CD Changer Installation Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500, 1992 Lexus LS400
CD Changer Installation Help

Hello all,

I am new here and would like some help on how to install a cd changer in my car. I have a 2000 Mercedes s500 but there wasnt a cd changer install in this car when I bought it. So I went ahead and bought a used one on ebay. Here are some pictures of it.
CD Changer Installation Help-cd5.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd6.jpg

I got the changer a couple of days ago and now trying to install it. I was told to look on the left side of the trunk to find a "optic cable". I am not sure what this cable looks like. I have taken some pictures to show the cables that I have found. Seems like one of the cable fits perfectly and powers the cd changer on but when I go to the dash it states "no cd changer". I am not sure if I am suppost to hook both wires to the back of the cd changer or not b/c there are two spot to plug something in the cd changer. Please look at these pictures.
CD Changer Installation Help-cd.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd1.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd2.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd3.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd4.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	cd5.jpg
Views:	2215
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	407792
Click image for larger version

Name:	cd6.jpg
Views:	2207
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	407793

I only hook up one wire that has three prongs.. I found an orange wire that is not connected to anything.. wat could this wire be for?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.. by the way, I have search this forum to find the same thread, but most of them are not in details, so it was hard for me to understand. Thanks guys...Take care
Attached Thumbnails CD Changer Installation Help-cd5.jpg   CD Changer Installation Help-cd6.jpg  

Last edited by legenesepimp; 09-24-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:33 AM

Anyone out there to help me?... i really need to get this install since I have already taken everything out of the trunk and its a mess. I want to get this done so I can clean up and drive the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Thank you for the thorough documentation of your question. For future reference it would help if you also included your location (at least, the continent you live on) - it can make a difference.

Your CDC does seem to be the proper part number for the '00 S-Class.

The phone bulletins (that's not a mistake) at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm will help you with locating wires and fiber optics. You seem to have found the right ones, but it will provide a good check. The electronics should be connected to the proper sets; this is so in order to allow the copper wires to deliver the wake-up signal; and so that they are in the proper sequence in the fiber optic ring (shown in the phone bulletin).

Once you have installed the proper CDC, your COMAND may have to be version coded for all of its functions to work properly. If your car never had a CDC, version coding is required; if it had one, version coding should not be required. Your dealer or a good independent can perform this function. The CDC may show in the ring (and on COMAND), but without version coding (which is akin to coding the registry in a Windows computer when you add new equipment) it may not function properly.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-25-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM

hi so the orange wire that i found must be the optic cable right? but how come its not plugged into anything? I found that wire wrapped with the other wires in the car tied wrapped.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 AM

01 CLK 55 AMG
cd changer?!?!?!? its 2008 buddy
Old 09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by legenesepimp
hi so the orange wire that i found must be the optic cable right? but how come its not plugged into anything? I found that wire wrapped with the other wires in the car tied wrapped.
If you look at the links Skylaw provided, you'll see that the fiber optic (D2B) connections between all the audio components form a ring. You will have to disconnect a coupler on the fiber and plug both ends into to CD changer to add the changer to the ring. Any break in the ring and the system won't work.

You may need a dealer to reprogram the system to recognize the new component on the ring.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
And yes, the fiber optics are orange. Again, check the phone bulletin link I provided.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 PM

i know its 2008 now.. but i just dont want to mess with the main in dash system. i want to keep it stock b/c i think it looks nicer. I used to own a bmw and had an in-dash tv deck with everything.. but i just recently got the benz so just want to keep it simple so the cd changer would do..

hmm seems hard to add this cd changer... i thought maybe the orange wire just plug into something, b/c i found that wire not hooked into anything.

i have already look at the link that skylaw have provided me but it only show me how to install the changer in the bracket but not how to hoook up the wire.. can someone please help me wiht more details.. i dont want to have to pay the dealership just for this.. that is the reason y i am here.. Thanks guys
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Just try and plug everything in.

When I got my car CD changer wasnt installed too.

I told the guy to fetch it from another Benz, 5 min later my car had the changer in the trunk
Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 PM

plug the orange wire where?.. i know one end goes in the changer what about the other end?.. i found the orange wire not plugged or attached to anything.. look at the picture.. it is attached to nothing.. thanks.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 designo
Yes, the orange cables are the fiberobtic you are looking for. The fiber has splice points in it. You will need to splice the CD changer wire into the existing loop for it to fuction correctly. That is why you need to look at the phone bulletin - to see where to splice into.

trey

Last edited by Trey; 09-25-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
plug the orange wire where?.. i know one end goes in the changer what about the other end?.. i found the orange wire not plugged or attached to anything.. look at the picture.. it is attached to nothing.. thanks.
into the CD changer slot where it is supposed to installed inside the trunk?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:56 PM

so basically tapped into the existing radio fiber optic wire b/c the radio wire is also orange and is connected to the amp.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 AM

the only orange wire that i c is the wire that is connnected to the amp and i am assuming that is for the radio... so should i just tapped into that wire with the other orange wire for the cd changer?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
You're not understanding the ring concept. The orange "wire" is a fiber optic cable. Somewhere along it there's a joint that has to be disconnected and both parts have to go into the CD changer.

