to be a lot more responsive back in the day.

Anyways a quick update for those who may run into the same problem I did. The dealership called and stated that it is in fact the Crankshaft Position Sensor. My aftermarket warranty (Diamiler Chrysler) will cover the diagnostics ($250), part ($200) & labor (1.5 hours). With a zero deductible I pay nothing.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Thank you for the update.

The dealership or indy tech is best positioned to tell you what the malfunction was.

You asked would "most" aftermarket extended warranties cover. There just isn't a way to answer that with any confidence. The warranty you have would determine it, and you didn't tell us which one that was. Plus, you can read it more easily than we can.

I presume you have gotten the repair done, since you were covered under your warranty; but there are a number of sources for parts. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...s500-part.html and https://mbworld.org/forums/site-announcements/229721-introducing-dpi-marketplace.html for starters, if you need parts again. The vendor can likely tell you if a part in VIN-specific (and it's a good thing that you yourself know to ask).

I haven't had a CPS replaced, but a search of the forum may bring up some information. A number of folks have reported it.

Last, a new website just launched to answer questions such as repair cost ranges. The site isn't adequately developed for Benzes yet; I just sent them recommendations on several categories to add (Airmatic components, ABC, CPS, MAF, and some other frequently recurring questions). They could use even more suggestions, I'm sure. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gene...air-costs.html