S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

WHAT IS NANO PAINT????

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 sl500-2002 ml500-1998 sl500
WHAT IS NANO PAINT????

MY WIFE 2005 S500 GOT SOME HAIL DAMAGE-WHEN I QUESTION HIM THE BODY SHOP OWNER ABOUT NANO PAINT =HE GAVE ME A PUZZLED LOOK-AND SAID HE WOULD CHECK IT OUT??????THANKS JIMC
Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by reagentjimc
MY WIFE 2005 S500 GOT SOME HAIL DAMAGE-WHEN I QUESTION HIM THE BODY SHOP OWNER ABOUT NANO PAINT =HE GAVE ME A PUZZLED LOOK-AND SAID HE WOULD CHECK IT OUT??????THANKS JIMC
NANO PAINT IS THAT PAINT PROCESS/TECHNOLOGY THAT MERCEDES CAME UP WITH AND AS FAR AS I KNOW THEY ONLY DO IT AT THE FACTORY. I DOUBT YOU CAN GET THAT STUFF DONE AT A BODY SHOP BUT WHO KNOWS.

CAPS LOCK FTW!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by The Godfather
NANO PAINT IS THAT PAINT PROCESS/TECHNOLOGY THAT MERCEDES CAME UP WITH AND AS FAR AS I KNOW THEY ONLY DO IT AT THE FACTORY. I DOUBT YOU CAN GET THAT STUFF DONE AT A BODY SHOP BUT WHO KNOWS.

CAPS LOCK FTW!
Are you kidding me? You actually believe that since 2004 none of these cars can be painted?? my man,,You should get out more.. There are plenty of shops who do a really good job.. I am lucky to have one here in NW Austin. Good luck finding one hear you.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by my06clk
Are you kidding me? You actually believe that since 2004 none of these cars can be painted?? my man,,You should get out more.. There are plenty of shops who do a really good job.. I am lucky to have one here in NW Austin. Good luck finding one hear you.
dude are you dumb? I said that certain nano paint process most likely cannot be duplicated other than from the factory. Of course you can paint the car. It's just like do you use BASF, Dupont, PPG, or whatever paint. But if you want the OE Nano process, I don't believe your local Mexican can do it.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dude are you dumb? I said that certain nano paint process most likely cannot be duplicated other than from the factory. Of course you can paint the car. It's just like do you use BASF, Dupont, PPG, or whatever paint. But if you want the OE Nano process, I don't believe your local Mexican can do it.
Easy with the name calling fella...Its just paint talk you don't have to go there..

Although introduce on MB cars, Nano coating is nothing new. It's just a different type of clear coat that is used and has nothing to do with the "actual" paint as its sole purpose is to reduce those circular scratches from Car washes,etc...

So.. If your local "mexican" or whomever can't get a can of the right clear coat, them it's time to move to a better shop right? I don't think the OP was having an ethnic issue, he was simply trying to get his hail damage fixed..

BTW.... lathought MB may have been the first auto manufacturer to offer scratch resistant clear coat on vehicles, YOUR Local Mexicans have been using fancy Clear coats for years so I think you still need to get out more....

Now who's dumb?

Here!! Educate yourself...

http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=45

Last edited by my06clk; 08-04-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Nano paint refers to the clear coat on late model MBs. It's indicated by a "C" in the color code, like 040C for clearcoated black. The clearcoat has microscopic particles of ceramic, which bake into the finish and make the paint much more durable.

A high-quality body shop should have no problem repairing with this clearcoat, because they should be able to get to the curing temperatures and the paint is available commercially:

http://www.finishingtodaymag.com/Art...00000000167658

If they say "huh?," I'd keep looking.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Easy with the name calling fella...Its just paint talk you don't have to go there..

Although introduce on MB cars, Nano coating is nothing new. It's just a different type of clear coat that is used and has nothing to do with the "actual" paint as its sole purpose is to reduce those circular scratches from Car washes,etc...

So.. If your local "mexican" or whomever can't get a can of the right clear coat, them it's time to move to a better shop right? I don't think the OP was having an ethnic issue, he was simply trying to get his hail damage fixed..

BTW.... lathought MB may have been the first auto manufacturer to offer scratch resistant clear coat on vehicles, YOUR Local Mexicans have been using fancy Clear coats for years so I think you still need to get out more....

Now who's dumb?

Here!! Educate yourself...

http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=45
Nice, you got educated from an online article. Good job! You're still a clown and not making any sense. The point of what I've said is that the nano process, in essence the special clearcoat, is something that your local Mexican, or even Vietnamese bodyshop won't do. Perhaps there's a very small handfull of "nano" approved repair facilities, but most likely there's not. Even if there is, it may not be in the OP's locale. Best is to call up Mercedes in NJ and ask them where to go.

So whether it's my Mexicans, or not, bodyshops have been using clearcoats in 2 stage paint processes for years. I was eluding to the fact that the nano type of clear, and perhaps its possible different application process, is not one that your bodyshop will have.

And I've owned several Mercedes that had the Nano paint in the past, so I can talk about it. lol
Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I was eluding to the fact that the nano type of clear, and perhaps its possible different application process, is not one that your bodyshop will have.
You were alluding, but the PPG ceramic clearcoat is applied like any other baked-on lacquer. It's not hard to find a shop that does it regularly.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And I've owned several Mercedes that had the Nano paint in the past, so I can talk about it. lol
Ha?? MB only started using Nano from 2004 on select models.. Your was not included.. Arrogance and name calling doesn't make you look as good as it may make you feel.. a true sense of Self esteem usually works better.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Ha?? MB only started using Nano from 2004 on select models.. Your was not included.. Arrogance and name calling doesn't make you look as good as it may make you feel.. a true sense of Self esteem usually works better.
Ha! you got me! read the damn post guy. I said in the past, not that I owned one now. Who gives a damn anyway if I did or not own a benz with nano paint? what's next? I can't post here because I don't own a W220? read your original post you wrote to me and se who is arrogant...telling me to get out more. b!tch please you got your nano paint education from some online article and act like you know it all. gtfo with your girly car.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by whoover
You were alluding, but the PPG ceramic clearcoat is applied like any other baked-on lacquer. It's not hard to find a shop that does it regularly.
well then in that case a good quality bodyshop should be no problem. make sure they don't jipp you and use some cheap clear to raise their profit margin... learn something new everyday. I thought that there was a special process in addition to a specific clear.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Took my '05 to a dealer's body shop to repair a ding. They specifically said they use the "super nano clearcoat" - it was a concern of mine. While I could easily tell the difference between the non-nano clearcoat on my '00 and the nano clearcoat on my '05, just by feel, I can say the the repaired area on my '05 feels exactly like the original nano surface on the areas not repaired. I believe the dealer when he said he used the nano clearcoat.