OOOOOOO/OOOOOOOO

has to become

OOOOOOO/CD/OOOOOO

to insert CD into the fiber ring.

But because you don't have any experience with fiber optics, and because fiber is easily damaged if you don't know what you're doing and because you may need the dealers computer to make it work anyway, do yourself a favor and take it to a dealer to install. You are in over your head with some very complicated and expensive electronics.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 AM

is there a more in depth diagram that shows how exactly to do this.. i have install alot of regular monitors and changeers, and amps myself, but have never install a mb cd changer. i thought it would be easy. i thought it was prewired and just plug right in.. but i guess its not.. if anyone else know of a easier way, please let me know..

my last resort would be the dealer, but what a waste b/c i have the changer already and letting them install the wire would be a waste of money...mounting the cd changer is easy. thanks agian for all that helped..

Last edited by legenesepimp; 09-26-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 AM

2008 S550 designo
It couldn't be more simple. There is an existing fiber cable in the electronics compartment somewhere. It will have a splicing point in it. Disconnect that joint and plug in your CD changer fiber into the two open ends. The other rectangular end plugs into the changer. You've already figured out the power connector, so that is all there is to it. The D2B fiber is keyed so you cannot connect it incorrectly. One end is red, the other white - red plugs into white.

The only issues I could see you having are getting it in the proper location within the ring and possibly having to have the car version coded for the changer. However, you stated above that when you press CD, it states NO CHANGER - the car should be coded fine in this case.

And be sure not to kink the fiber cables too sharply or it could break.

trey
Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 AM

is the existing optic cable wire you're talking about, the radio one? thats the only one i see that is connected to the amp. and if so, there should be a splicing point in that wire? or is it another optic wire?...

i will have to dig through it again tomoorow and see what splicing point your refering too. ill probably take more pictures and maybe you can point it out to me trey.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 AM

2008 S550 designo
Yes, should be one going to the radio, amp, whatever. Trace it back from where it connects to the component and you should find a break in the cable where you can disconnect and splice in your CD cable.

Yes, take more detailed pics and we'll see if we can find what you're looking for. Hopefully your car isn't some one-off that is different...

trey
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 PM

ok i just took some more pictures to show what i have found. there is an existin radio orange wire that is already plugged into the amp as u can see in the pictures.. i am not sure where the splicing point on that wire is?.. r we splicing that same wire or another wire?.. i have taken alot of pictures where the black end is attached. is that the splicing point u r talking about?...

i also have that extra orange wire in the pictures as well, and i am assumin that, that is the cd changer optical wire. so where do i put this wire at?...

please look at all the pictures.. obviously the power wire is easy. im just having a hard time putting the cd changer optical wire in..

thanks again..

CD Changer Installation Help-cd10.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd11.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd12.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd13.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd7.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd8.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd9.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd1.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd2.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd3.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd4.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd5.jpg
CD Changer Installation Help-cd6.jpg
Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 PM

2008 S550 designo
Third picture clearly shows splicing point. Disconnect there and it will be clear where to plug the two ends of the CD cable.

Also pic # 6 has a good shot of the end of the splice point at the bottom. If you look closely, you will see the clear (white) end of the cable connection. After disconnecting that joint, the clear end plugs into the black (red, I believe) end of your CD cable. The clear end of the CD cable then plugs into the red end of your existing cable. You will then have a complete loop including the CD changer. Plug big black end into the big slot on the changer and the three prong power cable in and you should be good to go.

Just to be clear - I have circled the splice point in this pic.

CD Changer Installation Help-cd12.jpg

Good job with the pictures.

trey

Last edited by Trey; 09-26-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 PM

thanks trey.. i will try to do this tomorow.. since its pretty hard to see right now. i will keep u update.. thanks alot...
Old 09-26-2008, 10:58 PM

2008 S550 designo
Added a pic above after you viewed...

You're welcome, that's what we're here for.

trey
Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 PM

ok trey couldnt wait till tomorrow.. i went to my garage and got it done.. so easy.. i couldnt believe this.... would of cost me some money to bring to the dealer when its so easy...

thanks so much for ur help trey...

and thanks to everyone else that tried to help me...
Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 PM

2008 S550 designo
Glad you got it! Now enjoy it.

trey

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CD Changer Installation Help