electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
electrical gremlin

Before people say this I did search and nothing came up.Well it has been two glorious weeks of trouble free driving since I got my car back from the shop (had the front struts replaced and a new feul pump) and wouldn't you know it but the darn thing is back there again . Well as I was driving around last night a warning of the batery not charging and (you guessed it) airmatic malfunction flashed on my dash just before the car died (thankfully I was still in the parking lot). Well I let the car sit for a while and than started it. everything seemed to be O.K. and than wham; the same thing, warning and than the car died. At this point I am about to take a bat to my car and than I say lets just try to get this thing going again and low and behold it fires right up and makes it back to my house without any problems. Well I decide to take it out this morning to see if it was just a typical mercedes electrical gremlin or if there really was an issue. After doing about 20min of driving the car did the same thing; almost. This time just the dash went out (the tach still worked) but the car would not change gear and the windows, turn signals would not work. I call the shop and let them know about the issue (especially since it was just there two weeks ago getting the very thing that was comming up as a error message fixed) and they said that it might be a lose connection or one of the connectors rusted away (was a N.Y. car before I brought it down tho FL). Supposedly this is something that is common with theses cras. Is this the case or I am being fed a load of crap? Secondly if anyone has experienced this please help my gain some insight as to what might be the problem.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 PM

s430
electrical problems

Originally Posted by daily
Before people say this I did search and nothing came up.Well it has been two glorious weeks of trouble free driving since I got my car back from the shop (had the front struts replaced and a new feul pump) and wouldn't you know it but the darn thing is back there again . Well as I was driving around last night a warning of the batery not charging and (you guessed it) airmatic malfunction flashed on my dash just before the car died (thankfully I was still in the parking lot). Well I let the car sit for a while and than started it. everything seemed to be O.K. and than wham; the same thing, warning and than the car died. At this point I am about to take a bat to my car and than I say lets just try to get this thing going again and low and behold it fires right up and makes it back to my house without any problems. Well I decide to take it out this morning to see if it was just a typical mercedes electrical gremlin or if there really was an issue. After doing about 20min of driving the car did the same thing; almost. This time just the dash went out (the tach still worked) but the car would not change gear and the windows, turn signals would not work. I call the shop and let them know about the issue (especially since it was just there two weeks ago getting the very thing that was comming up as a error message fixed) and they said that it might be a lose connection or one of the connectors rusted away (was a N.Y. car before I brought it down tho FL). Supposedly this is something that is common with theses cras. Is this the case or I am being fed a load of crap? Secondly if anyone has experienced this please help my gain some insight as to what might be the problem.

Yes, I am having the very same issue can someone shed some insight please?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Posts 5 and 7 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ed-my-car.html answer your question, and Oliver K may be entirely right. Bad battery charging system or Camshaft Position Sensor, with a bad Mass Airflow Sensor a slight possibility. However, I would check them in the order given here.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Almost a Member!

s500
Was the alt.