S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

HRE 597R wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008 | 12:25 PM

S430
HRE 597R wheels

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of 19" HRE 597R wheels from a buddy of mine who bought them for his c-class but the offsets are wrong for his car. I have a 2000 S430 and although the offsets are a bit aggressive they fit just fine. HRE is saying that the 597R's are not load rated for my car. I'm not an expert on load ratings and wheels, but would this be to the point where it's literally dangerous to put these wheels on my car? I'm figuring if my stock 16" wheels can handle the weight of my car than these 19" HRE's should be just fine. Obviously if something went wrong with the wheels then HRE wouldn't be liable for anything since they told me they weren't load rated for my car, but I'm just wanting to know is it literally dangerous to put the wheels on my car or should I be just fine with the wheels on my car?

Any thoughts would be apprecited.
Old 10-10-2008 | 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by sdub32
Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to purchase a set of 19" HRE 597R wheels from a buddy of mine who bought them for his c-class but the offsets are wrong for his car. I have a 2000 S430 and although the offsets are a bit aggressive they fit just fine. HRE is saying that the 597R's are not load rated for my car. I'm not an expert on load ratings and wheels, but would this be to the point where it's literally dangerous to put these wheels on my car? I'm figuring if my stock 16" wheels can handle the weight of my car than these 19" HRE's should be just fine. Obviously if something went wrong with the wheels then HRE wouldn't be liable for anything since they told me they weren't load rated for my car, but I'm just wanting to know is it literally dangerous to put the wheels on my car or should I be just fine with the wheels on my car?

Any thoughts would be apprecited.
I don;t see how, but you didn't post any infor on the wheel except the size.. BUT,, if the manufacturer says no, I think I'd listen, who do you expect to go against that judgement on here?
Old 10-10-2008 | 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Last time I checked, HRE is the Breitling of wheels. I wouldn't question it's quality.
Old 10-12-2008 | 11:00 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
If the manufacturer states, the they are not load rated for your car, I wouldn't take the risk of mounting them!

The load rate inter alia indicates how "hard" the flank of the tire is. Thus, e.g. how good the tire is in being stable in fast driven curves. If the flank is too weak, worst case, the tire may get off the rim. If not, you may experience a very "soft" feedback from the steering wheel.

If you get involved in an accident, because of this (or maybe anything else), the insurance company may refuse to pay anything (at least this will be the case in Germany, where I am coming from. I suspect the same for the US).

I would consider this not being worth taking the risk.