S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

00-02 Ipod integration??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
00-02 Ipod integration??

I've seen some threads about what looks like pretty complicated ipod integration into the controller, but for those of us on a more basic level who aren't really feeling the stop, pull-over, load a cd in the trunk method. Does anyone have cool suggestions about fm modulated ipod intergrations? Most units I've seen look big, clunky, and would look massively out of place surrounding by the nice wood-grain look of the console.
Do any of you have any pics of what you used, and how it looks?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 500sec, 1991 500sel, 02 clk430
why dont you just use a cassette adapter?
it works pretty good and its cheap
Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500 sport package
Thats what i use.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 S500 4MATIC
Originally Posted by frk203
why dont you just use a cassette adapter?
it works pretty good and its cheap
How can you use a cassette adapter. Don't you need a cassette player? I have an ipod I would like to use but that cassette option would be a good one.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
If you want good sound, forget the FM over-the-air units. There are some designs that use an FM modulator and connect directly to your FM antenna (e.g., the harmon Kardon Drive+Play, http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default_dp1.aspx) that provide better sound and somewhat less interference - but that unit brings the visible equipment you said you wanted to avoid.

I believe the best solution, albeit not cheap, is the Dension Gateway 500 for D2B. I have written up an installation for the MOST version - but that installation is much more complex than installing it in a D2B equipped car. It does require removing the COMAND unit to hook things up, but that is not difficult.

The D2B version does not give you song title readout, but there is an interface option that leaves all of your iPod controls and screen functioning, and gives you some steering wheel button control. See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-o-good-unit-poor-documentation.html and forget the stuff about making changes in the fiber optic connections in the trunk. They're not necessary with the D2B unit.

The Gateway 500 also gives you RCA AUX audio inputs and a USB input, so you're not limited to an iPod.

The audio is fed to your head unit over fiber optics, and its quality is limited only by the quality of the format you recorded onto your iPod. It is better than the MB iPod kit (which your car can't use anyway) because the OE kit is limited by the parameters of the AUX jack it uses.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 AM

1985 500sec, 1991 500sel, 02 clk430
Originally Posted by comforta
How can you use a cassette adapter. Don't you need a cassette player? I have an ipod I would like to use but that cassette option would be a good one.
i think (correct me if im wrong) that all s-class between 00-02 have casset player in the command system, you just have to press the eject button and the top part of the screen with the buttons moves down.

but if you are willing to spend the time and money follow Skylaw post.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 PM

S 320 - 2001
I am thinking of trying a cassette adaptor in my COMAND 2.5 , so I can hook up my ipod. But the control panel slides up and keeps trying to close with no room for the wire connected to the adapter. Anyone any ideas ?
Failing that, I might try an Alpine mp3 CD CHANGER to replace the existing MB changer ?
http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/Merce..._1_-_Alpine%29

thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 PM

S 320 - 2001
Question

Originally Posted by da boss
Thats what i use.
Does the cassette adapter cable get stuck when the cassette door closes ?

How did you get it to work ?

thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 AM

2003 S600 ; 1999 E55 (sold)
Hard drive solution

I looked at a number of these solutions but wanted to have a unit that would display all the song titles, but not replace the Comand unit. Also wanted to avoid the FM modulation as I had gotten static with that one and the cassette solution.

Sunil at Motorwerks was an invaluable contact, luckily I am local in Houston to review ideas w/him.

For my 600, I ended up with a hard drive based solution - 2.5" 320gb worth of songs, basically equivalent to an Ipod. It controls via a remote control unit and allows use of the volume controls on the steering wheel. It connects via the blank button on the Comand unit. The HDD is tiny and slips in the small 'net' on the passengers side, basically invisible.

One plus is that it also shows DVD's, AVI's, JPGs on the Comand screen, even while car is moving. Has USB drive and SD memory inputs to accept cards. And can be taken back and forth to the home PC to copy files via USB very easily, just shows up as a portable HDD.

One consideration is if you have a lot of MP3s. If you do, and are replacing a Comand unit, the Alpine DVD-MP3 (MVA-9861, may be a later one) is a good choice. It holds a double sided dvd worth of mp3, approx 9Gb. I used this solution to replace the cassette unit on my '99 E55. Only around $300 or so + install.

Aaron

Originally Posted by Air-Force-1
I am thinking of trying a cassette adaptor in my COMAND 2.5 , so I can hook up my ipod. But the control panel slides up and keeps trying to close with no room for the wire connected to the adapter. Anyone any ideas ?
Failing that, I might try an Alpine mp3 CD CHANGER to replace the existing MB changer ?
http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/Merce..._1_-_Alpine%29

thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 02:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
I went with the cassette adapter. Found one at AutoZone for like $11 bucks. The Ipod one is like $25. The cord is very slim so I didn't have any problems with the door not wanting to close. It works good, for now, till I upgrade my car, or come up with a different method
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM

S430, SL500
Originally Posted by Air-Force-1
Does the cassette adapter cable get stuck when the cassette door closes ?

How did you get it to work ?

thanks
I tried a few with the same issue and found that the Tesco value cassette adapter has a thin enough wire to allow it to close. Think it was about £2.

I have now routed the cable behind the wood trim (comes off very easily, just removed the 2 screws each side of the ash tray) and into the ashtray where my 80G Ipod video now lives with no wires showing
Old 09-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Daily - CL600
Originally Posted by Jezza
I tried a few with the same issue and found that the Tesco value cassette adapter has a thin enough wire to allow it to close. Think it was about £2.

I have now routed the cable behind the wood trim (comes off very easily, just removed the 2 screws each side of the ash tray) and into the ashtray where my 80G Ipod video now lives with no wires showing
That's an excellent idea. :-)

I wish there was an easy way thread the cassette adaptor cable behind the dash and through the steering column (under the airbag).

But then I'd need some odd sort of mount to secure an ipod at the base of my steering wheel without damaging the wood.

Regards,
Tom