Incredibly Bad Rear Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 and 550+ HP GTO
Incredibly Bad Rear Tire Wear

Anybody experienced this? I have AMG staggered wheels on my S (they were there when I bought it). In February or March I bought new Toyo Proxes T1-R tires all round (I've owned many of this brand, and many of this type on my GTO and other sports cars and have found them to be outstanding summer high performance tires). Anyway, after only four months the rears are chewed to nothing. I mean there are threads showing on the inboard tread areas. I've probably put 5000 or 6000 miles on teh car in those months, but I haven't been drag racing it or doing burn outs. The car was aligned by a MB dealer when the tires were mounted, so I'm at a loss. Both rears had heavy wear on the inboard two or three inches and the out board 1 inch or so.

If you've exprienced this, your insight would be appreciated before I begin tearing the car apart.

Best regards,

LR
Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
i did the same thing

i had the same tires on our last E320 and destroyed the rears based upon underinflation.i allowed them to get down around 28-32 psi and didnt notice until i was washing the car and noticed i had worn the inside rib down to the steel belt.ill estimate it took about 1200 miles to destroy them and they were allmost new when it happened.i rotated the front tires to the back and kept them at 42 psi until i sold the car and they had no abnormal wear.i installed the michelin pilots on the front and i was sold.no offense but i found the toyo proxes to be noisy and to performance oriented for me.and they allways needed air? they were also hard to balance and i had to go back to the dealer for steering shake.iv'e got potenzas on our S but as soon as they are worn im going back to michelin.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Magnified
Anybody experienced this? I have AMG staggered wheels on my S (they were there when I bought it). In February or March I bought new Toyo Proxes T1-R tires all round (I've owned many of this brand, and many of this type on my GTO and other sports cars and have found them to be outstanding summer high performance tires). Anyway, after only four months the rears are chewed to nothing. I mean there are threads showing on the inboard tread areas. I've probably put 5000 or 6000 miles on teh car in those months, but I haven't been drag racing it or doing burn outs. The car was aligned by a MB dealer when the tires were mounted, so I'm at a loss. Both rears had heavy wear on the inboard two or three inches and the out board 1 inch or so.

If you've exprienced this, your insight would be appreciated before I begin tearing the car apart.

Best regards,

LR
10,000 is not unusual for the rears, but I don't know how soft the compound is on the Toyos. In any case, your wear pattern does sound like underinflation. What pressure have you been using?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 S450
I have 02 S600.. I put new continentals on rear and they were gone in 12000 miles. They were called ContiExtreme Contact. 275:40ZR18 . I *****ed and got $275.00 refund for bad mileage.
I also went to MB dealer for allignment and they said the alignment was all in spec. I carry 35PSI in them..I got Michelen now.. Will see how they do..
Old 07-21-2008, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Even 35 may be a little low. Factory specs for the AMG set up on my car is 36 to 42 (depending on load) at the rear. Those are 19s, but I seem to recall my S55 on 18s had similar specs.

Also, you need to make sure those are cold (meaning current ambient temperature) readings. For instance, in the winter if your garage is 68 degrees and it's 32 outside you need to add 3 PSI to the indoor reading to compensate for the pressure drop when you pull out of the garage.

People often underinflate by not realizing how much variation temperature causes and tire life absolutely suffers.